GTASA is gonna suck online

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Easy solution for people who make mods...Make a Crosshair mod

I could make the crosshair always visible in about 5 minutes of modding. That doesn't make me able to shoot though, does it?

Its not as simple as you might think. Its not editing a little file or two and boom, you have Vice's whole aiming system back. No, its an arseload of hardcoded data into San Andreas's game engine.

Force the player always into aiming-mode and you walk slow everywhere with a zoomed-in camera. Zoom out the camera and expect accuracy issues with the crosshair. Spend hours fixing the crosshair's position only to find it innacurate with another weapon. Then you have another problem, having to figure out how to get custom crosshair locations for each weapon now that the camera isn't where the game thinks it is. And this is all on top of the fact that the mouse sensivity is vastly decreased, the player is always in an aiming stance, and simply moving the crosshair to someone is categorized as a threat and by that I mean looking at a police officer will get you arrested.

The list goes on forever, guys. There will be no replication of Vice City's aiming system from anyone. Spare your energy and give up hope.

damnit jacob you stole my post and made it better.

if they just made the crosshair always seeable, then you can walk around aiming it, and ONLY if you shoot then it holds down right click and shoots where you aimed, zooming in etc as if you pressed right click. If this was possible it'd be a fine solution

what dya think, for those more experienced modders

Without aiming, i.e. Crosshair with rightclick, there is no vertical aim at all. All shots go at head or shoulder height (depending on the weapon) and in the direction the actor is facing, not the direction the camera is facing.

The aim systems differences arent just skin deep, and would require a total rewrite to change them. Not to mention the ancillery things effected such as the RPG elements: range, aim and movement when aiming and firing.

Nah c,mon bump! what ya on about?? dont forget you owe them everything they wish possible or not......U have to considering they are paying ya for your time!!.....<----yes that was strictly grade A sarcasm at its british best ;)

Plenty of flaming to be had here so why the hell havent i posted here B4 considering ive been signed up for the past year and 4 months :P

JK ;)

Right well looks like the guy who gave me this "Fix" just told me the alternate key for RMB..

I cant believe they have given us such a noob aiming system... not even thought about by the looks of things.

The rockstar devs should at least give us the option of having a crosshair aiming system like VC and GTAIII, sure fine.. leave RMB aiming in so you can do the fancy crap like rolling around corners, but give us the option of aiming without it.

Also i am not feeling the cam angle when driving its so annoying i dont want my mouse to steer, and i dont want it to move the cam angle, whats wrong with making it optional and giving us an auto adjusting cam like VC's?? the driving cam in that was great.

I think if enough people mention this to the devs, they could include it with a future patch.

I am one of these people who are really set in thier ways, i dont like changing how i play FPS style games, or how i drive, im the type of person who has near enough the same keyboard layout in every FPS game, and driving game...

BUT

after a week of playing SA, i have adjusted... instead of using 2 hands for driving ive adjusted to using the mouse for the cam (and i fond it much better now), and im now used to right clicking to aim..

My only Gripe with right clicking and aiming now, is that when i try to move backwards in aiming mode CJ faces the cam instead of walking backwards.. this is annoying and should be fixed as i have to press W again to make him face forawrds.. he should always face in the direction of the crosshair, or at least turn to shoot at the crosshair when i fire instead of firing in the air...

I think now that MTA:SA WILL ROCK ONLINE! (given a few minor tweaks)

CJ faces the cam instead of walking backwards..

Fight in a combat crouch, if you do this he DOES walk backwards. You are harder to hit and accuracy is vastly improved too.

It still doesn't solve the problem of the crappy controls though.

My only Gripe with right clicking and aiming now, is that when i try to move backwards in aiming mode CJ faces the cam instead of walking backwards.. this is annoying and should be fixed as i have to press W again to make him face forawrds.. he should always face in the direction of the crosshair, or at least turn to shoot at the crosshair when i fire instead of firing in the air...

One thing I noticed in GTA3/VC single player was that Claude/Tommy would face the camera when they're coming out of garage. Then, when they're out of the garage, the camera would zoom in to the normal view and if you press forwards again, you'd end up walking into the garage again. That's probably why they changed it in SA.

One thing I noticed in GTA3/VC single player was that Claude/Tommy would face the camera when they're coming out of garage. Then, when they're out of the garage, the camera would zoom in to the normal view and if you press forwards again, you'd end up walking into the garage again. That's probably why they changed it in SA.

lol i dont think thats the reason, its actually quite a challenge for me to exit a garage with the new sa controls, i always keep walking back in as soon as i come out o_O

bonjovi: there are tons of reasons, dont you play fps?

Just seems like it makes more sense the way it is now.

There's already a lot of third-person games that use the same style as GTA:SA uses.

The driving is better for sure, but the new shooting system on the pc is garbage. The shooting missions are a lot more frustrating now because of the ps2 controls on the pc. Yes, there are a lot of 3rd person games that use the same style, but there the games that don't involve a whole lot of shooting unless they are on consoles.

lol i dont think thats the reason, its actually quite a challenge for me to exit a garage with the new sa controls, i always keep walking back in as soon as i come out o_O

Really? Thats odd, in my game CJ just continues running away from it when he exits, with the camera zooming into him. As I am pressing 'S' (back) to get him to run towards me anyway (out). The more I play and the greater my skill ratings get with the weapons the more I love this new system. I guess it's like marmite. Love it or hate it, nothing in-between. (Although I suspect a lot of it is simply 'it's different therefore we hate it' without judging it on its own merits :P )

i think ive thought of an easy modable solution.

Firstly, a crosshair is always displayed on screen.

Now, when ever you press the fire button, instead of shooting, it holds down the aim button then fires, then releases aim, very fast.

yes, i realise this is possible without doing any mods, but i think it'll be a very suitable substitute. ill explain some more since its hard to put into words:

Example 1: Im lookup upwards at a chopper. I want to shoot the pilot off. I use the mod's crosshair thats always on screen to aim at him. as soon as i press fire, then the game switches into aim mode (right click) and fires.

Example 2: I have a pistol. I sidestep because i see someone on the right i want to kill. i use the mod's crosshair to get a rough idea where to shoot. as soon as i press fire, it holds right click and fires.

thus it eliminates the slow ass movements. i hope other people agree, cause i would love to play it with a mod that does this.

This must be easy to do, it could even be done with one of those programs that follow a combination of buttons after you press a button. about jacob mentioning the problem for having a different position for each gun - only a rough crosshair has to be given, lets say:

---------|

--------------

---------|

the position of each crosshair is only slightly different for each weapon, right?

oh, and if you hold down right click, it carries holding down both aim and fire.

edit: some problems ive thought of:

* Each gun takes a different time to prepare after pressing aim

The more I play and the greater my skill ratings get with the weapons the more I love this new system.

Yep.

I think the new system makes it easier to aim and shoot.. I guess they could just put the dyanmic crosshair in the same system that Vice City had, though. :?

Meh, either way, I'm still going to play the game and shoot people.

If ONE person has to use the shitty SA system, than everyone does... So you're all going to suck together. ;)

If ONE person has to use the shitty SA system, than everyone does... So you're all going to suck together. ;)

oh thank god...

does this game have any recoil anyways? i thought it was still instant hit and the dynamic crosshair was just to make an illusion of recoil, no?

I have gotten used to the new system as well. If the system was reverted back to the vice city style, I'd hope that the new driving system remains the same though. I do think that the new shooting sytem is fine for singleplayer, but multiplayer is another story. There aren't too many multiplayer games that follow the gta:SA system.

You can control the camera view with the mouse when walkin/driving/sailing or runing, actually in almost all the cases, but when in a flying vehicle, the mouse acts as the keyboard and moves the vehicle instead of the camera ( i tried to move the camera without using the default views while flying but i did not succeed ).

And by the way, i wonder how you guys managed to move the camera while in that chopper in the movie you released, because you clearly move it freely. Did you implement it or is it me that missed that in the command config ?

I think this is the only "problem", specialy when you are tryin to land one of those vertical landing planes, i can't look down hehe. but beside that, you can move the camera around as much as you want. the rest is just adaptation.

As for the aimin, many new games have that extra button to hold down for special stuff, in the case of gta, it switches to aiming. settin it to RMB is great.

Also, when fighting with bare hands, you have a similar button for alternate attacks (set to ENTER by default) that you have to keep pushed while hiting the attack button to perform those special attacks ( u learn the attack as u enter gym clubs and fight the "bosses" ).

But i didn't see anyone post or complain about that button, looks like its not a prob to hold down a button to do special attacks, but it is to aim ...

And for those saying that you can't walk back, yes you can walk back while facing and shooting, just hold the aimin button down and there you go. but not suggested cuz you can t see behind you.

Now, for those that suggested a toggle button for aiming, i am pretty sure it will just make the game more difficult, u can get confused as action is fast in the game and toggle it when not needed or forget it on, or even try to shoot while not toggled.

Long post, because i hate how people speculates on rumors and almost takes it for granted.

Also no one talked about the cool stuff they added, like usin 2 weapons, or driving a car with 3 homies and shooting people, or the girlfriends with the new smc file, or even fighting for territories.

All this stuff is new and was not in vc, and is completly making this camera "problem" disapear as you play more and more.

And if you still say you hate it, wait for the camera hack :)

You can control the camera view with the mouse when walkin/driving/sailing or runing, actually in almost all the cases, but when in a flying vehicle, the mouse acts as the keyboard and moves the vehicle instead of the camera ( i tried to move the camera without using the default views while flying but i did not succeed ).

And by the way, i wonder how you guys managed to move the camera while in that chopper in the movie you released, because you clearly move it freely. Did you implement it or is it me that missed that in the command config ?

In the control options there is an on/off switch for mouse flying. There is also one for mouse driving.