Project DownTown

• MTA Team

We have decided to stop with MTA and we are concentrating on a new project. The reason for this switch is the fact that the GTA games are too limiting to provide a basic platform for multiplayer gameplay.

Therefore we have decided to start from scratch and build a game of our own. The working title for this project is “DownTown”. It will be a multiplayer based game in the line of MTA/GTA. Not much information is known at this moment about gameplay since we have just started development but we are aiming for maps with support for 128 players and support for pedestrians. The game will feature 5 cities (Brussels, Cape Town, Rio, Toronto, and Tokyo).

Of course we need to expand our team and we are looking for skilled modellers and mappers. Interested? Mail us at [email protected] .

Why April first? We know it’s a bad day and maybe we should have waited one more. We have been planning it for weeks now but we were unable to announce it due to talks with sponsors. That silence ended with the end of March and the first following day is today.

We can not yet disclose what 3D engine we are using but the game will be OpenGL/OpenAL based and will be built for both Windows and Linux.

Putting a release date on the project so early is almost impossible but we are aiming for a public beta by the end of 2007 and a release somewhere mid 2008. The first art for the game will follow in a couple of days/weeks.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1
  • MTA Team

I was pointing to the fact that gmail was launched on april first, 2004, and if you read the text below that image on the gmail page you will find a link to what really is new. By the end of the day Gmail will offer 2GB of storage and text mark up for emails.

Putting a release date on the project so early is almost impossible but we are aiming for a public beta by the end of 2007 and a release somewhere mid 2008. The first art for the game will follow in a couple of days/weeks.

Even if this were true, judging from my experience's with this team, I'd say the approximate beta date is an absolute minimum of 4 years later, with an entire half week of beta testing only 2/3's of the game..

(sound familiar?)

=P