Need help with using mods in MTA

Yelrix

Question

Hello I have been trying to get skins to work in multiplayer for quite some time now. I have followed tutorials but nothing seems to be working. The model is always the same as it was. I am trying to replace a ped. Any help would be appreciated. :) I can upload the file to show you what i did if you need it. Thanks!

5 answers to this question

Is no one really gonna help me? I have followed all the tutorials. I have done exactly has they say and it won't work. If anyone can just give me the basic setup to get skin mods working that that would help a lot. 

This has been discussed before, please try to use search bar next time

So here goes your answer,
No, you cannot use any of your custom models from your gta3.img, you're only allowed to replace the model by using engineLoadDFF / engineLoadTXD functions in LUA.
Why? - Custom skins have been disabled since 1.4.1 version, one of their reasons to block them was because of "small skins" or something like that.

You can still use by functions or allow them by your mtaserver.conf, nearly the end, there's a option with <allow_gta3_mods> (something like) and then you pick "peds" value
Save the changes, restart the server (if running) install a custom skin and you're done

Will they be available in the future? - Nah.

• Like 1
  • MTA Anti-Cheat Team
9 hours ago, Fiction-^ said:

No, you cannot use any of your custom models from your gta3.img, you're only allowed to replace the model by using engineLoadDFF / engineLoadTXD functions in LUA.
Why? - Custom skins have been disabled since 1.4.1 version

That's not completely true, on certain servers that allow using gta3.img skin mods you can still use them. There are quite some servers who did so by editing     <allow_gta3_img_mods> setting in mtaserver.conf to:     <allow_gta3_img_mods>peds</allow_gta3_img_mods> and the reason I'm explaining that here is so you could ask your favourite server's owner to allow it. By default it's disallowed because it's undefined.

Also you're saying you ''cannot use custom models'' which may confuse some people; for clarity, only Skin/ped mods are disabled for use by default unless the server allows. When a server didn't make a conscious decision/took steps to block vehicle or other type of client mods, it will just work. But as I said in the case of skin models the majority of servers are already blocking it because of a default setting.

and @Fiction-^ I cannot avoid to mention you could've been a little less rude/bold in your answer to a new forum user.

16 hours ago, Yelrix said:

Is no one really gonna help me? I have followed all the tutorials. I have done exactly has they say and it won't work. If anyone can just give me the basic setup to get skin mods working that that would help a lot. 

Besides my last answer you're not really clear about that but if you're not neccesarily wondering about client mods (adding the skins to your gta3.img) but for example own or administrate a server, you can use this script example to load server skin mods:

addEventHandler ( "onClientResourceStart", getResourceRootElement ( getThisResource() ),
	function ()
		txd = engineLoadTXD ( "skinmodel.txd" ); -- change 'skinmodel' to your mod's file name
		engineImportTXD ( txd, 190 ); -- change the ID 190 into the GTA skin ID you with to replace with mod
		dff = engineLoadDFF ( "skinmodel.dff", 190 ); -- change 'skinmodel' to your mod's file name
		engineReplaceModel ( dff, 190 ); -- change the ID 190 into the GTA skin ID you with to replace with mod
	end
);

as you say you're really new to it and know nothing, I will also go more in-depth: name the above file ''replace.lua'' and then proceed creating a new .xml file and add in the below code & save as ''meta.xml'':

<meta>
	<info type="misc" name="Load skin mod" author="none" description="Replace skin script" version="1.5" />
	<file src="skinmodel.txd" /> -- rename to your mod filename, likewise and matching in replace.lua
	<file src="skinmodel.dff" /> -- rename to your mod filename, likewise and matching in replace.lua
	<script type="client" src="replace.lua" />
</meta>

Put this replace.lua and meta.xml in a folder and use it as resource within your server (place in MTA San Andreas 1.5 > server > mods > deathmatch > resources, and start it by entering to the server: ''start [resourcename aka how you named the folder]

And ofcourse if you own/administrate a server or a local server is sufficient to do what you need with the mods, you can allow client gta3.img skin/ped mods on the server (using the mtaserver.conf instruction in the beginning of my post) rather than resorting to running serverside mods like the script example.

@Yelrix

Edited by Dutchman101
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, Dutchman101 said:

That's not completely true, on certain servers that allow using gta3.img skin mods you can still use them. There are quite some servers who did so by editing     <allow_gta3_img_mods> setting in mtaserver.conf to:     <allow_gta3_img_mods>peds</allow_gta3_img_mods> and the reason I'm explaining that here is so you could ask your favourite server's owner to allow it. By default it's disallowed because it's undefined.

Also you're saying you ''cannot use custom models'' which may confuse some people; for clarity, only Skin/ped mods are disabled for use by default unless the server allows. When a server didn't make a conscious decision/took steps to block vehicle or other type of client mods, it will just work. But as I said in the case of skin models the majority of servers are already blocking it because of a default setting.

and @Fiction-^ I cannot avoid to mention you could've been a little less rude/bold in your answer to a new forum user.

Besides my last answer you're not really clear about that but if you're not neccesarily wondering about client mods (adding the skins to your gta3.img) but for example own or administrate a server, you can use this script example to load server skin mods:

addEventHandler ( "onClientResourceStart", getResourceRootElement ( getThisResource() ),
	function ()
		txd = engineLoadTXD ( "skinmodel.txd" ); -- change 'skinmodel' to your mod's file name
		engineImportTXD ( txd, 190 ); -- change the ID 190 into the GTA skin ID you with to replace with mod
		dff = engineLoadDFF ( "skinmodel.dff", 190 ); -- change 'skinmodel' to your mod's file name
		engineReplaceModel ( dff, 190 ); -- change the ID 190 into the GTA skin ID you with to replace with mod
	end
);

as you say you're really new to it and know nothing, I will also go more in-depth: name the above file ''replace.lua'' and then proceed creating a new .xml file and add in the below code & save as ''meta.xml'':

<meta>
	<info type="misc" name="Load skin mod" author="none" description="Replace skin script" version="1.5" />
	<file src="skinmodel.txd" /> -- rename to your mod filename, likewise and matching in replace.lua
	<file src="skinmodel.dff" /> -- rename to your mod filename, likewise and matching in replace.lua
	<script type="client" src="replace.lua" />
</meta>

Put this replace.lua and meta.xml in a folder and use it as resource within your server (place in MTA San Andreas 1.5 > server > mods > deathmatch > resources, and start it by entering to the server: ''start [resourcename aka how you named the folder]

And ofcourse if you own/administrate a server or a local server is sufficient to do what you need with the mods, you can allow client gta3.img skin/ped mods on the server (using the mtaserver.conf instruction in the beginning of my post) rather than resorting to running serverside mods like the script example.

@Yelrix

Thank you for all the help! I really appreciate it! Everything is working now :D