How to Fix the Shotgun

Guest Cheeser12

Yes, yes, I know. Its been posted before. But I feel its an important issue, and I'd like to bring it up again.

Basically, the shotgun is unbalanced.

When you get hit with a shotgun, you get hit with a lot of damage when hit at short range. That's not a problem. Shotguns are supposed to do a lot of damage at short range. But then there's the knockdown.....

Even at long range, I get knocked down when hit with the chrome shotgun.I shouldn't even be getting hit at long range with a shotgun. And I actually get hit with a good bit of damage at long range. Shotguns aren't supposed to do heavy damage at long range. In real life, sure, any gunshot would do good damage. But this is a game.

Its pretty annoying to get knocked down with a shotgun. Basically, people just keep shooting, waiting for you to get up so you can get hit again. No matter how many times you dodge it, as soon as you turn around and fire back, BAM! Your down again. If you try to run, the enemy just switches guns and sprints after you, and once you stop, knocks you down again. In real life this is fine. But, like I said, this is a game. It isn't fun to keep getting knocked down, and not even being given a chance to fire back.

My suggestions:

1. Eliminate knockdown. It sucks all the fun out of the game when you can't even fire back at a guy with a shotgun, because you just get knocked down.

2. Lower the damage when you get hit with a shotgun from a medium to long range distance. Shotguns are close range weapons. If I'm even a medium distance away in MTA, I get hit with a good amount of damage and still get knocked down, which is pretty annoying. If you get hit with a shotgun from a medium or long distance, it shouldn't do like 30 damage. Maybe 15 at most.

3. Add a short delay for switching weapons. Even if you don't want to use the other 2 suggestions, use this one at least. This way we can actually have a chance against a guy with a shotgun if we run back for cover: we'll at least be able to get a few shots off at him. Don't make it so long that the shotgun is useless, but add a short delay.

I hope you will take my ideas into consideration. Remember, I'm not suggesting that you make the shotgun completely useless. I'm just suggesting you make it balanced.

1. Eliminate knockdown. It sucks all the fun out of the game when you can't even fire back at a guy with a shotgun, because you just get knocked down.
I don't think that this is possible, at least in the current core.
2. Lower the damage when you get hit with a shotgun from a medium to long range distance. Shotguns are close range weapons. If I'm even a medium distance away in MTA, I get hit with a good amount of damage and still get knocked down, which is pretty annoying. If you get hit with a shotgun from a medium or long distance, it shouldn't do like 30 damage. Maybe 15 at most.
The shotgun's damage already varies with range.
3. Add a short delay for switching weapons. Even if you don't want to use the other 2 suggestions, use this one at least. This way we can actually have a chance against a guy with a shotgun if we run back for cover: we'll at least be able to get a few shots off at him. Don't make it so long that the shotgun is useless, but add a short delay.
This was done with the stubby in 0.4, but removed in 0.5. In my opinion, the stubby and shotgun's switch interval should be slightly past the animation loop end to prevent switching weapons too early (as this also creates warp). So yes, I agree with you there.

Hopefully all weapons will be more balanced in the next version, which is supposed to focus mainly on gameplay.

Edited by Guest

like you said the shotguns will always be an issue and the MTA team have done things to try to balance them out

they have reduced the damage on the stubby already.

there is also a time delay for the shotgun its called the reload cycle unfortuntly ppl tend to find ways to get around thinggs like that like crouch glitching, wepaon switchings and so on.

they also took out jumping with the stubby in 0.5 to try to balance it out aswell.

personally i think the weapons are fairly balanced it just a matter of playing a bit and trying different ways to defend against certain weapons

but don't worry the MTA always looks for better solutions and ways of doing things

Actually...it doesnt really depend on range...the stubby shoots 5 bullets in a diverging formation...at a longer distance, you would normally get hit with only one of those bullets...but when the stubby is right infront of you, you'll get hit with all five shots, it usually means instant death.

As for my suggestion for shotguns...don't have anyone spawn with them, have shotguns hidden around the city instead. So, then atleast we know, after we get killed by a shotgun, that the shotgunner had to work for it. So, less shotguns = less complaining 8)

Actually...it doesnt really depend on range...the stubby shoots 5 bullets in a diverging formation...at a longer distance, you would normally get hit with only one of those bullets...but when the stubby is right infront of you, you'll get hit with all five shots, it usually means instant death.

How can it not depend on range if you take more or less damage depending on how close you are to the blast?
Actually in my opinion, half of its fault is the animation when you get up. If you compare the animation between gta 3 and vc, gta 3's is a bit faster and should use that but I don't think its possible.

id like to add to that - in gta3 the whole warp jump was a great addition it allows you to jump higher, but if your knocked down, u can also, with a bit of skill, dodge shots off the ground which gives you a second chance.

and i personally think the shottys main weakness are uzi's, they could work best against them, but there too underpowered to do anything in mtavc

Actually in my opinion, half of its fault is the animation when you get up. If you compare the animation between gta 3 and vc, gta 3's is a bit faster and should use that but I don't think its possible.

id like to add to that - in gta3 the whole warp jump was a great addition it allows you to jump higher, but if your knocked down, u can also, with a bit of skill, dodge shots off the ground which gives you a second chance.

and i personally think the shottys main weakness are uzi's, they could work best against them, but there too underpowered to do anything in mtavc

i havent seen uzi in mtavc since...hmz...0.2?? where did u saw uzi??

taking the kock down would would be the only thing on that list that would really make it better. sadly there are alot of combos with the kock down.

lowering the damage does nothing as proven. adding a weapon delay is a good thing. but poeple have to abuise things so it's not that helpful at the moment when this happens.

This was done with the stubby in 0.4, but removed in 0.5. In my opinion, the stubby and shotgun's switch interval should be slightly past the animation loop end to prevent switching weapons too early (as this also creates warp). So yes, I agree with you there.

It was added in 0.4, and is still there, it just hasnt been added properly.

For example in 0.4, crouching allowed you to break out of it, but holding sprint didnt, and in 0.5 you cant use crouch to break out, but u can use sprint.

reason? god knows :?

people are obsessed with either crippling or removing the shotguns. toying with the weapons has not proven very effective in the past.

what I would suggest is instead of messing with the weapons, just randomize the time people stay on the ground during takedowns.

im saying that the uzi is best to takcle the shotty in general. and the uzi is still with the crusador who has been around since 0.2.

its Ingram MAC-10......sorry..... but i dont like when ppl call Ingram the UZI....

IMI UZI

http://nas2.gbhinc.com/GB/030298000/302 ... 761595.jpg

Ingram MAC 10

http://nas2.gbhinc.com/GB/030072000/300 ... 827829.jpg

well, an ingram mac 10 IS an uzi, that uzi in the first pic is still an uzi too.

i beleive im right in saying an 'uzi' is a simplified term so there can be more thatn one type

im saying that the uzi is best to takcle the shotty in general. and the uzi is still with the crusador who has been around since 0.2.

its Ingram MAC-10......sorry..... but i dont like when ppl call Ingram the UZI....

IMI UZI

http://nas2.gbhinc.com/GB/030298000/302 ... 761595.jpg

Ingram MAC 10

http://nas2.gbhinc.com/GB/030072000/300 ... 827829.jpg

well, an ingram mac 10 IS an uzi, that uzi in the first pic is still an uzi.

well, i can hardly agree....uzi is not a type of gun, its a model

all of them (UZI, MAC-10 and MP-5) r Sub Machine Guns....thats the only name u can call them all

There has been talk of eliminating knockdown here so i figure this could go one of two ways, or both :P You could keep it how it is, u get knocked down with shotties but maybe make it so you don't at distance or, this might sound gay but i think it would be ok. As blue will be moddable, why not have one mod that makes mta play more like a FPS, a 3rd person FPS if u like (i dont care if thats a contradiction :P) what i mean is this mod could make it so: Run while shooting, no knockdown at all etc. u get my drift. not sure if this is possible/good, but it would be nice to have this option sometimes in blue but not make it a permanent change cus i know it would piss eveyone off

Yea the knockdown makes chrome the big choice now, since it has considerable damage and you can get not one, but usually 2 shots in before someone can move (if you time it right). So thats 3 shots altogether. Plus, you got 3 pickups that a relatively easy to get.

I shouldn't say this but

Spawn sailor and pick chrome shotgun up at cherry poppers

Hit em, throw a grenade, get back, start shooting.

If you dont kill em with the bullets, grenade will (& vice versa)

For a longer use of this strategy, SS is the choice as he has 10 grenades.

lol in real life who wouldnt get knocked down after a blast of the shotgun?

Thats true though. I think it should be realistic as it is. Other guns will one day have an advantage against the shotgun when guns are 100% synced. I say leave it as it is until that day comes, check if the shotgun will be less dominant.

Its not the actual knockdown that makes it frustrating, but the lame and slow-ass way your player gets up afterward. Unfortunately, those animations cannot be controlled in our current core (0.5) We have looked into the matter before and the only way we found to stop knockdown then was by using a method which caused all sorts of problems.

Its not the actual knockdown that makes it frustrating, but the lame and slow-ass way your player gets up afterward. Unfortunately, those animations cannot be controlled in our current core (0.5) We have looked into the matter before and the only way we found to stop knockdown then was by using a method which caused all sorts of problems.

this is why gta3ssv is cool cause with ur scm pwnage trx u made that warp jump...and u can dodge shots of t3h ground n stuff

I meant that too. Once you get knocked down, you wait about 3 seconds to get up. Then when you get up, its so slow.