Scripting and Mapping Tools

Ransom

There are quite a few tools to help make scripting and mapping easier. Sadly they seem to get little attention. Instead of creating a big list of stickies we will list all tools here. Please note some of these may be outdated! Let us know so it can be noted... If you see something that should be in this list reply to let us know. Any resources in development that cause conflict with project goals of MTA will not be included. A prime example would be unofficial map editors.

Scripting:

Edited by Vinyard
adding "newmodels map editor" link
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

EDIT: Note that this information was written years ago. As development progressed, both on MTA and the virtual softwares, the outcome of these methods have changed. As recently as Oct 2014 CCW updated VMWare text here for VMWare 6.0 ... and as of Dec 2014 qaisjp claims VirtualBox works again.

Run multiple clients

There are times you need more than 1 person to test your script. An example would be team game menus that react differently once another person has joined. It is a luxury to get someone to hang around and test while you debug even part of the time. What you can do is use a virtual machine...

Switch user (Tested on Win7 Ultimate / nvidia 9800 GTX / MTA 1.0.4 only!)

You can run GTASA/MTASA from multiple Windows accounts and log them into the same server using 127.0.0.1 ... just setup another user account and use switch user, DO NOT use log off. This seems to lead to network trouble in my testing, but you can still use it for script testing with full frame rate.

Switch user no longer works as of 1.0.5 for exploit reasons.

Virtual Machines

The Short Answer:

You need to use VMWare Player (free software)

You need to use VirtualBox (free software) and follow the instructions HERE.

p.s. You cannot connect locally to 127.0.0.1 as your virtual machine has its own virtual loopback for that address referring to itself. On your actual machine do start>run>ipconfig and use your router address in the virtual machine. Ex: 192.168.0.102 22003 ... alternatively if this does not work you can try your ISP IP. Goto whatismyip and use that address in the virtual machine. Ex: 73.114.81.112 22003

p.p.s. People with nVidia cards using 260.xx drivers: Do not enable 2D and 3D acceleration at the same time or you will run into THIS BUG ... for MTA you only need 3D acceleration. If you really want both, revert to 259.xx nVidia drivers.

p.p.p.s. Make sure you turn the GFX settings to minimal, especially draw distance. Note very low frame rate can mess up shooting sync.

The Long Answer:

The two big virtual machine softwares are vmware (most popular and not free) and virtualbox (open source and free).

• VMWare (Tested on VMware Workstation 7.1.2 build-301548 / Host Machine: Win7 Ultimate / Virtual: WINXP SP3 / nvidia 9800 GTX / MTA 1.0.4)
    From my testing, vmware will flicker and freeze on 1 frame of the MTA menu and black screen ingame. It works with GTASA but not MTASA. From my VMWare research this problem is related to refresh rates and emulating vsync (a physical monitor property). If you do start>run>dxdiag, display tab, "Test Direct3D" the spinning DirectX cube will be going insanely fast. This should not happen.
  • VirtualBox (Tested on 4.0.4 r70112 / Host Machine: Win7 Ultimate / Virtual: WINXP SP3 / nvidia 9800 GTX / MTA 1.0.4)
    I tested it in the same manner as above. The dxdiag "Test Direct3D" will show a DirectX cube spinning at normal speed. A drawback I have noticed is that VMWare was running GTASA at a better framerate than VirtualBox could. However, VMWare will not work for MTA as explained above. VirtualBox will work fine.

Edited by Guest
Exactly, he was logged in at least 3 MTA's with just one computer.

Wow I would have never thought of this (or tried it thinking it would work)... I tested and you are right. Thanks for mentioning, although, it is kind of a PITA to keep switching users. Switch user means much better frame rate but virtual machine means no switching users (and straying from Lua script program and debug errors). Seems odd you don't even have to double-install GTA or MTA. Anyways I'll edit that into my post.

edit: it seems to run into network trouble as you switch back to your actual username, but still good for testing as 2nd person with full framerate.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
You didn't, in 1.0.5 you cant switch users you cant run multiple clients. :\

From what I asked it has not been blocked but something is preventing it working for 1.0.5, it works on 1.0.4 as I have helped a guy personally awhile ago and that did the trick.

Hey Ransom, can you add my LUA compiler please:

viewtopic.php?f=108&t=33905

Yes. Thanks for your contribution.

I think this should be added to proper editor plugins - it is uploaded for a week and no one reported any serious bug

viewtopic.php?f=108&t=32529

also i tested the method with running multiple clients using multiple accounts on windows 7 (64) and it do not work on this OS

Okay, sorry for the delay. I missed this.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Looks like MTA Unofficial Sscript Editor won't work MTA 1.1...

What to do? Receive source code and upgrade it or delete it?

By saying won't work with MTA 1.1 you're not helping at all. It works fine for me so how am I supposed to know what to fix if it works? Also, by saying "Receive source code and upgrade it or delete it", you'll never get the source code.

I thought that it doesn't work for me, it wouldn't work for anybody. I got the error message of "MTA Server resources folder was not found". I got the server files, resources folder and all that stuff.

Also, I didn't say I wanted the code.

I thought that it doesn't work for me, it wouldn't work for anybody. I got the error message of "MTA Server resources folder was not found". I got the server files, resources folder and all that stuff.

Also, I didn't say I wanted the code.

Ok, is it bug window with that message or is it a small window asking you to make sure that you installed MTA correctly? Can you make sure the path stored in settings.conf to the server is correct (MTAServerPath)? If it isn't, try to change it manually and see if it works.