Speeding up the FPS

[VCM]Mafia

wud em up :D

I just got SA and I think its an amazing accomplishment, althouh I think it would be a lot funner if the FPS were to speed up a little. I lower'd the Draw Distance, put the frame limiter on, and gave the exe a high leven priority to the CPU. This greatly speeds up the FPS but is there anything more that can be done? Ive got a celeron processor lol that explains half of why is slow :roll:

=SAM= San Andreas Mafia 8)

i don't think the frame limiter would make a difference in this case. he says that his processor isn't so fast. so if he turns off the frame limiter, he might notice higher frame rates(exceeding the limit) in some situations, but frame drops in other situations won't vanish. but hey, experimenting won't do any harm.

Putting the exe on high priority can cause side-effects because it takes processing priority away from some Windows processes. I've tried that before but some games gave me "out of virtual memory" messages because Windows wasn't updating the swap file quickly enough, whilst others had erratic mouse and keyboard behaviour because Windows wasn't processing the messages quickly enough.

Well tbh, maybe High, Very High and Medium look a little prettier, but its the game play that matters. Real-time shadows on cars are nice, but hardly essential :) On the other hand, 32 bit color does make quite a difference sometimes...

This is what you do, go to Control Panel>System>>Advanced>Perfor4mance Settings>Advanced>Change

Set Initial Size to 3000MB

Set Maximum Size to 4000MB

This changes the HD Pagefiling, and iwll take about 4 gb, but my FPS jumped from 10 up to a constant 35. I run on 800X600X16 with Medium Settings, and a couple points of Draw Distance. It runs good, and doesn't look half bad. Here are screenshots with these performance settings.

http://img158.echo.cx/img158/6356/pimpride4pi.jpg

http://img158.echo.cx/img158/8831/pimp20yh.jpg

http://img158.echo.cx/img158/278/trans7xg.jpg

http://img158.echo.cx/img158/2452/pimp6it.jpg

This is what you do, go to Control Panel>System>>Advanced>Perfor4mance Settings>Advanced>Change

Set Initial Size to 3000MB

Set Maximum Size to 4000MB

This changes the HD Pagefiling, and iwll take about 4 gb, but my FPS jumped from 10 up to a constant 35. I run on 800X600X16 with Medium Settings, and a couple points of Draw Distance. It runs good, and doesn't look half bad. Here are screenshots with these performance settings.

Yeah, they said that it requires a lot of RAM so that stands to reason. You might gain extra performance from setting them both to the same value so that Windows doesn't have to waste CPU cycles dynamically allocating space for the swap file. I might try that, but 4 GB does seem a bit excessive though.

Jani also failed to mention he is running his game from a Liquid nitrogen cooled beast with 10 processors and a million gigabytes of ram :lol:

I get a decent frame rate @ 1024x768x32 draw distance on about 5 and low graphics settings.. not as good as VC which can be expected as the models are slightly higher poly and the textures are higher res. and it cn get a lil choppy @ times.. with those settings on my comp it should run perfectly, so the engine could use a little tweaking probs..

I increased my swap file to 2048 MB and managed to get 1024x768x32 (my laptop screen's max resolution apparently) with maximum visual quality. I haven't yet tried AA, but I don't expect it'll be playable with that switched on due to my graphics card.

I am playing it with everything maxed out high quality settings and it runs pretty sweet tho after 30 mins or so playing the game does slow down here and there which can be fixed by a reboot. My system specs aren't super wonderful either.

256 MB DDR SDRAM, ATI Radeon 9800 PRO 128 MB VRAM, Pentium 4

Windows XP Pro and below 300 watt PSU i'm not sure exact wattage but it's in the 200s :lol: Oh yeah, and I have 6x anti-aliasing and 16x anisotropic filtering turned on at my graphic card's control panel and 3x anti-aliasing turned on from the game's options screen. Still runs quick! I read about people having sound issues on their Sound Blaster Live cards etc (fixed by turning hardware acceleration down or off) where not all sounds played during rain etc. I have a generic sound card that came with this HP computer and no sound problems at all.

strange. i just got GTA SA, and even on my own pc( not the one which i used to play mta on) with the lowest settings, it looks beatiful(buying a new pc soon though) :D maybe my current videocard isn't that bad. graphics look much better than vice city pc/gta3 pc.

The only thing that made any dramatic difference in FPS to me was setting the Visual FX Quality to Low. I have 1280x1024x32 resolution, max draw distance, mip mapping on, frame limiter on, 4x anti-aliasing, and 8x anisotropic filtering. I get around 25 FPS.

Before I discovered that having Visual FX Quality on Medium or higher was the problem, I was getting around 10-15 FPS. Real-time shadows and such are nice, but if it's going to lag my game that much, it's just not worth it...

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, they said that it requires a lot of RAM so that stands to reason. You might gain extra performance from setting them both to the same value so that Windows doesn't have to waste CPU cycles dynamically allocating space for the swap file. I might try that, but 4 GB does seem a bit excessive though.

Whats the problem if you can spare the space :P

Whats the problem if you can spare the space :P

It's 4 GB-worth of fragmented data.