[Action-RPG Zombie Sandbox] Dystopia: The Incident [EN]

Thanks Rudransh, I'm glad you finally managed to join and especially that you enjoy it :)

From the start the aim was to make Dystopia viable as a single-player experience as much as possible - enjoying it with your friends is the great added benefit but I had no illusions about the number of players I'll get.

The host I got is crap and the script is kinda' heavy, so the server keeps choking. This is felt more with more players on, but I had crashes with only one player as well :) I'm checking it every hour or so and restart if needed, but crashes will still happen until I upgrade the host and optimize the script.

About the download, well the map itself is almost 20mb but I'm actively looking to reduce the size of the other assets. My target would be ~30mb however I'm not sure it will be attainable, especially with new custom terrain planned.

Stay tuned, people! Updates are on their way, I'll post here the details soon.

Edited by Zorgman
  • Like 1

Your server looks pretty good, at least visually. There are missing translations that I can't understand, obviously.

There's something -extremely- annoying: the Q key. I'm using an AZERTY keyboard, and unfortunately, i'm using the key Q to move to the left. Please make it changeable ASAP, as I'd like to enjoy it.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, aCr said:

Your server looks pretty good, at least visually. There are missing translations that I can't understand, obviously.

There's something -extremely- annoying: the Q key. I'm using an AZERTY keyboard, and unfortunately, i'm using the key Q to move to the left. Please make it changeable ASAP, as I'd like to enjoy it.

Woopsie, wrong thread.

I did try out Dystopia's server though, but it's hard to enjoy it alone, even though it actually is possible.  Good potential.

Hi guys!

I changed host for the server last week and this resulted in an unfortunate and prolonged downtime.

Right now the server shows as pending and I have yet to receive an answer from the Vortex Servers guys for the ticket I raised last week... For the few Dystopia regulars - please bare with me; for all others - hopefully the alpha public server will be back soon and you'll get to test it.

I'll announce here when situation will change.

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...
RG3hNbI.png

Hello community! 
Update 0.7 is live on the server right now.
Lots of things were added, some were changed and I'll list the most important below. 

But first, I want to detail something that turned out to be less intuitive than I hoped: in order to find loot you need to break the destructible boxes scattered on the map. You will find these boxes in all places where loot would be in other survival gamemodes. Just look around you when you spawn. Breaking other types of destructible objects may yeld metal, wire or wood depending on the object type. Use the RMB + F combo to break any loot box in one hit. Hold F1 in game for a reminder of this and to see all other default keys.

oKMSnXa.png     gdHIlR2.png

Another common issue: the map is very dense (60k objects) and unless you have a good spec computer I highly suggest to lower your video settings, otherwise you'll get FPS drops and stuttering in heavily mapped areas. 

Your character has three lives. Each time you're wasted you lose one life and your inventory and current xp reset, but you get to keep the level you achieved. When you are wasted and have no more lives left you are dead for good: your "alive time" counter and character progress reset and you are presented again with the class selection screen.  It's game over, man! :) 
However, you can avoid the "character death" by sleeping in safe camp beds for 2 minutes to regain one life, with a 10 minutes cooldown between sleep cycles. So, while you can lose your character, this should only happen if you are reckless - or misfortunate. 

aV1XB9E.png     gr5oDo2.png

To get to the big news: there is a persistent storage system in place, finally! Containers are split into three types: strongbox, stockpiles and vehicles. The strongbox is your personal 100 slots container, accessible only to you from multiple safe camps in the game world, just like a bank account. Stockpiles are 10 slots containers that you can craft and place anywhere in the game world; they can be picked up and carried around, loaded in pickup trucks and moved to a different location etc. Stockpiles can be used (and stolen) by anybody that can find them. And last, all vehicles now have a variable amount of item slots available (2 to 30, depending on their model). 

wZXnsNJ.png     ZjUrnMY.png

j7Wg589.png     cXQFihE.png

Zombie infection now works in two phases: a 'silent' first stage with no symptoms and a second one that deals hp damage every couple of seconds until you are dead. There's an experimental cure for it, a drug named ZomboKleen. It may give unexpected side-effects or even not work at all - this is not a bug, it's intended. Loot and dose it freely, no prescription required :)

User interaction improved: most of the interface converted to DX, a new Survivor Map with useful survival information, a progress bar for all time-consuming actions, various interaction sounds. Improved compatibility with lower resolutions; the lowest supported screen resolution is 800X600. Most of Dystopia's keys are now bindable through the MTA settings menu. You can also use Ctrl + LMB as an alternative for MMB.

'Play as guest' option discontinued; you'll need to make an account to play, but it's a one-time process that takes less than 10 seconds.

Four of the five factions are joinable by various means. You can jump from Scavs to Bandits and back by killing your own faction members, become a Raider by eating your fellow men or voluntarily join the Establishment by taking the medical exam at the military base South Gate. CDF will become joinable later, with a further update. These arrangements are temporary, until I deploy the karma-based faction join system. 
nQI53P8.png
(planned)

The map is almost completed. Some important missing parts were added: South Las Venturas is a proper wasteland now, with a huge nuke crater, collapsed buildings, mounts of ash and sand dunes. The Bayview Enclave is the new home of the rich elite, trying to maintain their high life standards under military protection. Area 69 is an impenetrable fortress with heavy NPC defences and the lively  Refugee Camp near it is patrolled by nightstick wielding Peacekeepers.

s7AqWgF.png     jlwZfOB.png 

Fvze3ZF.png      lqXVD32.png

There are literally hundreds of detailed roleplay friendly locations on the map. Every place in the world was changed by and for the apocalypse. From overgrown corners of nature to the urban jungle of Los Santos, you have the whole San Andreas to explore. Be ready to put up a fight, there are over 2000 NPCs waiting to kill you, not counting zombies, bears and traps. You can roam the map, explore, survive, loot and fight your way through just like you would in a single player game, only that with MTA is better since you can... umm... stop playing with yourself :D 

VgBN2be.png     F349t2f.png

QCdRoTu.png     uSOyw8g.png

I want to give props to @Karim02 (who contributed to Dystopia since I made the project public and also moderates the alpha server) and @Noah_Antilles (who built awesome custom models and provided ideas for the project) and also all other people that gave feedback, suggestions or just played the gamemode.

Thanks for reading and see ya all out there!

Join our Discord channel (https://discord.gg/p58wRy8)
to keep updated with news, plans & media
and to share feedback and ideas.

Edited by Zorgman
  • Like 2

Hello guys!

Some more updates today:

• some scoreboard changes - added a 'kills' tab and icons instead of text for faction display

EQc73qn.png     QFSj0L2.png

• tweaked the Establishment joining sequence (go to the military base south entrance and enter the ambulance there to subject yourself to the medical exam in order to join)

CQxdARf.png     1mgQHd3.png

• tweaked the hunger and thirst depletion values (they were a bit too punishing)
  • added Body Armor on more loot spawn lists
  • added the Sparrow to the storage lists, I somehow missed it until now; please report any vehicles that seem to not have functioning storage, same for vehicles that don't output a name when you get close (they just say 'Vehicle' instead of the actual name)

• tweaked item pickup: item col is smaller with 30%, so clusters of items are easier to work with; tooltip now displays for as long as you are inside the item colshape; 'Inventory full' warning moved in the status messages area, to the right of the character

• 'Press M3 to fire Stomper' message spam fixed. Now it will only appear when you switch to the assault rifle IF you have the stomper equipped and ammo for it

• zombies fixed and tweaked: now they properly drop loot on death (30% chance);  Runners have 60% chance to infect you when they hit, all other zombies 20% chance; all types of zombies will grab and infect you if allowed to get behind you - so careful when you're surrounded

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

WS0zVV5.png

Hello community!

Update 0.72 landed on the live server: an NPC overhaul that I had in the works for quite a while.

Below I'll highlight some of the features that you can expect to find:

Bots will react to what happens around them: gunshots will aggro armed bots and make them go search for you. Civilians will panic if other peds are hurt around them or if shots are fired.

All NPCs have dialogue lines, according to their faction and role. Press [1] when you are near a ped to trigger dialogue. With quest NPCs you can reply to what they say using a simple yes/no system (keys [2] and [3]). Quests are not yet implemented, but you can get a taste of what it will be like to pick up missions.

Sneaking became a viable option. FOV (field of view) was implemented for the NPCs, so stay behind them to go unnoticed. Crouch to keep a low noise profile, and also take weather into account - during a sand or thunderstorm you will be able to get fairly close to your targets even from the front side. Night will also be factored in in the near future.

Bots will realistically react to being hit: they will fall down, roll to evade your shots, cringe in pain etc. This makes fights with NPCs much more interesting and varied; you can time your shots, switch targets and generally have a fighting chance. No more bots with inhuman reflexes that shoot you in a split second - now they will taunt and call to their allies when they aquire a target,  giving you a small interval of time to decide if you fight or flee.

A damage indicator was added, showing the damage values above the head of peds and players you hit. Damage values are different, according to the body area you hit. Vehicles will also display hp lost above them.

...and some more changes that don't fall into the NPC category:

- radiation added around the LV nuke crater

- LODs fixed for the most part

- many bugs fixed, many things tweaked

- new graphics for the survivor and military maps etc.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Bewdck9.png

Update 0.73 live on the alpha server

What's new:

• bots recruiting mechanic added: target the bot (with RMB, and if you are unarmed/melee make sure that you are standing very close and facing the bot) and press [8] to make it follow you. Use [9] on a bot that is following you to make it wait in place, afterwards use [8] to have him follow you again. You will spend 50 REP to recruit a bot. Cannot recruit more than one bot at a time. Works only on bots with generic names (i.e. Guard, Scavenger, Bandit, Raider, Wastelander, Militia) and only if you are in the same faction; does not work on civilians
  • new 'stomp' attack for zombie Brutes, that will incapacitate players and peds for 5 seconds
  • pick up various objects (fuel barrels, loot boxes) and carry them around; load them in pickup trucks for long distance hauling; throw them at your enemies with LMB
  • install Miniguns on pickup trucks (still WIP, they won't save and don't consume any ammo for now)
  • buildable structures and objects added to the crafting menu: you can add barbed wire fences, wooden barricades, shelters and beds to the map. Go and build yourself a nice safe camp in the woods! (still WIP, objects you build don't persist between server restarts yet)
  • park vehicles in safe zones to prevent them from respawning; create custom safe zones by building a wooden shelter
  • new stomping & strangle ability for the players: press [F] while aiming a gun and you will kick any NPC in front of you and send them to the ground; do the same while sneaking and you will render them unconscious for a short time
  • some side activities added: fight to earn REP in the Raider Fighting Cage from the bottom of Hunter's Quarry and in the Las Venturas gym or just bet on the fights; play poker with your homies in one of the five locations available
  • most (if not all) interiors are mapped: expect to find loot and NPCs in all Ammunation, pizza and burger shops around the map
  • reduced the density of wrecked cars and overgrown vegetation layers to allow people with potato PCs enjoy the game
  • some more additions to the map
  • missions framework is almost done, I'll start pouring in missions next; suggestions are welcome!

Edited by Zorgman
  • Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Just imagine playing with a friend, killing raiders and bandits, looting, leveling up, helping each other out, just like a real on-line RPG. If the bots and the pickup system were enhanced and there was bigger playerbase overall, this would be my go-to server.

For the rest, it is a living, breathing world to explore, and damn, it does really look like a mod straight out of those CLEO conversions.

Good job, very good job.

Edited by MadnessReloaded
  • Thanks 1
  • 5 weeks later...

One of the best servers I've played on, even when there's no players there's always something to do!  Love how factions/bots fight you and zombies chase you down, also love how realistic loot is dropped by zombies/bandits/Raiders.....  Well there's lots of bots! 

Great work, you are a really talented scripter/mapper and I am amazed you can do so much, it's just a shame so few players are seeing this server...  Is more enjoyable when you have a human to talk to, guards just say the same thing over and over again. :P

The one thing I noticed, is my FPS changes daily, so you must be working hard to help us potatoians! xD One of my biggest likes about this server is that it's so realistic compared to other zombie servers, which give you the ability to warp a car magically to you.  I love the support on discord, always helpful and always replies quick. Only downside in my opinion is that a lot of stuff is still in testing phase, so a few bugs here and there, but nothing major.

If you haven't played this server yet then try it, you don't know what you're missing! :D

Edited by kieran
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

8ZYqrb7.png

Hello again! 
Time for a new update:
Version 0.74 is live on the server right now!
What's new in Dystopia?
  • Fifth faction (CDF) is now joinable, look for their recruitor NPC in the streets around the leaning skyscraper, near their main camp in Los Santos. Join the Free Folk Militia and shove it to the Establishment oppressors!
  • New areas opened up for exploration; I want to mention here Myrfin from our community who contributed quality content, and also @RinkeDiaz from these forums, who kindly allowed us to use some of his work; thanks again guys!
  • 7 new missions added; fight zombies, raiders, discover survivor camps, fetch items; I don't want to make a fuss around them just yet, since their number and scope is still limited, but go to the sewer exit on the beach near Grove Street and you can already start the 'main quest'.
  • Camp building done and is fully playable; objects you build are permanent now, unless you choose to dismantle them.
  • New fuel source points mapped; did it feel silly to refuel your car at the pump in an apocalypse? Well, not anymore, now you will find it in more immersive locations (not counting the movable fuel barrels that you can just transport to your camp for later use).
  • Many other small tweaks, fixes and additions that didn't made it to this list.

Join our Discord @ https://discord.gg/Zs5bWSX
to stay up to date with news, plans & media.
Come share your feedback and ideas!

• Like 2
  • 5 weeks later...

3osFwjl.png

We still call it 0.74, but many new things were added!
What's new:

• Another large batch of new map content: San Fierro is a proper war zone, disputed between the Establishment and the Bandits. You will stumble upon raging street firefights, convoy ambushes, a new naval base, overrun checkpoints from the days of the crisis and more; Los Santos hill area is now the southern front line in the conflict between the Bandits and the Civilian Defence Force - watch out for the roof snipers; 30+ aircrashes, scattered around the whole of San Andreas, and a large bonus train wreck in Whetstone; the San Fierro crack factory is back in business, operated by Raiders; a large fenced community can be found in northern Las Venturas, taken over by looters; and more that's for you to discover.
  • Raider slaves and meat NPCs can now be rescued: engage them through dialogue for an option to release them and score some karma points!
  • Earthquakes: Remember how a catastrophic earthquake started it all? Years after the Incident, the San Andreas Fault is still not completely stable and strong earthquakes hit the land when you least expect them; stay crouched when the earthquake reaches it's peak, otherwise you will fall to the ground on random, taking damage and risking fractures; this also affects NPCs, they will run around in panic and fall to the ground just like the players.
  • New mission for the CDF: an NPC found at Fern Ridge will send you in a dangerous mission to kill a Bandit gang leader in Montgomery.
  • A simple group system added, press F4 to open the panel; group members will show on map as light blue blips.
  • Cargo elevator added to CDF's Los Santos roof camp: use the key panels on the wall to control the elevator.
  • You can now hold NPCs at gunpoint and rob them blind; it works even without ammo; depending on the NPC type, it will result in different behaviour; you can also intimidate melee enemies with your gun, buying a precious moment in a dodgy situation.
  • Added working SAM sites to all relevant Establishment locations; Establishment pilots are of course allowed passage; SAM launchers can be destroyed with explosives, opening up the airspace until they respawn; use explosives for this.
  • A whole set of 11 new missions added. Live the life of a bounty hunter! Missions are accessible from two locations (Ghost Town and Blueberry convenience store). Speak with the Bounty Hunter NPCs found there and they will send you to kill one of the many Raider warchiefs. Targets are randomly selected and missions difficulty varies from medium to very hard.

Below is a map with all faction camps as per February 2018 (slightly behind the current version). Click it to see the large version.
Note that there are much more neutral locations and encounter zones in the game, this map shows only the player faction spawn points.

TI1UqG7.png

And finally, some screens with the new content:

BOlItOl.png  0atztFi.png

6ptw7EI.png  cILV4lK.png

BLmZur2.png  x258BXr.png

• Like 3
  • 5 months later...

HD70Or9.png

Dystopia 0.75 is here!
New server IP:
mtasa://37.187.171.204:22008

What's good this time?

UI & UX improvements:

• remastered inventory: new item pickup mechanic, ammo section, storage window etc.
  • added new overhead labels for most interactive objects like loot nodes, barrels, vehicles etc.
  • added 'Abandon mission' button in the character panel (O).
  • added context help messages.
  • added new 'status display' for npcs, showing when they are hit, killed, alerted, panicked etc.

New features:

• added a 'gadget' system, allowing you to equip projectiles, traps and other items and use them on the fly by pressing [X].
  • added NPC traders; you can buy and sell items; items sold by the trader are tied to your level.
  • added mechanic shops offering repairs and functional upgrading: offroad wheels, hydraulics, body reinforcement, nitro and machine guns. Vehicle combat is a thing now!
  • being wasted by Establishment bots with nightsticks means you are 'apprehended' and you will spawn in the Refugee Camp as a refugee (faction switch).
  • (some) NPCs use laser pointer aiming.

New content:

• new starting location missions for the Scavs in LS: "Make your way to the Refugee Camp and join the Establishment". Available from three different locations
  • new mission in the Refugee Camp: "Bring fuel canisters to Sgt. Crisp to help burn the bodies".
  • another 10+ new missions for Scavengers and CDF factions, all over Los Santos: deliveries, base raiding, item fetching, tow missions etc.
  • added a new zombie type: the Rammer; when pinned down by a Rammer, escape by mashing space key.
  • added new NPC types to raiders, bandits and CDF.
  • added random ped accessories to some NPC types (vests, masks etc); toggle this feature off with /pedprops if it causes fps drops on your computer.
  • NPC traffic, with a dystopian flavor! Watch out, because the roads just got more dangerous. Bandit pickup trucks, raider siege vehicles, army trucks and more will roam the world and rain fire upon their enemies.

Tweaks and fixes:

• increased stamina pool.
  • reduced sleep time necessary to gain a life.
  • money saves.
  • fixed a couple of long lasting bugs (utility panel ammo bug included).
  • reduced download size with ~30 mb by zipping some resources (notably, the map went down from 11 mb to <1 mb).
  • updated manual, help and title screens; removed one title screen to further reduce download size (1 mb).

mta-screen_2018-09-14_21-49-48.png  mta-screen_2018-08-22_22-41-26.png

mta-screen_2018-08-17_22-26-23.png  mta-screen_2018-08-17_14-56-35.png

mta-screen_2018-08-17_22-55-46.png  mta-screen_2018-08-17_21-09-27.png

Edited by Zorgman
  • Like 2