clientside max fps

UnchiuDawg

Hello, I am wondering if it is possible to overwrite a client's maximum FPS or to set it to match the server's maximum FPS.

I am aware of the setFPSLimit function, but there's this: "Note: When set client side, the actual limit used is the lowest of both the server and client set values"

As some of you might already know, many game physics are affected by the FPS (swimming speed, shooting speed, maybe even more).

I've discovered a client command on some german MTA forum that can change the client FPS, fps_limit, but I couldn't find any information on the wikipedia or this forum. I tried using it before connecting to my server and this is what happened after setting it to 20 (fps_limit = 20).

After I connect I get this in my console: Server FPS limit: 60 (Using 20). The game is indeed running at 20 fps.

I tried to use a clientside script to set the fps to 60 but it still won't change.

I fear that people might use this for desync purposes or for abusing the faster swimming speed or stuff like that, so is it possible to just force the maximum FPS?

You can't force maximum FPS, that wouldn't make sense. You'd be asking a computer to render more frames per second than it is capable of. Rendering a frame takes quite a lot of calculations, if you didn't know. You could change their frame limiter however, I'm not sure whether it's possible, in MTA, to override the fps_limit cvar.

And as far as I'm aware, FPS glitches occur when one's FPS exceed a certain value (I'd assume it to be around 36 FPS, which is what GTA's frame limiter limits FPS to. Of course, FPS slightly higher won't be a problem but if I recall correctly, at 45 FPS, the Skimmer starts to glitch out, not being able to take off from water, etc.)

Edited by MrTasty
1 hour ago, MrTasty said:

You can't force maximum FPS, that wouldn't make sense.

It makes perfect sense, I want to force the MAXIMUM fps limit, not the MINIMUM. I'm not asking the computer to perform that amount of frames and nothing less, I'm asking it to perform up to that number IF there is enough computing power available.

And as far as I'm aware, FPS glitches occur when one's FPS exceed a certain value (I'd assume it to be around 36 FPS, which is what GTA's frame limiter limits FPS to. Of course, FPS slightly higher won't be a problem but if I recall correctly, at 45 FPS, the Skimmer starts to glitch out, not being able to take off from water, etc.)

Yes, different FPS limits on different clients will cause them to have different gameplay experiences. My example was regarding the swimming speed difference between low FPS ( 20 fps swimming speed is huge ) and high FPS ( 90 fps would barely move). Your example is an even better one. There are also things like boat speeds being different on different FPS limits.

I want all clients to have the fps_limit cvar to be forced to be at least equal with the server's fps limit. If their computers can't handle 60 fps I'm pretty sure it won't be as low as 20 to be that much of a difference.

You could change their frame limiter however, I'm not sure whether it's possible, in MTA, to override the fps_limit cvar.

That's what I was asking about, the limiter, the maximum fps limiter, if it is possible to override the fps_limit cvar and how to do so.

Edited by UnchiuDawg
21 hours ago, Randomly said:

Sorry... what's the problem with the setFPSLimit?

If a player sets their fps_limit cvar in their client by using the console I am not able to overwrite that limit with setFPSLimit. I tried using it on both serversided and clientsided scripts.

I want to run my server at 60fps and I every player to have their framerate as close to it as possible in order to avoid weird desyncing or abusing game glitches affected by the framerate (such as swimming speed, shooting speed, whatever).

This is literally the third time I'm explaining it, what is it that you don't understand? lol

Edited by UnchiuDawg