RPG-Gamemode

Being an old school Roleplayer, I figured I'd pop a few words in here.

While SA does have some RPG elements (Weapon Skills, Functional Skills, Stats and Missions), it's basically a huge shooting gallery, which tends to break any Roleplaying one can attempt to do into two routes, kill or get killed. Hack and Slash is NOT Roleplaying, and from what I've seen of the MTA community, it's not roleplaying-focused. It's all about the kills, who you kill, how often you kill and what you kill them with.

To impliment a fully functional MMO style game (Which is what I see your ideas being) would be a huge undertaking and the mass mindset of the MTA community would have to shift. Your suggestions are nice, I can see you put alot of thought into balance and playability, but it all boils down to the same two routes in MTA; Killing or getting Killed. You respawn and go do it again.

I've tried roleplaying on the so-called RPG servers before and I was kicked because I went to assassinate a specific individual who killed me recently. I was firing at only him amongst a crowd of people, being very specific about who I was shooting at and then suddenly "ding! You have been kicked from the server!". Anyone I spoke with from an in-character standpoint ignored me, and on yet another RPG server, I was threatened they would hack my ISP if I didn't stop fighting and instead left them alone to !sell cars and !buydrugs.

MTA is an action based game, with very very minor RPG elements. Now I haven't been up to par on my MTA:SA research, but I don't think they'll be setting things up to where your character stats and outfits are saved on the server (Thus creating a continuous flow of improvement over time). I think it's more likely they'll just max out the skills and give people classes with weapons and a spawnpoint or spread pickups around the map.

An MMORPG of Grand Theft Auto has been as much a dream of the gamers out there as a Multi-player version of Grand Theft Auto was, especially after they started finding leftover code for Multiplayer in GTA III. If there's going to be a massive server based MMO game, it's going to have to come from Rockstar themselves. Hosting a 12 man server on your machine at home doesn't compare to the hardware power you need to run a full fledged MMO.

As a small gamemode, I can see your ideas working, but you need (from what I'm reading, and I could be misunderstanding some of the thoughts) lots of people in the server at the same time to actually put them to use. You need a driver to spawn a vehicle for you, you need a gunner to bring in the heavy weapons, you need another gang around to fight against or you need an admin to be there to start up some kind of antagonist against you. Otherwise you're left with the standard "Look, something moving over there, let's go kill it". Let's not forget, there won't be Peds and other NPC's in MTA; Blue or not.

I like your ideas, it seems well balanced, I just don't see the MTA community being able to digest it. And any true Roleplayers that are on these forums already know what happens when D00ds and Roleplayers are in the same vicinity... It's not pretty. (Guenivere DAOC RP server, anyone?)

You bring up some great points in that post. Hopefully, time will tell, a mod can be made to stop things from happening that shouldn't in that specific RP game. Rules will need to be clearly defined as to who can be killed and what can be done. Also, it would need a community of willing people to play it. If there are too few people who are actually trying to RP, then it will make it a lot more difficult.

For the stat saving problem... If it's possible to have registered nicknames.. Perhaps there can be a mod that allows you to register with the server. You can 'login' before you enter the game and it will load your stats/savings from a database... If that's possible...

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, but there are only a few C++ coders around here :roll:

agreed, however alot of people who know mirc scripting also know c++.

Two things may happen though:

1. People may decide to learn C++

2. Blue may attract more C++ coders to the forum

Youre post points out such things, but balace comes with testing. Do you happen to know the Jedi Knight community, a FPS with Lightsabers, quite RPG styled i might add now.

About Might learn C++

If i got the time i might try and see how this one works, it seems im learning my way trough c++ by coding for jk2 .. great. Well, when its out ill take a look (cud u point out what type of functions are where ;) ty)

Two things may happen though:

1. People may decide to learn C++

2. Blue may attract more C++ coders to the forum

yeah, probably more C++ will join the forum, or will try blue, and develop add-ons :)

developing an RPG add-on would certainly be worth it in my opinion; San Andreas has a lot of RPG elements that can be used for multiplayer :wink:

don't know if C++ is easy to learn for beginners though :wink: same thing for the add-on, but we'll see :P

don't know if C++ is easy to learn for beginners though :wink: same thing for the add-on, but we'll see :P

It all depends on the tutorial your getting it from. I recommend that you buy books woth CDs since they cover everything. I only know a little bit and at the starting it was easy. There should also be a C++ forum open here so that the C++ vets can explain what they know.

C++ aint all that hard.. it just takes time and dedication to learn what ur dealing with. Not be to be 'show around' but my jk2 mod dedicated to prevent crashing actually did stop all crashing, while all others currently downloadable did not. ( i owe a mate for some things though:P)

When I was learning programming, I would break down each task into steps, for example:

To load settings from a file:

1. Check whether file exists

2. Load file

3. Obtain data from file

4. Process data

5. Close file

I would then do some research on how to complete each specific step rather than doing a tutorial right from the beginning. Tutorials are generally designed to teach you syntax and common functions anyway, so they may not necessarily be relevant to what you want to specifically achieve. Don't think that you can make a relatively complex program from a language tutorial alone. I found this method useful because it meant that I knew what I was looking for.

I like this idea, but think it is to passive for PvP combat. Now see, if you had it where the main over all "objective" is world... er map domination I think this mod would have a chance of being big. Hear me out:

The three gangs are in each city like you said. (Great idea btw) Somewhere in each city is the main home base for each gang. Those little side quest you were talking about, like robbing banks and stuff would be done to improve your gang. Like robbing the bank would increase the cash spawn that your gang leader (picked at start of game) can spend to upgrade the home base defenses and buy weapons/cars that the gang can use for more missions and to further themself in the over all goal of assulting the other gangs base and taking their city. Other side missions you and your gang members complete like raiding a weapons storage could spawn a certain weapon at your base...etc. So its almost like a FP RTS RPG ghetto game of risk. So the team that is better organized and works together better has a greater shot at wining the whole game.

This way its not as mindless as the comon DM games that just sticks two teams together that kill each other. But its not as stand offish as playing poker (no offense) but a great idea man none the less.

I agree w/ Selzi, im a big WoW player and there is really no way you can make this game full out RPG. But I offer this idea as a medium so you player have something more than just mindless killing or just the same old DM type game.

EDIT: I think this can only be done w/ NPCs. No NPC's, no dice.

As ChrML said to me about NPCs...

Sounds cool, but unless we make the server need GTA files, we can't, due to the game being client-side add bots for the moment because the server doesn't know the map, unless the mod does the Jedi Knight approach where each player can add a finite number of bots to the server which the client game controls.

Could be possible I guess but I wouldn't expect it to happen anytime soon...

What we'd need is a ton of people who want to do this and strive to make it happen. You don't want some guy going 110 in a sports car running up to your base and just shooting you. In the real world people don't do that... They plan out things, think ahead, spend days doing it, work out 'hits' on people and whack 'em. But without tons and tons of people where there would always be a balance (like if you have robbers then you need cops) it probably wouldn't work out.

I like your idea, Solid, but it just seems to go by too fast. I'd rather have things go at a slow pace, and not have to start a new game every hour.

but it just seems to go by too fast. I'd rather have things go at a slow pace, and not have to start a new game every hour.

So what you are talking about is, not a game w/ rounds and matches but an on going world. Anyhow, I can see it happening if there was only like 1 or 2 servers so the amount of people at any given moment would be larg, but your right about us needing alot of people wanting this to happen.

But the truth is, alot of people do want this to happen.

All this talk about an RPG mod from alot of players. When blue is released, every player/ modder that wants this to happen need to put heads together. Im no modder, so what Im saying is, someone needs to step forward and start a grp devoted to an RPG mod being released using the blue core. I really would like to see this happen myself.

Edit: what if like planetshift (or what ever that game was called) you had to earn licenses to drive/fly different vehicles :P would be neat. Anyway..

I do a bit of mapping/scripting myself, and know a few languages. Not too much of visual c/c# and all but I could always try... And if I'm no use I could test/give advice. But, yea, the people who once populated this thread with ideas seem a little silent... First comes brainstorming ideas... Althought I don't think you should have to earn licenses. Just have limited supplies... Also if there are enough people, there should be multiple gangs in the three main cities.

First comes first, before ideas can be tossed around, a grp of people need to be together willing to make it. So organize a grp of modders that are willing to spend their time to produce a mod using blue. Then think about how it will be done. But one thing is for sure. There are plenty of people wanting an RPG mod. So its up to someone to give it to em. I can offer my services some how... but yeah.

Well, there could very well already be a team for all we know and they're just being secretive. I would think the first thing to do is to brainstorm. Since this is a forum... I'm working on a few projects right now and I work with like one or two other people, first we brainstorm what we need, then we learn/find people who know what we need. So if we can brainstorm here what should be able to be done, maybe just as basics, then we can find people who can get it done. ^_^

• 3 weeks later...

well i would love to help out i can host teh project (make a site and have a domain and all that) but im not so good at coding im learinign c++ but maybe if i can get in onto it i can catch up to the coders somehow the hardest part i think it would be the xp im guesing if we could only put another bar with the other ones (stats) we could code and make the bar increase when u kill or steal cars do stuff like that

i was thinking is it possible to put mobs of ppl so it would be something to kill so u can lvl up?? like i remmember there was some cheat to make the ppl have weapons and shoot everyone.. or was it when u shot them they would shoot back? anyway that would be fun to have a na experience bar with things to kill. Maybe like a aggresive gangs (npc) which would shoot the other gangs (real players)

i got a question here for coders in blue or san andreas is it possible to make more lives? and maybe on the life bar to show the number of health u have in numbers?

here is a good thing when u start in thsi game u would have just a knife so there would be less noobs rampaging and killing everyone

• 5 weeks later...
This is a very large 'design' for a good RPG styled gamemode, and actually, any mode i guess since they are all build in. I have absolutely no idea if its possible or not, but i am confident this team is able to create the best GTA experience ever (perhaps without even looking at my idea's), but i had time so here is my perfect view of a RPG-GTA-World..

Team's

Red -- Some Fancy Gangname - - HomeBase LS

Blue -- Some Fancy Gangname -- HomeBase SF

Green --Some Fancy Gangname -- HomeBase LV

Solo -- No 'Gangname' -- No Homebase, Spawnpoint all small villages too choose from

Police -- For some reason this is not a logical choice, it should be NPC's IF there can be police, it would be alot of fun to pop some cops with your mates. Playng as a cop gives you huge advantages (heavy vehicles, npc allies(?), and just, ur the law, i doubt anyone would obey it tho) So, Human Police is fun, but only joinable as police Admin.

Each 'Team' can spawn on their own Island at their own homebase. At the homebase special ability's like the CarSpawning system can be done. You can join a team by being accepted by the teamleader. If you aint being accepted you can get in by more then 50% of YES votes from that gang. You can also go solo, but you cannot take a class, only the 'All-Round' class and will spawn in one of the little villages. You'll will BE see-able on the map, so you make good target practice for the team's.. watch out.

Each gangbase CAN be attacked by another Gang, only each gangbase has stational miniguns (Like zero's RC Shooting Mission) to rifle down any attacker. When another gang takes the homebase (Get to the spawnpoint in the gangbase and keep it for 3 minutes) the gangbase shall be taken and the takens gang can spawn somewhere else in their own city to try and take back their Base. The takentimer is on 15 minutes, if a gang is without base for 15 minutes the atacking gangattackers in their base will be teleported to their own homebase and the own gang can spawn again there, having back their base.

Player Type (With Unique Names In Each Team, Same Abilities and Weapons)

Gunman -- Uzi, Mp5, Ak-47 a/o Fancy MachineGunz -- 'Hitman'-Skilled, Ability to Shoot out Of Windows as Driver

Assasin -- Silenced Gun, Sniper, Knife -- Hidden off The Map, Cloacking Ability when not shooting (30 seconds cloacking, 2 minutes and 30 seconds recharging)

Rocketeer -- Pistol, Grenades, Rocketlauncher -- Only type that can wield a Rocketlauncher, can bring down tanks and aeroplanes in a couple of blasts (homing missles possible)

Driver -- Pistol, Uzi -- Ability to Vehicle Spawning at HomeBase (Limit on each Type of Cars out there, f.e. 2 Tanks MAX)

Medic -- Pistol, Uzi -- Ability to spawn an medpack and armor every minute.

Supplier -- Pistol, Uzi -- Ability to spawn a bulletcrate every minute.

All-Round -- Custom Weaponchoice (No Rocketlauncher) -- No Special's, Only Custom Weaponchoice.

No-Violence Games

Skydiving - You will need a driver to spawn parachutes (if you plan to use them) and fly the plane. The Driver can jump too (plane will crash)

Biljart (Pool) - Erm .. read it somewhere? Not really needed, but small games like this are fun

Poker - Erm .. read it somewhere? Not really needed, but small games like this are fun

Basketball - Score Points and Win :P

Any type of mini-games are usually fun, which can be found in SA. If all of them could be implanted, that would be alot of fun!

Earning Money

BankRobber - Take out the guards, and rob the bank w/ your teammates. Each gets an equal cut of the profit!

Streetracing - The Admin could turn a streetrace on, you can participate in it and try to win the price money

Area 61 - Break into Area 61 and steal that jetpack! Then get back to your homebase and collect the money and devide it under your gang participants.

More to make up ..

You can buy weapons (if avaidible for your class) and play gamble games etc with it.

Admins - 3 Different levels of Admin should be access-able

Level 1 - Administrator

Activate Moneygames (BankRobbing etc..)

Activate Racing (Streetrace, Countryracer etc..)

Activate Gametypes (Read Build-In-GameTypes)

Hide a moneystash (CashBonus for lucky finder, admins cannot take it themselfs, its lame to tell your friends where it is after placing it btw)

Kick Player

Ban Player

Join PoliceForce

Punish Player (Force him into Spectate to 'think' about his actions :P)

Level 2 - Moderator

Activate Racing (Streetrace, Countryracer etc..)

Activate Gametypes (Read Build-In-GameTypes)

Kick Player

Ban Player

Join PoliceForce

Level 3 - Overseer

Kick Player

Join PoliceForce

Read Build-In-GameTypes (A player CAN join but does NOT have too)

Deathmatch (Select an Area f.e. LS)

StuntMode (Spawning the planes/vehicles and do the 'ordinary' stunt thingy

Survival (Select a player to be hunted (Teleported to Desert, and all the other players will hunt on this person, only players that accepted the challenge can hurt the 'Runner'. All participants will be teleported to their hometowns.)

Capture the Flag (Duuhhh, 2 'new' teams with each its own flag to defend and obtain)

JailBreak (Please Read http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=193356&st=4 'first' post)

SkyDive Challenge (Get Airborne and get dropped (Computer Control for good drop positions) and try to land as close to the marker as possible)

Assasin Mode - All gangs get the same opportunity by an Unkown ordergiver, to assasinate an NPC target. Whoever gets the killing shot in must return to their gangbase and collect the money of the assasination. Assasins can attack assasins, if an assasin dies he is out of this Assasin Match. Assasins can only do the actually NPC Killing, so help of others is very handy (Gunman to rifle down other assasins f.e. and medic to heal that assasin). Everyone can play as an Assasin, their is no gang Assasin limit. ( Based upon suggestion )

Feel Free to improve anything on my 'design', i hope the team and the visitors like the idea and perhaps even use it oO, we'll see.

(btw i do not expect something as huge as this on a initial release, but it would be great to have this as a final product)

Edit - Updated 25/6 2005

- Deathspike

D00d, i love ur ideas man. alot of them would go well with mine

http://forum.mtavc.com/viewtopic.php?p= ... 6f2#198901

I would defenitly be an asassin. one thing tho, you should make the cloak work nomatter what, even if you are shooting. The only time it wouldnt work is in the rain. Imagine standing there talking to someone, then all of the suddeon your throat is slit, but you cant see who the hell did it. I would love that. Also you should add a team hitman. each team would get like 5 hitmen. that would rock! like 5 guys asassinating someone at the same time. hehehe... the 1st one who gets the kill gets the money. Then the person would get killed faster, and with more lethality then b4!

• 3 weeks later...