[HELP] A timer for every vehicle

adithegman

Hey! I just started scripting in LUA and I need some help... I have a very good knowledge of the C languages (mainly C++) but I'm having trouble understanding a few things. 

What I want to do is create a timer (x = setTimer(...) ) for every vehicle on the server... and I have no idea how to do it. I know it must be tied to tables, I tried using tables but I failed...

I only just started on LUA today so I'm a pretty big noob ;) 

NOTE: This account is not MINE so disregard my other posts

Edited by adithegman

Is really needed binding every vehicle to a timer? Did you check the events? Most things can be achieved with events, and most people (me at least) don't like timers xD

A note on what @iPrestege said: also store the created timers on a table so you can manage them. Don't store only vehicles. The best way would be creating a table for every pair of vehicle-timer, so for every vehicle you can easily acces its timer. Or use the vehicle as key/index

Spoiler

example of that table:

local thingsTable1 = {}
local thingsTable2 = {}

function callMeOnStart()
	for _,theVehicle in pairs(getElementsByType( "vehicle" )) do
		--pair of vehicle+timer
		thingsTable1[#thingsTable1+1] = {theVehicle, setTimer(function(theVeh) end, 60000, 0, theVehicle)}
		--or even better, use the veh as index
		thingsTable2.theVehicle = setTimer(function(theVeh) end, 60000, 0, theVehicle) -- equivalent: thingsTable2[theVehicle] = setTimer(function(theVeh) end, 60000, 0, theVehicle)
	end
end

9 minutes ago, LoPollo said:

Is really needed binding every vehicle to a timer? Did you check the events? Most things can be achieved with events, and most people (me at least) don't like timers xD

A note on what @iPrestege said: also store the created timers on a table so you can manage them. Don't store only vehicles. The best way would be creating a table for every pair of vehicle-timer, so for every vehicle you can easily acces its timer. Or use the vehicle as key/index

Reveal hidden contents

example of that table:

local thingsTable1 = {}
local thingsTable2 = {}

function callMeOnStart()
	for _,theVehicle in pairs(getElementsByType( "vehicle" )) do
		--pair of vehicle+timer
		thingsTable1[#thingsTable1+1] = {theVehicle, setTimer(function(theVeh) end, 60000, 0, theVehicle)}
		--or even better, use the veh as index
		thingsTable2.theVehicle = setTimer(function(theVeh) end, 60000, 0, theVehicle) -- equivalent: thingsTable2[theVehicle] = setTimer(function(theVeh) end, 60000, 0, theVehicle)
	end
end

Thanks for the example man! I think I got the idea... And BTW, I don't really need a timer for every vehicle, It is something close to that but a bit more complicated to explain so I just asked that question hoping that it will implicitly answer my ohter unknowings and fortunately it did. Thanks for the help!