[REL] Forest generator

Essle

No-no man, it worked perfectly! Obtained 571 objects in a couple of minutes, but had some trouble finding them, had to fire up the editor to see them one by one. I expected much more for some reason :D What's the largest frequency number you tested this with? Care to share some more screens?

And great job!

Edited by Zorgman
15 minutes ago, Zorgman said:

No-no man, it worked perfectly! Obtained 571 objects in a couple of minutes, but had some trouble finding them, had to fire up the editor to see them one by one. I expected much more for some reason :D What's the largest frequency number you tested this with? Care to share some more screens?

And great job!

Here frequency is the distance between trees. That is, the smaller frequency, the more objects.
Default frequency - 40.0,  up to 20.0 it is possible to lower.

Here a video of a lush forest in Flint County, generated with this resource. I used a frequency of 5 and only forest ground materials and obtained +46k objects. Generated and recorded on a beast workstation computer - and still you can see it's laggy when running around. I'll experiment with the LOD distance to stop plants pop out like this, but I don't think the end result will be very playable on a med-spec computer. This makes me sad, would love to play in forests like this. :(

Also, you can see larger area objects such as the grass patches going outside the edge of cliffs (easy to see at the end of the video). Would there be a solution for this? Taking sample points close to each other and comparing the z value to determine if it's a slope, maybe?

I'm already running a heavy map, over 12 mb. This forest would add another ~10 mb. It would definitely be a worthy download for the server players, but would such huge maps work well?

Edited by Zorgman