Black screen on quit/tab as a Windows 10 user? READ FIRST!

Dutchman101

Question

• MTA Anti-Cheat Team

*Note: topic has been unpinned and locked because of reduced incidence (or complete vanishing) of the issue. If you experience this, then it's something similar and not the same issue, please create a new support section topic.

There's been increased counts of MTA players getting blackscreen problems when quitting MTA or alt-tabbing, the problem is due to Windows 10 updates that are flawed and not only MTA is affected. Windows 10 Creators update can worsen the problem, and this topics contains solutions and workarounds that you can use for now.

1) In all cases, setting Borderless window (in MTA settings > video > Fullscreen mode) will solve the problem.

If you don't like the graphics appearance difference with Borderless or have another reason you cannot use Borderless, you can:

- Fix the blackscreen once it happens (for this, hold Windows key and press 'P' and then hit Arrow down and Enter (repeat the Arrow down max. 5 times and hit Enter after each Arrow down press, eventually you will hit the right mode and display output will return)

- Prevent the blackscreen from occuring: end the Multi Theft Auto.exe process instead of ''Quit'' (this can have adverse effects with configs etc, not recommended)

- Reduce the chance it happens with 90%: click ''Quit'' while still connected to a server, instead of quitting whole already disconnected.

The alt-tab blackscreen occurs more often with the Windows 10 Creators update. This update might even increase the frequency of the problem appearing in general.

We don't recommend anything but preventing it to happen at all if you're affected by the problem; using step 1, switching to Borderless mode. It's doubtful if MTA can include a fix if Microsoft doesn't yet release updates that fixes the bug; the problem is with dwm.exe (Desktop Window Manager) and contrary to what you would think, most affected users have only a single monitor.

Also please everyone who had this problem, reply in this topic, so we can estimate how widespread the issue is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 answers to this question

I have solved my issue by rolling back to Nvidia driver 378.78 (i had the latest one installed before which is 381.89) though i'm sure since i had the issue before installing that update so this is kinda confusing. Create a system restore point before and after installing the older driver just for the sake of it.

Downloading link for Nvidia driver 378.78http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/115887/en-us

Other possible solutions ( see if it works out with you or not ) :

1 - Prevent the Game bar in windows 10 from showing up when you play the game 

( Windows key + I ) -> Gaming -> Uncheck Show Game bar when i play full screen games.

2 - Disable Game Bar, Game DVR and Game Mode by pressing Windows key + I and going into Gaming settings.

As for me i did all of what i mentioned above and the freezing problem after alt tabbing or pressing windows key is now gone.

• MTA Anti-Cheat Team
8 hours ago, Sora said:

I have solved my issue by rolling back to Nvidia driver 378.78 (i had the latest one installed before which is 381.89) though i'm sure since i had the issue before installing that update so this is kinda confusing. Create a system restore point before and after installing the older driver just for the sake of it.

The gap between what can occur with Windows 10 Creators update (released last week) and what happened since a longer period of time, may consist of that: the issues are related or seem related (blackscreens or freeze) but have in common a certain Windows update (milestone release) introduced the problems. However it doesn't work vice versa, the problem of blackscreens on quitting MTA (that started with Windows 10 Anniversary Update) isn't fixable by rolling back graphics drivers. For that case it also seems bound to AMD PC's and specific system setups.

Because of that, your solutions are worth trying for users on Creators updating and experiencing exactly the problem of the alt-tab freeze or black screen.

Edited by Dutchman101

Sorry for bumping the thread.

I just had this issue (pressing alt+tab made me get stuck with a black screen) and fixed it by following these steps:

1. Locate to your GTA folder.
  2. Find "gta_sa.exe" and rename it to something else (random.exe f.e.)
  3. Open command prompt as administrator from your start menu.
  4. Now run the following command;
    mklink "Your GTA File Location\gta_sa.exe" "Your GTA File Location\random.exe"

It should work now.

Source: http://forum.gamerxserver.com/forum/samp-server-188-165-219-63-8800/questions-and-answers/tutorials/7641-fix-your-alt-tab-blackscreen-in-windows-10

My operating system is Windows 10 Pro (x64), GPU is AMD Radeon RX480.

I don't think i have the same problem, but mine is more complicated. It only appears in one server. When i choose my Character on Hungary Life MTA, the hud apperas, but the textures, and the map doesn't load in. What should i do? Because i'm a bit frustrated cause i can't play for a month now.