Guide to getting gamepads working with MTA Dm.

Guest Oh_noes

Helloo.

I'm kinda new here, I've lurked around for a while, but have played MTA loads.

Now, I always used to use a gamepad while using MTA Race, and was very dissapointed when I found that MTA Dm did not include gamepad support.

So, I managed to find a way to get my controller to work with the game, and heres my tutorial on how to do it! :)

Fist off, you need to go into single player, and set the control layout to Mouse and Keys. As the MTA dm control settings override the normal control settings, all changes you make in MTA, will not affect your single player controls.

So now you need the program, this tutorial really only works for the Xpadder program, so go on http://xpadder.com/ and download the latest version. Also, while your on the website, go into the images section of the site, and download the picture that suits your gamepad the most.

Once you have downloaded the program, unzip it and open the folder. Open the 'Xpadder program, and you should have a screen that looks like this:

1-1.jpg

Now, once you have got to that stage you need something to work from, go into the 'Image' tab and click 'Open'. Once you have done this find the image of your controller you downloaded from the website earlier. Even though I use a 360 controller, It should be something like this:

2-1.jpg

Then:

3-1.jpg

Now, to get the sticks working, you have to go into the tab 'Sticks' and then enable both sticks, once you have done the Left and Up calibration test, once done, you must drag the analog sticks over the image. It should look something like this:

4-1.jpg

Now if you want to get the Dpad working, which I assume you do, go into the 'Dpad' tab and enable it, then calibrate it just like you done with the Analog sticks. Once you've done and moved the dpad onto the right place on the image, it should look something like this:

5-1.jpg

Now is for a slightly tricker part, the buttons.

To do this, go into the 'buttons' tab, and press each and every single button on your controller. Once done, your controls will appear on the screen. But they will look something like this:

6-1.jpg

Now, all the buttons are in the wrong place on the image, so simply drag and drop them onto the right places on the image. Once done, it should look something like this:

7-1.jpg

Now, just about everything is done on the setting up stage of things.

To carry on, ignore the 'triggers' tab as GTA does not support them, just go straight into the 'Finish' tab and click close.

Now thats all I can really say about the setting up that stage, but if you needed any more help, you can just click the Question mark at the bottom right of each tab.

Once closed though, ou now should have a window that looks like this:

8-1.jpg

Now, all you have to do is set keyboard buttons to the controller, and thats it. To do this, you just click each controller button on the screen and assign a button to it, like this for example:

9-1.jpg

Now, to set the analog sticks & D-pad. You must click the little spanner thats at the bottom right of each. To be honest, I recommend setting the right analog stick to be the mouse, and then set the left analog stick to be the arrow keys. And the D-pad to be the Numpad. I thought this as you need something to move the camera quickly, and thats means the left stick would be great to emulate the mouse, the other two are obvious really. When your doing that little thing, it should look a bit like this:

http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p227 ... t=10-1.jpg

You can set the keys to what you want, it's personal preference really. Once done though, you save the profile as, and keep the program running when you start MTA. When in MTA, you can just set the keyboard controls to whatever you set the controller buttons to.

You can use the controller to set it up if you completely emulated the mouse as well!

If you need any more help of questions about this, just ask me. :D

So can anyone post their pre-made xpadder file?

I am a bit unsure how to get it all working with different controls for On Foot and In Car.

Also things like looking behind you on the real GTA controls was done by holding both L2 and R2 and that would look behind you. Tho on foot look behind you was left analog stick push (iirc)

• 2 weeks later...
So can anyone post their pre-made xpadder file?

I am a bit unsure how to get it all working with different controls for On Foot and In Car.

Also things like looking behind you on the real GTA controls was done by holding both L2 and R2 and that would look behind you. Tho on foot look behind you was left analog stick push (iirc)

infact i have the xbox 360 wifi controller but i also have the pc usb gamepad so if I can use the usb controllor i'd prefer that

cause i works good in single player mode i mean offline.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I saw there were talks of working with Racer_S to get SAAC working in MTA. Was wondering what ever became of that and if MTA makes native support for controllers will they implement look around with the secondary analog stick. That XPadder program is .....eh..ok, but fails in comparison to SAAC imo.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice guide, wish I woulda bothered tryin to find it about two years ago since dm development started :P

Too bad you can't really perfect the controlling though, since two functions can't be put onto 1 key using keyboard assignment, rather than linking to JOY triggers.

• 2 months later...

While I do not know why the MTA team have decided to use their own set of control settings for DM I must say that I am rather disappointed. There appeared to be no problems using the settings from the single player mode before, so why are these settings now ignored? I hope the MTA team will see fit to reply in a professional manner (unlike some other posts) and please let us know why it has been seen fit to relegate everyone to the keyboard. I haven't actually used the keyboard to steer in an automotive title since the 80286 :shock: lol that was some time ago and probably gives some clues as to my age :wink:

(whoever said games were just for kids?? For the Horde!)