0.5.x testing update. (08/04/2005 @ 05:03 CET) by MrBump

Si|ent

Having discovered a rather nasty sync related problem that appears to have been with us for some time but was exaserbated in version 0.5, our testing over the last few days has been concentrating on pinpointing just when it crept into the code. This has involved using both older clients/servers/scm sets and brand new cut-down versions.

The good news is we seem to have found when it crept in and can therefore build on the prior code to prevent it reappearing. Here are a few images taken during this process

*note that as said before these were files created specifically to narrow down on this issue, they do not represent what will be in the final release*

IMAGES

Depending on the severity of the problem some features that are currently in the 0.5 release may have to be removed for 0.5.x More on this later..

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On that last pic you killed quig by punch/kick. Is that synced?

That was just one version of the scm where the weapon switch code was removed, so it was similar to the glitch in current versions - when you shoot your weapon, you punch on others' screens.

"Looks like 0.5.1 is progressing well. work hard guys. On that last pic you killed quig by punch/kick. Is that synced?" -njr1489

Punch/kick, or rather punch is prob. synced like you've seen on the pic. I doubt kick is synced though. Kick would work if the other player (actor rather) is on the ground on HIS SCREEN, then, that would make you kick him. I might be wrong, but I highly doubt that kick is synced but I wouldn't be surprised at all that punch is synced.

I would also like some clarification on the first (http://turfwar.wojjie.net/news/1.jpg) and second screen shot (http://turfwar.wojjie.net/news/2.jpg), the other actor is shooting to the side... It's very noticable on the first one: the shots from the shot gun come from the left side of the player when the shot gun is way more to the right. Maybe the MTA team should try to fix those aim bugs for good before releasing this version.

What about on the forth shot (http://turfwar.wojjie.net/news/4.jpg), I see pedestrians walking. Those can't possibly be synced as it would cause to much lag. Isn't that a major dissadvantage for other players? That is you kill that ped. and he drops a weapon... Thats not faire is it?

"u dissapeared soon as u got on [...] now your black" -MrBump (forth screen shot)

Seems theres more unknown disappearance bugs and also a skin bug. I really hope this version doesn't get release soon because we all know the current mta version (0.5) wasn't the biggest hit. Lots of work will be needed on this version to turn the MTA reputation arround from each new version going from bad to worst.

Edited by Guest
Is it ok to ask if these 2 questions?

Is the credit bug fixed?

Is testing almost completed?

Some features being cut off makes me wonder what might happen. Hopefully 0.5.1 will not have more positives than negatives.

njr i will let bump handle those questions just becuase im not in the position to answer anything like that

What else can we base the game play on? I am just commenting on the pics (I am aloud to do that am I not?). I would guess if you guys didn't want comments similar to mine, maybe those screen shots shouldn't be posted. I dont think that's an option as we all want to see the progress. So, I would think it is ok base my opions on those pics since its all we (the public) have right now besides some text information.

Will it work this time? ©

As Nuttertools said, You cannot sync peds (properly) without causing massive bandwidth usage...

*Do the cars now respawn on right places? For example those road at the Phil's place.

*Are there interiors for the gressy chopper and downtown ammunation?

Etc.

Um... Ok... Two brand new faces come in and start asking questions in a negative tone.. What's up with that?

It was stated that these are just test pics, they don't reflect actual game play in the new revision. Nothing in the pics can be taken as gospel for what's coming our way.

Nutter, you have no reason to step in and start flaming right out the gate. If you've been around MTA for a while, why hide behind some new login?

These are merely TEST PROGRESS pics, as in, they were testing some synch issue they found from an older version, and he has some screenies of the testing process.

* hangs a pair of "Please do not feed the Trolls" signs on the two "new" users *

My old account got deleted as I only posted maybe, ehh, 3 times. And that was a while ago. Have never registered since them since I'm not a active MTA player anymore. Still majorly interested in Vice City though. Making my own mods for Vice. And as I said in my previous posts; I know these are progress pics (I can read and know how to use my brain), I am just giving out my opinion...

Will it work this time? ©

As Nuttertools said, You cannot sync peds (properly) without causing massive bandwidth usage...

*Do the cars now respawn on right places? For example those road at the Phil's place.

*Are there interiors for the gressy chopper and downtown ammunation?

Etc.

They are probably not trying to synch peds.. It could just be a glitch from some leftover and barely modified SCM code.. They are well aware of the bandwidth issues involving peds, I'm sure.

The secondary spawn of the cars happens when something goes awry in the initial spawn point, it's like a backup. This is not a huge gameplay issue, a minor inconvience at best. Yes, I'd like to see it fixed too, but let's get more accurate and synched gameplay first rather then worry about "Oh damn, I have to run back into Phil's to get the van that just respawned after being messed up on the road, there's 5 seconds of my life I'll never get back"

Who cares if these interiors are there or not? How many people actually go in there to fight? The only reason people go into the chopper now is to abuse the missing imagry by having invisible walls to duck around. Again, not a huge gameplay issue, I'd put both of these far down on the list of things to work on

Interiors probably not, as we are limited to how many is_player_near checks we can have (these trigger the interior loading) and we use several already.

Those peds were part of an experiment relating to the sync issue, not an attempt to get peds ingame.

Credit bug? - if you mean the 'live' Message Of The Day problem then yes of course, that was fixed in about 5 seconds once it came to light.

Testing almost completed? - Don't ask for release dates!

Thanks for the update Bump. It's great that you're keeping us informed.

Nuttertools, they said that they tested old versions of MTA as well. It's pointless basing your opinion on those screens because for all you know, they may not even be from 0.5.x.