Banning from MTA?

MadKilla

:shock: Doesn't that just give loopholes for the cheaters to fall into? IE: Servers with less capable managers? A global MAC banning system ensures that anyone running MTA is safe from that 90% of people who just google "MTA HACK" and download the latest "S0beit sploiter"

o.O... It would seem I've coined a new phrase! :oops:

Anyway.. I don't see the detriment in making it global, since the only possible thing that could happen, is the modders would just wreak havock on the next server, and the next, and the next, and the next. If it's global, then it's just one discovery needed to rid them for good o.0!

...I like the idea of each MTA install having its own little code, randomly generated on install. Then if someone gets banned from the server, it bans IP and also there MTA code. This would ban them from the server, unless they reinstall MTA...

I like this idea, it means hackers will need to change their IP address, and reinstall MTA to change their "generated code". This would make it frustrating to cheaters, and would mean the cheaters wouldn't come back for 5 minutes until their done installing MTA all over again.

but!

This "generated code" idea may become exploited, as hackers would crack the installer so they can mess with the code. this would be more difficult to exploit than the MAC address idea.

The MAC address ban idea would easily fail over time, hackers will give out the directions to change the MAC address in with the exploiter.

Even so, MAC addresses can be changed easily
Unfortunate but true. :(

what we can learn from all this is that "security" is only a inconvenience. theres no program you can write to replace the watchful eye of human admins...woot! :tard:

what we can learn from all this is that "security" is only a inconvenience. theres no program you can write to replace the watchful eye of human admins...woot! :tard:

and you should never give admins access to add IPs/usernames to an MTA global ban list

Let's just assume that players who don't cheat want to play on a server without cheaters, and thus that server would have to have active admins in order to keep it cheater free. So really the best course of action would be to create ways for admins to detect cheaters more easily.

The obvious cases isn't the problem in my opinion, it's the more subtle cases that are the real headache. I would however be satisfied with a script that records top speed per player and makes that information available to admins.