Wastage of Servers and players

ankuras143

Hello All,

I'm a new player of MTA and something came under my notice. I see hundreds of servers going empty or have very few players in them like 15-20.

I feel that is a complete waste of players, servers, time and the hardworks of the creators of those particular servers. I am not advertising any particular server here.

Why don't you guys join servers which are popular, have plenty of people, have various other game modes. Now you might be thinking why should you do so? Its ok, you want to make something of your own idea, something unique and creative. But you can also do that on other servers as well. Make suggestions, share your ideas, may be even become an admin or a developer or whatever options are there. I don't know much about them. You guys do.

My point is that, those servers which hardly have maximum 500-800 players will have a boost in numbers and a better gameplay. The more the players, the better is it, isn't it?

Now you might say there will be language barrier, opinion clashes, etc. Those can always be sorted out. MTA is all about great community! That is why we are here.

Servers like CIT, FFS gaming, SAUR are the ones with maximum players I see. There are also some other servers of other languages which also have a great number of players in them. Join them and make your contributions in them instead of just sitting with empty servers and only a handful of players trying to figure out what to do in such a big city.

Let me know your opinions.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Uknown. said:

The thing is that a good amount of servers look for $ with minimum effort, cuz if they would spend effort on it there would be more players in MTA.

Wouldn't they enjoy more if they join any of those popular servers and contribute?The player numbers would drastically increase making the game more fun. :/

What do you think?

One reason is money - on the average in the tens of bucks, I'd expect, however the server owner's median age might be under 20, so the actual value is relative. The second is that everyone wants to bask in the glory and demigod status of being a server owner/admin, probably for the same reasons. This being said, I fully agree with the OP, helping others and joining forces is a good start to accomplish great things. We should not forget that all this was made possible for us by a bunch of people that did it for free and to have a good time - an example we should all follow.

• Sad 1

I'm no programmer so taking a look would be wasted time. Still, in my oppinion this piece of art costs way more than the average MTA user could reasonably afford. We're goin' off-topic here, but is there, anywhere, demographic data about MTAs userbase?

Edited by Zorgman
  • Like 1

I'm not really playing any major servers (well actually no servers at all, all my former gaming time goes into dystopia right now, all for the better after all), but I've tried the big ones, SAUR for instance. Looked very neat and professional if you are after that gameplay, and I assumed it's way better than what SAMP has to offer. Without actually trying SAMP, I must add :) I just got straight into MTA. Must have been that image of a hobo shooting from the back of a Bobcat :) Servers like Einheit's for instance - does SAMP have something equivalent?

• MTA Anti-Cheat Team
32 minutes ago, Uknown. said:

MTA is better than SAMP but theres a reason why SAMP is being played more than MTA.

It's not, SAMP often doesnt reach about 24,000 concurrent players that MTA achieves around 11PM CEST. (doesnt even come close minus bots)

Also the SAMP developers created or tolerated a loophole that allows bots to occupy player slots, resulting in you believing SAMP is played more due to fake clients (the immense playercounts in their browser and server trackers is mostly the result of player bots)..

Guess 3 times why the loophole exists, doesnt get fixed or got created. Illusions keep people playing..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

C'mon, you guys are diverting from the topic. I mean can't something be done about it? If the servers with 0 players are inactive for a certain time, they can be pulled off. Or maybe a server has to have a certain number of players for atleast a certain time in order to keep running. I mean something like this can be done, right?

Especially the empty servers should definitely be shut down. Makes no sense to keep them running.

• Like 1
  • Administrators

Woah, hold on there a minute bud. Just slow down ;)

Why should empty servers be shut down? The thing that doesn't make sense is that you're not the one paying for that server to be running, so what does it matter?

I'm finding it hard to follow the logic of your other argument too; getting everyone to play on the popular servers, because those servers with few players are "a waste of time".

People like to play in their own little communities, some of which have been around for over a decade now. Also I'm afraid that pushing the entire MTA playerbase to choose between a few servers just really isn't practical - I'm not even going to explain why, just try to think about it.

• Like 2

Shutting servers down would be a shame and contrary to the principle, as I see it.

Perhaps a partial solution would be some better sorting and rating system for the server browser to enable people to easily find a good quality server? Maybe a built in server rating resource, asking you to grade it after you play for a while? Maybe the MTA team taking the time to select and endorse a few new 'official' gamemodes and servers? Things might get out of hand for the latter though, jealousy is strong within this community :) 

• Like 1

You cannot shutdown a server, because first you are not paying for its hosting, second it maybe is under development so its just avaible for the developer and some other people. Leave the idea of joining more popular projects to level up their total earnings per month :P I think no one would be interested in wasting his time in order to improve the server without earning anything. 

6 hours ago, Dutchman101 said:

It's not, SAMP often doesnt reach about 24,000 concurrent players that MTA achieves around 11PM CEST. (doesnt even come close minus bots)

Also the SAMP developers created or tolerated a loophole that allows bots to occupy player slots, resulting in you believing SAMP is played more due to fake clients (the immense playercounts in their browser and server trackers is mostly the result of player bots)..

Guess 3 times why the loophole exists, doesnt get fixed or got created. Illusions keep people playing..

Thanks you have opened my eyes, cuz I havent thought of the NPC's straight out the box. xD

I think MTA is okey the way it is. Anyone that wants should be able to open a server and get it equally "findable" as the rest. Those 0 player servers, just having the owner and getting some of his friends to play MTA, gives this mod new players. Everything contributes.

You will still have the searcher to find servers by your language or the gamemode you want, also ordering by people playing on it. I don't see the trouble of all this.

Many people play on smaller servers because of either a friendlier community, better relations with admin team, or perhaps just because they're so bad mannered that they're already banned on big servers.

If you discourage joining small servers, no new servers will rise and only the currently big ones will just get bigger. If we want continuous improvement to gameplay, we need those innovators to start their servers fixing what other servers fail to address.

What MTA does well is it creates the opportunity for anyone to host their own server. If you want big servers to get even bigger, how about you tell 'em to fill the gaps others found and used as a base for a new server.

• Like 2

A fair server rating system accessible to anyone wouldn't hurt, though. Just filtering by name, gamemode or language won't tell you much, not even players online number. When you open the server browser for the first time you are overwhelmed by thousands of servers, all slightly different from each other. How would you choose? Not that diversity is a bad thing, but it's a bit like in a modern hypermarket: there are so many products that you go home frustrated that you might not have chosen the best product for you.

How about an independent team of reviewers, testing servers/gamemodes on an invitation basis (or at random) and writing unbiased reviews about their time on that server? And maintaining an independent quality servers list?

New players can always visit the most populous servers and see for themselves why so many people play there and why not everyone plays there.

If they find that server not for them, there's always server promotions on Servers to play on forum where smart* new comers can read about servers and make their choice to visit and get a taste of each server.

* by smart, I mean those who visit the forum