LAN Game with no net.

Guest Pyros Wildfire

Hey All 8)

Is it possilbe to play MTA VC using just 2 PC connected using a LAN cross over cable? Im not on the internet :cry: but i have played it online :D:D:D

Ive tried seting up a server on one PC to the best of my knowledge, but i must admit i ant really got a clue what im doing and the instruction manual isnt very friendly.

Any ideas :?:

Do you have internet access on your LAN? If not, there's a bug in the client that causes it to crash if it can't download the MOTD. Here's a fix:

Crash on client startup

This might be causes by being unable to download the welcome message. This should only happen if the MTA site is down, or you aren't connected to the internet. If this is the case, it should try to download it for about 15 seconds - before it gives the crash. It might be possible to fix this by adding "DontGetLatest=1" on the second line of your "mta.ini" in your MTA folder (under "[Main]"). Alternatively, try creating a blank file called "mtaclientwelcome.dat" in your MTA folder - this is probably only relevant if this is the first time you've run the MTA 0.5 client.

Update: We've managed to replicate, confirm and fix this bug. Whenever we release a general patch, this will be fixed. In the meantime, ensure mtaclient.exe can access the internet through your firewall, or for on a LAN you can change the following value in mta.ini .

DontGetLatest=1

Ok, after getting past that problem, you need to specify one machine as the server host. It is generally better for this to be the fastest machine.

On the host, click on the Setup Server tab, sort out the settings that you want and deselect the Announce to ASE checkbox. Then click on Start Server.

Before you go any further, go to Start > Run and type cmd and press enter. In the command prompt window, type ipconfig and write down the address listed under IP Address. This is what you will need to type into the other machines in order to connect to the host.

Now go back to the Connect tab and enter the IP address as localhost and click Connect.

On the other machines, go to the Connect tab and enter the IP address that you wrote down earlier and click Connect.

It would be good if the server browser looked for LAN games but unfortunately it doesn't appear to.