start server via php

botshara

Hello im trying to start a server via php script, but the server doesn't starting.. shell_exec is enabled and I have renamed a mta-server to mta-server.sh..

I know that start server using root is not securely and cool, but Im just trying

<?php
if ($_GET['start'] == 'true') {
shell_exec("echo 'rootpw' | sudo -u root -S /home/mtarp/mta-server.sh");
echo 'Server started';
}
else {
    echo 'something wrong';
}

?>

Edited by botshara

According to http://php.net/manual/en/function.shell-exec.php

shell_exec returns some information in a string so change these 2 lines:

shell_exec("echo 'rootpw' | sudo -u root -S /home/mtarp/mta-server.sh");

echo 'Server started';

Into this:

$result = shell_exec("echo 'rootpw' | sudo -u root -S /home/mtarp/mta-server.sh");

echo 'Result of shell_exec: ' . $result;

And maybe it will give you an error message.

• Like 1

I'm not entirely sure about this, but you shouldn't rename mta-server to .sh file. So try to run it as it is, to execute the file you can also try ./ at the start.

Example (untested):

shell_exec("echo 'rootpw' | sudo -u root -S ./home/mtarp/mta-server");

I hope it will help you, otherwise tell us more about your problem. Does it give you any errors? Is problem within PHP or Linux?

On 25.12.2016 at 11:20 PM, Rataj said:

I'm not entirely sure about this, but you shouldn't rename mta-server to .sh file. So try to run it as it is, to execute the file you can also try ./ at the start.

Example (untested):

shell_exec("echo 'rootpw' | sudo -u root -S ./home/mtarp/mta-server");

I hope it will help you, otherwise tell us more about your problem. Does it give you any errors? Is problem within PHP or Linux?

Well, if you want to run it as a screen or do something else while at it, that's why he's not running the server directly.

1 hour ago, mgmmcaobbm said:

Well, if you want to run it as a screen or do something else while at it, that's why he's not running the server directly.

That would be reason for creating .sh file (that will for example start the server with screen utility), not renaming "mta-server" to that.

Thanks for help, but I fixed this. I added after command '2>&1' and it showed "debug", I needed to create a new user which run a .php script, because password for that user which runed php script was false.

There is any chance run a server via start paramters? Something like that
./mta-server.sh --IP blabla --password blabla

30 minutes ago, botshara said:

Thanks for help, but I fixed this. I added after command '2>&1' and it showed "debug", I needed to create a new user which run a .php script, because password for that user which runed php script was false.

There is any chance run a server via start paramters? Something like that
./mta-server.sh --IP blabla --password blabla

No. You'll need to make your own script to handle multiple server configurations and instances.

• Like 1