MTA freezing every three seconds.

DRW

Question

I've been using a laptop for 4 years already and MTA worked flawlessly all that time, the laptop had 4GB RAM, Dual-Core 2GHz and a shitty Intel HD Graphics integrated card. 5 days ago, I bought a new PC, which has 4GB RAM, Quad-Core 3.2GHz and an Nvidia dedicated graphics card + an Intel HD Graphics integrated card. Yesterday I've installed MTA SA and ran it on my local server so I could continue developing, but seems like my game freezes and unfreezes every 3 seconds accompanied by the loading spinner at the bottom. It's unplayable now, and I don't understand what the hell is happening, also, sometimes when I restart my MTA it doesn't show the splash screen but it shows MTA as a process on the task manager, until I restart Windows entirely, then it works again. My OS is Windows 8.1.

NOTES: I'm using the Nvidia default graphics card to play the game, using 1920x1080 and two monitors.

• Answers 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I'm bumping this post because I have updated to Windows 10 and MTA still works the same.

Stuttering happens and it's unplayable, maybe V-Sync enabling-disabling could solve it but sadly there is no V-Sync option here (This may not be effective since I think MTA SA is mostly CPU-Bound).

Now that I have updated there are only two problems: It's either problem of my system or a problem with MTA SA.

My detailed hardware is:

Processor: Intel Core i5-4460at 3.2GHz (3.4GHz turbo)

GPU: Nvidia GT705 at 996MHz clock speed and 2GB DDR3 Dedicated + Intel HD Graphics 4600 2GB Shared.

RAM: 4GB DDR3.

Storage: 1TB SATA3.

Edited by Guest
Are you sure it's related to your hardware, and not some recently added code which is intensive on client processing?

If you're talking about my server's scripts: No, because last time I've played this server I was on my old PC and everything worked flawlessly, I didn't update it since then. Also, I've tried to enter other servers and happens the same thing. Since the GTA: SA copy is the same (because it's from Steam) and MTA didn't get any new update while I was switching PCs the only thing that remains is either compatibility problems or hardware problems, and I think my hardware has nothing to do with this.

Tried to run the original GTA: SA and yeah, it works without any performance problems, so definitely it's MTA's problem. Also, to make sure it wasn't a problem of my Steam copy (Because I know Rockstar messed up GTA: SA on Steam) I have downloaded a torrent of the game and installed MTA on it and it keeps freezing, I also put it in compatibility mode and ran it as admin: same. I don't know what else to do.

I think you should open the task manager, process tab, and screenshot it when MTA is opened.

I think I can help you, since I had the same problem after upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 7.

Image: https://gyazo.com/843fb9bb9bb1ca6c7019a668631db285

You mentioned nothing about drivers at all. They're usually the culprit in issues like these.

I first launched MTA when I got my PC and it had the default drivers installed, didn't work well. Then I updated the drivers along with the newest Windows 8 updates, I was still having this problem, after that, I've updated to Windows 10 and ran it again with the default drivers, same, then tried to run it again with the newest drivers installed and nothing changed from the start.

New details:

When these temporal freezes happen, the MTA loading spinner appears.

Since I have two monitors, I can move the cursor from one screen to another, except on games, on games the cursor locks into the main screen so it can't be moved to the other screen and minimize the game by clicking the other screen, well, when this freeze happens, the cursor gets unlocked and it's able to move from the main game screen to the other screen until the freeze ends. I'll soon upload a video playing MTA with this issue so you can understand what I mean.

When I close MTA from the main menu of the game itself, the process seems to be killed and Steam shows that I'm not playing MTA, but when I want to start MTA again, Steam shows that I'm playing the game but not even the splashscreen appears, although the process shows up in the task manager. I have to force the PC to turn off (Unplug the PC's cable) because if I just shut it down from the Windows option MTA will most likely not work when I turn the PC on again.

Here is a curious thing I've never experienced before.

Seems like my PC keeps some processes on even when the PC is off, let me tell you why:

When I saw MTA was not working properly I ran proxy_sa.exe just for curiosity. The GTA: SA splashscreen appears but it suddenly stops working although the process is running on the background. When I tried to kill it from the Task Manager the PC gave me a denial of access so I couldn't kill the proxy_sa task. When I ran MTA the game said that an instance of GTA: SA was already running and it asked me if I wanted it to kill the process, I accepted but MTA couldn't kill it, so I shut down my PC and started it again. I ran MTA and it told me the same thing: the process was already running. When I opened the task manager I saw proxy_sa in the list and it still denied my access to kill it, I had to unplug the PC's cable to get rid of proxy_sa. MTA doesn't do that, I can kill the process but it seems to have the same behaviour, it'll still behave the same until I unplug the cable, if I don't do that, the game will keep showing up as a process even if the game doesn't show up. Strange, but only seems to happen with MTA: SA.

Please download, extract and run MTADiag and follow the instructions.

Press 'n' when asked.

Post any Pastebin URL MTADiag gives you.

MTA install path: C:\Program Files (x86)\MTA San Andreas 1.15 
MTA version:      1.5.1-9.07742.0.000 
GTA install path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockstar Games\GTA San Andreas 

DirectX is up-to-date. 

Checking for missing GTA files, please wait... 
Checking 383 out of 383... 
MTADiag will now download the latest patch of MTA:SA. 
Downloaded: 100% 
Launching the installer... 
Run MTA once the installer has finished to see if it works now. 
If MTA works now, enter 'y' to quit MTADiag. 
If it doesn't, enter 'n' to continue diagnostics. 
n 
MTA version is now: 1.5.1-9.07742.0.000 

Checking for modified or nonstandard GTA files, please wait... 
Checking 383 out of 383... 
Gathering information. Please wait... 
[=====>                                            ]  10%     ERROR: This operation returned because the timeout period expired. 
[====================>                             ]  40% 

That's it.

It freezes on the 40%, the files have been extracted and ran as an admin but got the same results.

I thought the same, that's why I've tried other servers: SAES RPG and Grafuroam. They all work the same as my own server, so no, it does not have anything to do with the scripts. Anyway, it's obvious that it has to do with the MTA client, none other external issues. Sound works perfectly, but the client freezes completely and every client-sided activity stops responding as you can notice at second 0:35 and 2:15-- The zombie continues its movement after the freezing happens, but keeps himself in the same position while and after it froze.

Details: When I start MTA, the main menu works flawlessly and doesn't suffer the freezing problems until I join a server. After disconnecting from the server, the main menu will be suffering the freezing problems as it was when I was playing on a server. Connecting to a server triggers this whole problem and keeps it until I quit MTA.

Sorry for not giving you more details, but I'm having lots of exams, baccalaureate is difficult.

Well this gets me very angry.

I can start MTA: SA, but if I close it I won't be able to run it again until I fully restart my PC. It sometimes gives me an error like "Memory could not be read", but after some attempts trying to run the game it ends up starting. Going to run MTADiag, but I doubt it'll work.

• MTA Team

This is an exempt from your core log:

** -- Unhandled exception -- **

Version = 1.5.2-release-7844.0.000

Time = Sat Feb 06 10:14:27 2016

Module = C:\Program Files (x86)\RivaTuner Statistics Server\RTSSHooks.dll

Code = 0xC0000005

Offset = 0x00009950

EAX=00000000 EBX=00000000 ECX=1D685D44 EDX=00000002 ESI=192AF93C

EDI=0D8E0000 EBP=192AF99C ESP=192AF918 EIP=01C39950 FLG=00010246

CS=0023 DS=002B SS=002B ES=002B FS=0053 GS=002B

** -- End of unhandled exception -- **

So maybe try disabling or uninstalling RivaTuner/MSI AfterBurner and see if MTA:SA will work correctly.

Also, your GTASA install seems to be modded. We recommend using a clean GTASA install for MTA:SA.

As for potential issues with stuttering, your video card (GeForce GT 705) is pretty bad performance-wise.

I would still recommend using the integrated one (HD Graphics 4600) instead, after updating the driver for it.

This is an exempt from your core log:

** -- Unhandled exception -- **

Version = 1.5.2-release-7844.0.000

Time = Sat Feb 06 10:14:27 2016

Module = C:\Program Files (x86)\RivaTuner Statistics Server\RTSSHooks.dll

Code = 0xC0000005

Offset = 0x00009950

EAX=00000000 EBX=00000000 ECX=1D685D44 EDX=00000002 ESI=192AF93C

EDI=0D8E0000 EBP=192AF99C ESP=192AF918 EIP=01C39950 FLG=00010246

CS=0023 DS=002B SS=002B ES=002B FS=0053 GS=002B

** -- End of unhandled exception -- **

So maybe try disabling or uninstalling RivaTuner/MSI AfterBurner and see if MTA:SA will work correctly.

Also, your GTASA install seems to be modded. We recommend using a clean GTASA install for MTA:SA.

As for potential issues with stuttering, your video card (GeForce GT 705) is pretty bad performance-wise.

I would still recommend using the integrated one (HD Graphics 4600) instead, after updating the driver for it.

As I said already, I've tested MTA on modded and non-modded cracked versions, same as the Steam version, and none of them worked properly. I already know that the GT 705 is bad performance-wise, but I can run Warframe, GTA V, Fallout 3/NV, Rocket League, Skyrim, L.A. Noire, CS:GO, Shadow of the Colossus (emulated) and GTA IV (which is very poorly optimized) at a very acceptable performance. Switching to the HD 4600 is useless, it has the same freezing issues and the FPS are WAY worse, considering that I haven't installed any Intel HD driver, so that should probably be the problem, but since it has the same client freeze thing, I doubt it'll do anything.

Damn, I can't even quit MTA: SA because if I do so, as soon as I launch it again, MTA: SA will show up as a process to the task manager and Steam, but the game won't even appear, I'll have to restart my PC every time the game acts like this or else it won't work. I highly doubt it has anything to do with the GT 705. Running it with admin permissions, compatibility options and setting realtime priorities didn't do the trick either.

I'll remove MSI Afterburner and RivaTuner as soon as I come home and I'll see, and also install the default Intel HD drivers. But I have to say that the original GTA: SA works at 1920x1080 - 60FPS on low, and 1440x900 - 100FPS. I'll keep you updated.

EDIT: Now that I have read some parts of the log, that GTA: SA version is not modded, it everything is pure Steam version and it just had ENB Series, a little .asi that doesn't even work and a mousefix dll, played the original GTA SA without those things and MTA: SA didn't work any better.

• MTA Team
I already know that the GT 705 is bad performance-wise, but I can run Warframe, GTA V, Fallout 3/NV, Rocket League, Skyrim, L.A. Noire, CS:GO, Shadow of the Colossus (emulated) and GTA IV (which is very poorly optimized) at a very acceptable performance.

No worries. I just wouldn't be expecting much from that GPU, but if you know that already then it's alright.

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nv ... 3024vs2168

http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/index.ph ... 00-desktop

And no, this isn't just due to the benchmarks listed above but due to the pure specs of that card... Then again, you seem to have a different variant of it with 2GB of VRAM so maybe it performs slightly better.

As I said already, I've tested MTA on modded and non-modded cracked versions, same as the Steam version, and none of them worked properly.

(...)

EDIT: Now that I have read some parts of the log, that GTA: SA version is not modded, it everything is pure Steam version and it just had ENB Series, a little .asi that doesn't even work and a mousefix dll, played the original GTA SA without those things and MTA: SA didn't work any better.

Yeah, you seem to have a lot of d3d* DLLs in your GTA:SA install, so that does not really look like the game is not modded. Even if just in case, I would keep those DLLs out of the GTA dir.

You can make a copy of your game directory for the single player mode, then you can mod it to your liking... or you can do exactly opposite, you can rename your GTA copy, then download a clean copy from Steam and use it solely for MTA.

Switching to the HD 4600 is useless, it has the same freezing issues and the FPS are WAY worse, considering that I haven't installed any Intel HD driver, so that should probably be the problem, but since it has the same client freeze thing, I doubt it'll do anything.

Do not install a default driver for Intel HD Graphics, use a newer one instead.

Eg. this one: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downlo ... 0-4th-Gen-

I'll remove MSI Afterburner and RivaTuner as soon as I come home and I'll see, and also install the default Intel HD drivers. But I have to say that the original GTA: SA works at 1920x1080 - 60FPS on low, and 1440x900 - 100FPS. I'll keep you updated.

Did disabling or uninstalling the Rivatuner / MSI Afterburner make any difference for you? Either for the stuttering or freezing when quitting MTA:SA?

In one of your posts you've said that you had stuttering in your own server. Did you also mean that you have the same issue in your locally hosted server with all the default settings and so on?

I mean the one which you normally get by using the Host Game option in the main menu of MTA:SA client.

Anyway, since it's quick and easy to check, let's eliminate the performance aspect. What about setting the game to minimal video settings (or even better, default ones - to achieve that simply temporarily rename your gta_sa.set file located in your Documents\GTA San Andreas User Files directory, then run the single player mode)? 640x480 resolution, low quality, no visual enhancements and no antialiasing?

Do those settings still give you stuttering in your locally hosted server?

Did disabling or uninstalling the Rivatuner / MSI Afterburner make any difference for you? Either for the stuttering or freezing when quitting MTA:SA?

Yeah, it didn't work. Also, that's not stuttering, because the freezing thing takes too long to be considered as that.

Anyway, since it's quick and easy to check, let's eliminate the performance aspect. What about setting the game to minimal video settings (or even better, default ones - to achieve that simply temporarily rename your gta_sa.set file located in your Documents\GTA San Andreas User Files directory, then run the single player mode)? 640x480 resolution, low quality, no visual enhancements and no antialiasing?

Do those settings still give you stuttering in your locally hosted server?

I've removed the gta_sa.set file before, even tried to lower the graphics because at the first time I've seen this I thought this was a graphics-related issue.

I haven't tried a default local server, just my local modded one, but as I said before, I have tried to play popular servers like SAES, SAUR, Tohuwabohu, Grafuroam and two other random servers, all of them made my MTA work badly, anyways I'll give it a try as soon as I come home.

I usually don't even use AA nor dynamic shadows to keep my res as high as possible at a very acceptable performance, but damn:

This has logic, the GPU isn't good enough and stuttering may happen because some areas or actions on a game do this.

This has no logic, the GPU, CPU and everything is way better and that "stuttering" happens every exact time lapse, no matter the area, no matter the action, no matter the situation, it just happens.

I'm pretty sure the GPU or the CPU aren't the root of the problem, but who knows? It may be the HDD, or the RAM, too.