Mapping [Tips & Guidelines]

Rudransh

Hello everyone! My name is Rudransh. I've been mapping for a long time. I thought to give some tips, at least as much as I can to all the beginners who face certain problems. Anyone can contribute to this post by giving his/her tips on mapping or modding. Maybe this will help few people who are in search of certain things.

To start with, the most important thing is the tutorial. Everyone who is going to start "mapping" make sure you don't miss it. It's a bit boring but i ensure you that 99% of your problems will be solved. It will take some time as it's a bit long, but it will help you a lot. Most of the people (like me) skip that tutorial and face certain problems. They are not able to rotate/move objects. So make sure that you go through the "tutorial".

• How to use "Mapping Editor" 

You will get to know most of the things on mapping editor once you are done with the tutorial. It is very simple to use. There are certain "icons" in mapping editor which provide you with objects, definitions. time/weather changer,etc. You can modify/add definitions to your editor. You can also use "map editor" on your local server. Just open your server. Write "/stop play" in console. Once it's stopped, write "/start editor". The + point of using the editor in a server is that you can get your friends with you on your server and make a map together.

• What can you do with "Mapping Editor" 

You can make many types of maps for many types of game modes. You can make Stealth, TDM, DM, DD, Shooter, base maps, CTP, PTP, CTF, etc. There are thousands of objects in mapping editor which you can use to make these maps. You can edit a location in San Andreas using those objects or you can make a full custom map. Placing the same object 1000 times and calling it a map is not "mapping". You have to think of what you are making, plan some things, interpret your ideas and imagination & turn it into a good map. It is easy to use the mapping editor but it is really hard to make a good map.

• Where are these maps used? 

Maps are used in servers. There are many types of servers on MTA and more are still coming. You can make your own server and use your map and play on it. You can also give your maps to a community and play there. Another option is to buy/sell. It is the hardest option. You can't sell your first map. Actually, you can't sell all your maps. It is hard to sell them because you don't know if what you have made is actually what the people of that server require. In order to sell your maps (if you think you are capable enough of making good maps), you must make sort of deals with other community members/owners who are searching for maps or mappers. To be honest, if you are doing mapping for fun, you should not go for selling it. Instead, you can help others for free. This would be more satisfactory.

• How to make good maps 

Making a good map depends on how you think. You cannot keep on adding objects and show it as a map. You must plan little bit of things. You must give a start to your map and go on slowly. It is not necessary that the object you place somewhere will fit in correctly. Changes are always done. You must place objects accordingly. Make sure your map is creative. Don't use same object or same type of object all the time. This makes the map look ugly. For eg: Do not spam up the boxes everywhere, this will make your map ugly and would distract people.  Don't cover up your map like a box when you are making a vs map.  Try to cover you maps nicely and check for all the bugs The best way to ensure that your map is bug-less is that you must test your map while you are mapping. Press F6 for "normal test" and press F5 for "full test". Try to use a limited number of objects. Many numbers of objects causes lag sometimes. Sometimes players find objects to be good but can't recite its name. You actually don't need to recite its name, just got in the category of that object and you will find it.

• Tools for mapping

Open that spoiler and click on that link. You will find all the useful tools required for mapping.

Spoiler

• Extra Information & Some Tips

- There are few objects which cannot be removed using "World Object remover" for example if you remove a building then it's windows light don't get removed.
- Do not miss the tutorial provided in the mapping editor, it takes time but is very useful.

That's a small contribution from my side. If anyone has some more things to add then please do reply. I hope this helps someone.

Other Contributors

Kind regards

Edited by Rudransh
  • HAZJ pinned this topic
4 minutes ago, Ayush Rathore said:

great post :D.

well u can can use map editor for many movement scripts

like gates and object movement. You just need to pick up position of object of start and end making it alot easier for us to make movement scripts and their is also a movement maker script in wiki

Movement is kind of scripters work in my opinion. About the plugins, can u state some of them?

Thanx btw

Edited by Rudransh
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...