0.5.x testing update. (29/03/2005 @ 17:12 CET) by MrBump

Si|ent

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i agree! mta 0.3 was the best mod ever! it had the mta feel to it but when 0.4 was released that feeling had disappeard :S. i think the team should just get the 0.3 scm and work on that and the client.

Ok, first you say take the stubby out, then you say make it like 0.3. There is no question that the most powerful weapon in 0.3 is the stubby, and without it there wouldn't be much point in going back to 0.3.

My point is I like weapon.dat the way it is in single player, where you shoot someone once or twice and they DIE.

Maybe this is a cultural difference. Many European players seem to prefer their weapon.dat wattered down or "balanced" while many American players prefer it at full power the way R* intended it to be (and without

any other tinkering to "fix" glitches).

Could we have a server side option for original, completely unmodified weapon.dat and "balanced, deglitched" weapon.dat to better serve the reigonal needs of our players? That would be the simplest solution to the endless bickering over weapon strength and glitches. The server admin sets the weapon.dat mode (or maybe even pushes it to clients!) so those who want purity (0.3) can have it on the newest engine and those who want the tinkered version can have that.

i agree! mta 0.3 was the best mod ever! it had the mta feel to it but when 0.4 was released that feeling had disappeard :S. i think the team should just get the 0.3 scm and work on that and the client.

Ok, first you say take the stubby out, then you say make it like 0.3. There is no question that the most powerful weapon in 0.3 is the stubby, and without it there wouldn't be much point in going back to 0.3.

My point is I like weapon.dat the way it is in single player, where you shoot someone once or twice and they DIE.

Maybe this is a cultural difference. Many European players seem to prefer their weapon.dat wattered down or "balanced" while many American players prefer it at full power the way R* intended it to be (and without

any other tinkering to "fix" glitches).

Could we have a server side option for original, completely unmodified weapon.dat and "balanced, deglitched" weapon.dat to better serve the reigonal needs of our players? That would be the simplest solution to the endless bickering over weapon strength and glitches. The server admin sets the weapon.dat mode (or maybe even pushes it to clients!) so those who want purity (0.3) can have it on the newest engine and those who want the tinkered version can have that.

yeah, i said once that the weakest weapon (MAC 10) should make 15, m4 - should kill with 4-5 shots (20-25 dmg), m60 with 2 etc...... the orginal weapon.dat is that deadly to pedestrians..... for me the weapons dmg should be increased...... this the only solution now - if 1 bullet from 5 shoted hit make sure it will make some dmg :roll::wink:

you honestly beleive that the continent you live on has something to do with peoples opinion on weapons.dat files? I wasn't aware you did worldwide survey and had such consistant results.

Which do you prefer, original or modified weapon.dat?

If you want to see a survey, go look at ASE throughout the day. There has been a dramatic drop in players on US servers while 0.4-0.5 has been out, and much less of a drop in Europe (maybe even a slight increase). Obviously a generalization that doesn't apply to everyone but that doesn't mean we should ignore the obvious reigonal differences in what players want.

Edited by Guest

yeah, i said once that the weakest weapon (MAC 10) should make 15, m4 - should kill with 4-5 shots (20-25 dmg), m60 with 2 etc...... the orginal weapon.dat is that deadly to pedestrians..... for me the weapons dmg should be increased...... this the only solution now - if 1 bullet from 5 shoted hit make sure it will make some dmg :roll::wink:

The problem is that there will never be an agreement on what to do with weapon.dat. Not even close. That's why I am suggesting a server side option for two possibilities: "original" and "balanced". "Original" is an

obvious choice as it is the way the game was meant to be played.

"Balanced" could be some attempt at balancing and or deglitching weapons

for those who want that.

Which do you prefer, original or modified weapon.dat?

If you want to see a survey, go look at ASE throughout the day. There has been a dramatic drop in players on US servers while 0.4-0.5 has been out, and much less of a drop in Europe (maybe even a slight increase). Obviously a generalization that doesn't apply to everyone but that doesn't mean we should ignore the obvious reigonal differences in what players want.

1. Player drops are not necessarily for that particular reason.

2. I remember seeing some stats on CSports.net several months ago which showed that US players are by far a majority, so it would be logical that player count reductions would be proportional.

"Original" is an

The single player game yes. If people want everything as close to single player as possible then we would of course have to give you, the player, similar hitpoints to an NPC to reflect this, meaning 2 colt 45 shots would kill you. MTA Instagib anyone?

"Original" is an

The single player game yes. If people want everything as close to single player as possible then we would of course have to give you, the player, similar hitpoints to an NPC to reflect this, meaning 2 colt 45 shots would kill you. MTA Instagib anyone?

werent that 4 shots?? if real colt 45 kills with 2 shots so plz make it kill with 2 shots :roll::wink: j/k....but u could increase dmg

"Original" is an

What some of us would like is weapon.dat to remain unchanged, just like

in 0.3. How hard would it be to have a server side option to choose between original and balanced?

A lot harder than you'd think unfortunately. I'm afraid things liek that are highly unlikely to appear until Blue is available, as that is built ground upwards with such a system in mind.

Besides, I actually agree with you in some respects and feel the weapons damages and rates of fire, ranges etc are fine as is, just not for the same 'make it single player' reasons as yourself, and the availability of them via either position of pickup or cost of purchase is the way to balance them. - the only exception to this being small changes to try and prevent the worst of the glitches, those that involve vastly increased rate of fire, or warping so bad that combat becomes a game of 'guess where he will be next second'.- but not all the team agree therefore 0.5's weapons were very altered (I wasn't around) and 0.5.x remains to be decided either way. One of the reasons for rounds of weapon testing mentioned.

A lot harder than you'd think unfortunately. I'm afraid things liek that are highly unlikely to appear until Blue is available, as that is built ground upwards with such a system in mind.

Besides, I actually agree with you in some respects and feel the weapons damages and rates of fire, ranges etc are fine as is, just not for the same 'make it single player' reasons as yourself, and the availability of them via either position of pickup or cost of purchase is the way to balance them. - the only exception to this being small changes to try and prevent the worst of the glitches, those that involve vastly increased rate of fire, or warping so bad that combat becomes a game of 'guess where he will be next second'.- but not all the team agree therefore 0.5's weapons were very altered (I wasn't around) and 0.5.x remains to be decided either way. One of the reasons for rounds of weapon testing mentioned.

Just to be clear, I'm NOT advocating making it like Single Player, as in the way the weapons affect npc's. All I am asking for is an option to have the same gameplay (damage and glitches) as 0.3, but with the improved stability, aiming and other features of 0.5.x.

I'm not surprised that there are different opions amongst the team, as there certainly are among the players. While you were out there were some very heated debates about which glitches to fix/not fix and what the damage should be for various weapons. Even discussion about what weapons to include (spaz).

I would like to see a "classic deathmatch" game mode that is like 0.3 (but with the improvements in stability and aiming) and a new deathmatch game mode using the gta3 style weapon spawn/purchase system and any balancing/glitch fixes that work. That way everyone could be happy and no more arguments over glitches and damage.

Is syncing the crouch impossible with the current core?

Most of the weapon adjustments were because of glitches that are only possible with unsynced crouching

----------------------------

Assuming that's a "wait for blue' answer I would like to see power and balance by increasing the weapons from the 0.3 model that are weaker to compensate for the strength of the Stubby and Spaz

and more ammo the better

I would think all of the decisions on the next version have been taken at this point since it's in testing thou

Is syncing the crouch impossible with the current core?

Most of the weapon adjustments were because of glitches that are only possible with unsynced crouching

But that is a slippery slope. We've been through this many times before. Fix one glitch and you make one group happy and another pissed off. MrBump's reference to massive warping makes me wonder if this is being optimized for dialup. When we play in 0.3, people are switch glitching, jumping and probably crouching all over the place and I don't see any significant warping. I never have to guess where they are unless they are on dialup and/or have a high ping. The exception is when they get knocked down and keep running until they snap back to the position they fell at. We are all used to dealing with that.

If you're going to make a classic game mode, make it just like 0.3, don't try to fix any glitches or one group or another will complain.

The single player and MTA environments are very different.

In order to keep things balanced, some things have to be changed. We learned this in 0.3, didn't we?

I'm going to have to agree with you when you say that 0.5's weapon.dat was totally butchered, but I hope that the next version's will be a lot better.

A server-side option to disable weapon.mta sounds pretty similiar to enabling or disabling cheating on a server, which has been turned down time and time again. It's just not possible on this core.

See, three totally different wants in the space of a short time there ^

We cannnot satisfy everyone unfortunately, you'll just have to take it as it comes until such times that you too can create your ownm game design within MTA (providing you have the skills to do so of course, or the persuasive powers if not)

KungFu, this is the new testing regime, everything that we the team need tested is tested by a dedicated team of testers, not just the 'prospective release versions' a day or so before release. (far too many 'test' in that sentence but oh well)

Im glad to hear it but I wish MTA would draw a line since the current version has such large sync issues and the crusader bug

Then go back in the lab and make all of the changes possible to max out this core...

Then on to blue...

Im happy with the current version even thou it needs tweaking and I can still play 0.3 (server in sig *cough*)

So work your magic and take your time but hurry up

A server-side option to disable weapon.mta sounds pretty similiar to enabling or disabling cheating on a server, which has been turned down time and time again. It's just not possible on this core.

That comment is totally out of line. I assume you would not want classic game mode on your server but don't try to equate an UNmodified weapon.dat with cheating. If it were possible for an official release to be considered cheating it would be by using weapon.mta (which turns down damage!)

not the other way around!

I didn't say that it would be cheating, nor did I say that I was against it (though I do think that leaving the file completely unmodded in the finished product is a bad idea).

A server-side option for disabling CRC checks on certain files (or something of that sort) is just not going to happen on this core. This has already been discussed.

I didn't say that it would be cheating, nor did I say that I was against it (though I do think that leaving the file completely unmodded in the finished product is a bad idea).

A server-side option for disabling CRC checks on certain files (or something of that sort) is just not going to happen on this core. This has already been discussed.

Ok, I think we misunderstood each other. I am not proposing disabling crc checks. That would be very bad. I'm proposing having the client decide wether "mta" cooked weapon.dat or the Rockstar weapon.dat based upon a server configuration option. I think versions 0.3 and before used the Rockstar version and only in version 0.4 did mta start using their own. Any modifications to either of those files would not be permitted.

all hes saying is he wants an option so the server can choose for the original weapon.dat to be used or the modified mta weapon.dat.

me? im kinda in the middle with this suggestion, but i think im slanting towards the 'modified weapond.dat' since too many admin options could cause problems, with people not knowing what servers to go in if you see what i mean

(tired, cant be bothered to explian properly)