Bus service

I have currently finished some scm coding to get 2 buses to run round VC in single player, I have some slight bugs to work out before it is completed , My question is are the MTA team gonna add a bus service to Blue at all, or even an automated taxi service, erm just asked as im too lazy to drive and my driving skills sux :lol: but I do think it would be a good idea to do so.

A bus service is an interesting idea, and one I've not come across before (Automated variety anyway). I'd imagine it would be relatively simple to sync in future MTAs built upon Blue, as by the sound of it you have done most of the hard work already. You'd just need to ensure enough time at each stop for players to board/alight as keepign the service 'on rails' would be the most efficient way to do it unless youve built some pretty nifty A.I. to control them.

Erm nifty AI is beyond me yet as I am still noobish to SCM however your right it does run on a rail system. The bugs I need to iron out are the bus strays at certain locations so more points to be added, and yes I have already allowed 10 to 15 second delays to main stops and 0 seconds to non-stop points, the other bug to sort out is if the bus is bashed into the drive_ point it does desturb the buses route as it has to go back thro that point to drive to next area :? . I have only been working on it for 3 days and am willing to pass the code on to someone who could develope the idea further than i can take it. At present the stops are seemless and smooth and the route limited to my fixed locations. I need to add a wrecked command to each sub-routine so it can respawn and reset its variable counter( think this is what it is called :lol: ) and start its cycle from point A. Thanx for your reply Mr Bump

Also Kenny I will be adding a cost to ride the bus but so far need to think how to approach stopping free entry to the bus when you are short of cash:P

You could make a bus system in blue, though it looks likely that the initial version will not support ai peds (i.e. drivers). There are other ways you could 'fake' it though, its not as if you can see bus drivers anyway.

As of yet I havent used a driver, if I could add one that could not be removed on entry I would just for asthetic reasons only, if the driver was a fixed addition to the bus I.E spawns with the bus into the create_car commands before and after the bus has been wrecked, then all will have the driver seen sat in the driver seat regardless of having to synch a ped or not surely, I'm not 100% sure of this but if everyone has a driver/dummy coded in then they all see it whether it does nothing at all but sit there, is that right ???? :?

Is it possible to only allow a player to enter the bus as a passenger only, and not allow him to enter the drivers seat?

thanx for the input :D

Is it possible to only allow a player to enter the bus as a passenger only, and not allow him to enter the drivers seat?

Quite easily yes.

One thing, are you using the old fashioned Bus or the Coach? The latter would probably be better as u could cram more than one person in it without too much bother.

Currently I am using the bus :? think I will convert to the coach tho thanx for that :) oh my base code is now completed and the bus runs on a rail system with no bugs as yet, still testing it :D had to change my basic coding and do a rethink which runs way better now, started to work on an AI system for stopping times i.e if no player is near the bus the bus will only stop for 5 seconds and if a player is in the area it will wait 30 seconds to allow time for boarding . I could do with some help in doing collision detection as the bus stops when a car or player obstructs the route, maybe a driver will help for this?

Just a couple more drive_to points to add in and co-ord adjustments to make and I will be willing to release what I've done so far, when I do so please remember this is a work in progress and a lot more is to be done to this project :roll:

• 1 month later...

An automated bus service sounds great, and with the new blue server's add-on functionality, it won't be too hard to make working. There might be a few problems I don't know if the blue API can handle though. What if someone tries to jack the bus? What about terrorism? ;):D

That's a good point actually that no-one's brought up before. Presumably they'd have some sort of basic error handling mechanism for the API because otherwise they're going to get lots of error reports for bugs in third party mods that they have no control over.

Some people might try to block the bus, ram if of the road. Good idea alltough. The trains and airfield to travel quick are must haves in MP. Otherwise if peeps start a meeting in Bayside and they are in Ocean docks... hmm, that would be a long travel and the meeting probably would be over allready...

• 3 weeks later...

how about a player drives taxis around, you can just spawn as a taxi driver, which will make you spawn at a taxi depot with taxi's parked at the depot, and you dressed like a taxi driver (however they dress), you can press the button you normally press to start a taxi mission in single player (or make taxi mission start as soon as you get in a taxi), and go around and pick up players and make $$money$$,

I was hoping in Blue we can add a taxi service which is automated by your own selection,i.e you pick the destination, it takes you to your selected area, hence why I started the bus project, Hope this is possible and I haven't done this for nothing :roll:

• 2 weeks later...

to BD:

You may do that from "gluing" the players on top of the bus, which isnt possible in this core.

Probably Infinite.

And how bout if the bus explodes the player is forced to get out. lmfao 10000% health. I think it should only be 100% lol. So it won't be used to escape players. Kill the n00bs lol.

god that seems so cool. Writing something yourself and then watching it come to life, bugs or not. I wanna learn how to mod :cry: and then write something, even if its sloppy I'd love it like a mother loves her ugly ass child. Could yall link a few sites that will teach me basic C++ from scratch?