Hosting question

DarkChemical

Question

2 answers to this question

This question heavily depends on your ISP and cannot be answered in general.

If you're talking about mobile data in terms of smartphone plans, the answer is most likely 'no' since mobile IPs are shared in most cases and you can't do port forwarding.

However, some ISPs offer pure data plans via LTE/4G for regions with poor availability of wired connections that have a true non-shared IP. It's still a dynamic IP though, so it changes at least once a day and therefore is not really suitable for hosting (also high latency is a problem).

Instead, I'd suggest you take a look at our hosters section: https://www.multitheftauto.com/hosters

• Like 1
  • MTA Anti-Cheat Team

Jusonex nailed it, and also even if your mobile data IP is static, I'm yet to see a mobile data provider offer customers a way to port forward.

However, some mobile connections I've seen/used are totally unrestricted (don't ask me why some providers turn mobile connections into a DMZ) which means all ports are opened by default. This must be a design choice by providers, if you coincidentally have such a provider and your IP is also static enough (also a rarity with mobile data bundles) you might have gotten lucky and be able to use it as host. But that doesn't mean it's ideal or even suitable, as mobile data reception can change with the second even if your device angle doesn't change, it can cause connectivity drops and most of all use up expensive bandwith.

I also once had a 4G modem/portable router for a poor reception area (to use on a camping site) and it turned out it was unrestricted (all ports open, not firewalled by provider at all) and also had that with a smartphone data bundle once. I advise you to do some port tests to find out if you also got that lucky with your own provider.

• Like 1