CL33 error MTA:SA

trotineta99

Question

13 answers to this question

• MTA Anti-Cheat Team

You have an MTA installation present at the usual location, while you're launching the installation located on: C:\PROGRA~2\MTASAN~1.5\MULTIT~1.EXE

which is obviously a corrupted path/installation. The CL33 error is because MTA launcher is renamed to that filename which it shouldn't be.

Please re-install MTA and make sure you manually enter the default installation folder before proceeding. (being C:\Program Files (x86)\MTA San Andreas 1.5\ )

Let me know if this worked.

EDIT: Also, that corrupted path I stated is infact just a notation used in certain filesystems, to translate into the full path. MTA clearly doesn't like that to launch from, so maybe if you rightclick MTA shortcut and change the start in-path to point to MTA's install folder > Multi Theft Auto.exe, does that solve it? Even a step earlier, does launching Multi Theft Auto.exe directly from file explorer C:\Program Files (x86)\MTA San Andreas 1.5\ work?

Edited by Dutchman101
  • MTA Anti-Cheat Team
On 28/10/2016 at 20:11, trotineta99 said:

now... i have an other error... i have an CL16 error...

Load failed. Please ensure that the latest data files have been installed correctly.

mta-datafiles-missing

That's because he linked you the wrong installer, and you might have chosen another directory along with it.

Use: https://nightly.multitheftauto.com/?mtasa-1.5-latest

This is just to solve the datafiles error, after all the suggestion of re-install doesn't neccesarily contribute to the solution. I will get back to you about the issue and further troubleshooting.

22 hours ago, Dutchman101 said:

That's because he linked you the wrong installer, and you might have chosen another directory along with it.

Use: https://nightly.multitheftauto.com/?mtasa-1.5.3-full-latest

This is just to solve the datafiles error, after all the suggestion of re-install doesn't neccesarily contribute to the solution. I will get back to you about the issue and further troubleshooting.

yeah i have already test that version i have the Same error of CL33....

• MTA Anti-Cheat Team

I sorted this with you on Teamviewer remote access, just for the record: PC riddled with trojans and file-infecting viruses.

This case of CL33 error was caused by the virus inner workings messing with the launch path. Explanation under here is just for future reference to understand how this type of virus can cause a MTA CL33 error.

''The virus writes its body to the beginning of the file being infected and redirects the program entry point to the virus body. With that, a part of the original program file is being encrypted.

If the virus body runs with a parameter equal to the program name a User launches, then the program name is rendered as a parameter and its full path is located in the "%WinDir%\directx.sys" file for its further infection. File infection criteria listed above are met.

If an infected file runs, after running the virus body, the virus decrypts a part of the original program file and executes the program restoring its original body which it had prior to infection.

If the virus cannot restore the original program body, then the restoring program file is written to the temporary catalogue of the current Windows user ("3582-490") with the original name:

%Temp%\3582-490\ (MTA launcher was located here occasionally)

Afterwards, the original file is executed.

(source: https://www.adaware.com/myadaware/malware-descriptions/blog/viruswin32neshtaa)

backup of said page: https://web.archive.org/web/20190528120837/https://www.adaware.com/myadaware/malware-descriptions/blog/viruswin32neshtaa

• Thanks 1
  • MTA Anti-Cheat Team
On 11/6/2016 at 10:41 PM, Citizen said:

@Dutchman101Happened to this guy as well:
https://forum.multitheftauto.com/topic/90495-quand-je-lance-mta/
The posts are in french but he had the exact same problem with the exact same cause. He fixed it by modifying the registry key back to default value as suggested in the lavasoft page linked above.

Don't forget you didnt give him instructions to remove that virus yet, if he won't then the corruption could re-appear. Also recovering that registry key's value is tricky, if you do 1 thing wrong, not any Windows app will launch no more, not even regedit itself. (some automatic tool removers of the WIN32.NESHTA virus will automaticly repair the key too)

Edited by Dutchman101
  • Moderators
20 hours ago, Dutchman101 said:

Don't forge you didnt give him instructions to remove that virus yet, if he won't then the corruption could re-appear. Also recovering that registry key's value is tricky, if you do 1 thing wrong, not any Windows app will launch no more, not even regedit itself. (some automatic tool removers of the WIN32.NESHTA virus will automaticly repair the key too)

Yeah I know right, I asked him to run a antivir scan at the same time to remove that virus. I didn't want to promote the lavasoft products I don't know of.
I didn't think about that potential problem (not being able to start regedit again) even though it does make sense.

What would you recommend to do for a proper, safe and complete fix ? (This could be an entry for the FAQ ?)

• MTA Anti-Cheat Team
On 11/7/2016 at 7:17 PM, Citizen said:

Yeah I know right, I asked him to run a antivir scan at the same time to remove that virus. I didn't want to promote the lavasoft products I don't know of.
I didn't think about that potential problem (not being able to start regedit again) even though it does make sense.

What would you recommend to do for a proper, safe and complete fix ? (This could be an entry for the FAQ ?)

https://www.google.com/search?q=neshta+removal+tool or just a good antivirus scanner to also clean the infection.

About the Wiki thing; there are many viruses out there that can cause MTA to not work or cause this CL33 error (I think more than this particular Neshta virus) and we happened to find out how 1 of them did damage that leads to MTA not launching; we shouldn't standarize that approach because most of the time support already ends once a PC becomes so much infected that MTA doesnt work. Just because we found out the mechanism that caused Neshta to impede MTA functioning, this workaround can do, as reversal of that is the registry workaround (some AV scanners or specific W32.Nestha removal tools can do the same, but because its unclear if even a random anti-virus scanner will, let's add a wiki page on recovering MTA after the virus was removed. (I will create it once I got time, or if you want you're free to do so)

Also for wiki it should be clear this scenario/workaround is only verified for W32.Neshta virus (which is pretty common though) because attempting to apply the fix for CL33 or load errors caused by other viruses can make things go horribly wrong. (also as I said its a sensitive key, one wrong value and not a single app/program will load (PC unusable) and you'll have to replace the registry key back with automated .bat or so)

Edited by Dutchman101