Virus in MTA (apparently)

Your virus scanner informs you that the Multi Theft Auto 0.5 executeable is a virus or malware

MTA does not contain any viruses, malware, adware or spyware. If your virus scanner informs you that it is infected, either you have a virus on your computer that is infecting your files, or one of our mirrors has been infected with a virus or your virus scanner is making a mistake. McAfee has been known to make this mistake. We've informed NAI of this, but they've yet to fix it. In the meantime, disable your virus scanner while playing. Also, ensure you only download from this site. This link is hosted by our webhost. Use this if you doubt the validity of your copy of MTA.

:wink:

We've told mcafee that its a false positive (search the forum for more info), but they don't appear to care. I use AVG myself, and its never picked up MTA as a virus, but then, as I don't actually have MTA installed, it might do now. I'm certain that it doesn't contain a virus though, as long as you've downloaded it from this site.

Actually the Known Issues thread only refers to the main MTAClient.exe executable. The image shown above clearly states that the "virus" is detected in the Uninstall.exe file, which is new to me.

I could understand it detecting the main exe for virus-like activity because it edits GTA's memory addresses but the uninstall utility doesn't (or at least shouldn't) do this. Therefore it sounds as if you do actually have a virus. It may not necessarily have been in the file when you downloaded it but the virus may have attached itself to that file.

• MTA Team

It is possible the uninstaller gets picked up due to the fact that it deletes register keys.

Also the virus itself is not inside the online DB from AVG. Dropper does ecist and is a virus that infects the boot sector of a HDD but Dropper.Generic.EX is unknown

• 2 weeks later...
McAfee and AVG are both bullshit virus scanners...It doesn't srprise me that their scanners are inaccurate.

They're actually perfectly good virus scanners, I've used them both and never had any problems (with viruses or false alerts)

McAfee had me install a whole bunch of shit onto my computer (like AOL promotions and that shit). It also would uninstall, it'd always 'fail' half-way thru the uninstall window. And AVG...is just bad. Norton and ZoneAlarm is better.

McAfee had me install a whole bunch of shit onto my computer (like AOL promotions and that shit).

What version did you get? Some free one? and you probably ticked all the boxes and didn't bother to read the agreement saying that it would install that stuff, got yourself to blame.

McAfee had me install a whole bunch of shit onto my computer (like AOL promotions and that shit). It also would uninstall, it'd always 'fail' half-way thru the uninstall window. And AVG...is just bad. Norton and ZoneAlarm is better.

I have to disagree, I had to format my PC 4 times with Norton because it failed to detect a virus which kept crippling my PC.. Any yes i did update it everyday and scan once a week.

And zonealarm just sucks. You'd better just only use the Windohs firewall. Zonealarm and a 'performed an opereration on something that is not a socket' ... AAARRRGGG... dont touch the TCP/IP stack please!

McAfee had me install a whole bunch of shit onto my computer (like AOL promotions and that shit).

What version did you get? Some free one? and you probably ticked all the boxes and didn't bother to read the agreement saying that it would install that stuff, got yourself to blame.

Uhhh...no, it came with my Dell. I actually didn't even agree to have McAfee installed, since I had norton.

ZoneAlarm is pretty good, but it does have ALOT of false alarms and it's very sensitive.

I used to use ZoneAlarm but whenever my computer crashed, it said that the crash could have been caused by a hacker and it had disabled internet access as a precaution. I then had to go through a complicated procedure to get it back that involved editing several files and restarting the machine twice. This got incredibly annoying so I uninstalled the program.

I suggest you all install all the Windows Updates before you blame antivirus software and firewalls. I'm assuming you all know that without them, antivirus software work very innefficiently because they have to remove another virus every 5 minutes, and already installed viruses can also cause problems with firewalls. Why continiously repair problems when you can prevent them?

• 1 month later...