Pressing ALT + TAB while in-game hangs pc

Sora

Question

Hello,

i have had this issue probably since installing recent updates for windows 10 though i'm not really sure but all the games except for MTA:SA do not hang my pc after pressing ALT + TAB to switch to desktop or any other app. 

though there's something i'm curios about(pressing esc before pressing alt + tab ) and i guess i'll try it after posting this cuz my pc would probably hang again and i will lose my work as i have to turn it off forecfully in order to get it to respond ( hard reset )

edit: i tried it and it still does no difference, still hangs my pc. i found this post the issue is similar to mine i'm going to try this solution and i hope it works :)

here's my diagnostic result : https://pastebin.mtasa.com/228537612

Thanks.

Edited by Sora
updates

8 answers to this question

52 minutes ago, ccw said:

Try:

Settings->Video->Full screen mode->Borderless window

Hey thanks it seems to fix the alt + tab issue but makes the game look weird sort of like distorted-pixelated and docked to the top-left side of screen & i cannot click on specific places in the screen can't click on settings, about, quit unless i disconnect :

after applying borderless window 

2oc2ygd.png

wp9U0BH.png

how it normally looks like :

sQg48Wm.png

• MTA Anti-Cheat Team

You're talking about a hang making you need to hard-reset your PC. A hang, or do you mean a black screen instead of getting tabbed? If a hang, does the last frame from MTA hang indefinitely? (or is it your desktop you become stuck on)

If it's MTA hanging, create a file named ''debug.txt'' in MTA installation folder, (root.. next to Multi Theft Auto.exe) and when it freezes after that, press left CTRL + right CTRL simultaneously. Then get the latest crash dump from MTA San Andreas 1.5\MTA\dumps\private and please upload to http://upload.mtasa.com

@Sora btw the difference between fullscreen and borderless is just the con of borderless mode, brightness, contrast and quality is just different - so if you don't like that its important to keep troubleshooting.

Edited by Dutchman101
2 hours ago, Dutchman101 said:

You're talking about a hang making you need to hard-reset your PC. A hang, or do you mean a black screen instead of getting tabbed? If a hang, does the last frame from MTA hang indefinitely? (or is it your desktop you become stuck on)

If it's MTA hanging, create a file named ''debug.txt'' in MTA installation folder, (root.. next to Multi Theft Auto.exe) and when it freezes after that, press left CTRL + right CTRL simultaneously. Then get the latest crash dump from MTA San Andreas 1.5\MTA\dumps\private and please upload to http://upload.mtasa.com

@Sora btw the difference between fullscreen and borderless is just the con of borderless mode, brightness, contrast and quality is just different - so if you don't like that its important to keep troubleshooting.

it's my desktop which becomes stuck i tried to press alt + tab then press both rctrl and lctrl but it doesn't seem that my pc is responding to inputs

i suspect that it could be a graphics card related issue but i'm not so sure, here are all the dumps i have in private folder but the rctrl and lctrl doesn't seem to have created a new dump file:

http://upload.mtasa.com/u/776587406/private.zip_

Edited by Sora
  • MTA Anti-Cheat Team
31 minutes ago, Sora said:

it's my desktop which becomes stuck

Once again.. when your desktop freezes, do you see a stuck desktop image, or a black screen? And no, the dump didnt generate.

Edited by Dutchman101

All i see is the last frame rendered in the display screen before i press alt + tab, like when i join a server then press alt + tab and if there was a sound playing from either the gameserver or my browser it would usually keep playing but the image would be stuck on the mta screen itself like i see my car for example or my spectators car and if there's someone chatting their conversation would freeze and the pc would not receive any inputs from keyboard etc aka "hang" unless i restart my pc ( turning it off manually then restart it aka hardreset ) it would remain hung over indefinitely 

I have solved my issue by rolling back to Nvidia driver 378.78 (i had the latest one installed before which is 381.89) though i'm sure since i had the issue before installing that update so this is kinda confusing. Create a system restore point before and after installing the older driver just for the sake of it.

Downloading link for Nvidia driver 378.78http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/115887/en-us

Other possible solutions ( see if it works out with you or not ) :

1 - Prevent the Game bar in windows 10 from showing up when you play the game 

( Windows key + I ) -> Gaming -> Uncheck Show Game bar when i play full screen games.

2 - Disable Game Bar, Game DVR and Game Mode by pressing Windows key + I and going into Gaming settings.

As for me i did all of what i mentioned above and the freezing problem after alt tabbing or pressing windows key is now gone.

• Thanks 1