Press Article: Why A Million People Still Play Multiplayer Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas Every Month

darkdreamingdan

1 hour ago, Simple01 said:

MTA more players than SAMP? That's not possible O.o

Can you read mate?

had 616,000 players in July (up from just 33k in February 2010), while the other, SA-MP, oscillates between about 15,000 and 50,000 concurrent players. I went to talk to members of both mod communities to find out what keeps them playing.

Kinda interesting how nobody from SA-MP's official team had decency to talk about their mod, because like usual, they really don't care about it.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, RizoN said:

They can't though, because GTA:SA doesn't have official multiplayer like GTA 5 does.

Well, someone who plays MTA might play less GTA 5 Multiplayer, or not play it at all.

Personally, I don't see a reason for myself to play GTA 5 Online, as long as there is MTA.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Blast3r said:

Kinda interesting how nobody from SA-MP's official team had decency to talk about their mod, because like usual, they really don't care about it.

They probably heard "MTA" and noped the fuck out of there. Not surprising, considering they ban still ban people for mentioning MTA on their forums.

A good read. Very glad they covered some smaller MTA servers out there.

4 hours ago, Noki said:

They probably heard "MTA" and noped the fuck out of there. Not surprising, considering they ban still ban people for mentioning MTA on their forums.

A good read. Very glad they covered some smaller MTA servers out there.

Lol both me and my friend got banned for mentioning MTA from their forums. Not to add how that friend was a lot more invested into SA-MP than I was, he had a decent server running there and like 2k posts and 200 REP points or so.

Damn, how did they count 616k players ;p Ehh Just kidding!

Seriously glad to read that.

By the way, Maybe it appears that SA-MP is way more populated than MTA on Game-state and other game monitors, But that could means that It has more online players at a certain time than MTA, but not a bigger playerbase, I assume both playerbases are almost equal...

SA:MP is more popular because of 1 simple reason; they were first. (2005?)

They had a good start, and then many years later (1 jan 2008) MTA came with the deathmatch version (DP1) and it was still buggy after all those years of development. 

Now many years later MTA passed SA:MP on every front. Not all players would just move over after so many years, they got used to SA:MP and are very attached to the community.

Atleast that's what i think. 

Though i am very impressed how popular MTA is today, didn't expect that at all to be honest.

MTA:Race doesn't count as first, i meant the first fully working multiplayer for GTASA ofcourse. Then you could also say that GTA:Rumble or GTA Tournament was the first multiplayer for GTA SA.

Ofcourse San Andreas Multiplayer has the name but i think the main reason is still being first at something. Also MTA had a big reputation already for years.

Edited by Simbad de Zeeman

I have a sentiment that this game will never die.

There will not be another game like GTA SA.

MTA brought me to scripting and along Lua I also learned PHP, MySQL, HTML, CSS, JavaScript and currently studying C++, thank you MTA Team and thank you MTA community.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Tekken said:

I have a sentiment that this game will never die.

There will not be another game like GTA SA.

MTA brought me to scripting and along Lua I also learned PHP, MySQL, HTML, CSS, JavaScript and currently studying C++, thank you MTA Team and thank you MTA community.

Well if Take 2 Interactive stays as retarded as they are, I agree with this. I'm also wondering, and I know this is off topic, but am I the only one that was quite disappointed with GTA V's storyline? I mean don't get me wrong, I like the 3 characters idea but I just didn't see them develop too much and also didn't really feel like I'm doing much progress at all. Like the "big job" didn't even feel like "the big job" to me while in GTA:SA the riots in LS somewhy felt so intense to me and in GTA IV getting the revenge really had me pumping from madness of that Dimitri. GTA V on the other hand was like meh, especially cause I was hoping we'd have something gang related again like in GTA:SA, would love that.

Another thing that caught my eye in the storyline was how long it took you to get a gun in it. SA made you start with absolutely nothing, didn't take too long to get a gun but it wasn't right away. IV also made you start with absolutely nothing, took a bit (at least it feels like a bit on the first time you play it) to get a gun and it felt nice to use that gun. GTA V was like "Just starting the game? Here's an assault rifle m8!"

Sorry for going off topic :D

• Like 1
  • jhxp featured this topic
  • 1 month later...

MTA has more players then SA-MP, but also a lot more servers, so servers on MTA feel more empty then ones on SA-MP. Also, yeah, what my Balkan neighbor said:

On 9/23/2016 at 8:31 PM, Blast3r said:

Actually saying SA-MP was first is a mistake many people make. MTA:SA came 4-5 months before SA-MP, however it did come out only as Race but then again still before SA-MP.

As for one of the big reasons why SA-MP has bigger playerbase, it's this:

12d8a66060.jpg

This is what one who is completely unfamiliar with GTA:SA's multiplayer options would google, and what they would get as their first option. I personally started with SA-MP back in 2008 and didn't know about MTA until 2010 which is when I started playing MTA as well, I was still playing SA-MP from time to time while MTA was my main focus until I got banned on SA-MP's forum for mentioning MTA a year ago, then I fully transfered to MTA:SA and also made sure to defrag my disc after uninstalling SA-MP to make sure not even a small bit of that mod is left on my PC :D

Also, pardon the Croatian from google, I hate it as well :D

I too didn't know about MTA up until friend of mine showed it to me in 2012, yet I did found SA-MP years earlier, even though, I never even looked for any multiplayer extension. Just googling GTA SA will give you SA-MP among results.

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/09/2016 at 10:30 AM, CodyL said:

I really don't get why people are still playing SAMP; MTA is a whole lot better for plenty of reasons.

- Better optimization

- More scripting ability

- Join and play, no having to manually install mods if the server is using them

- Etc, I just woke up and don't feel like listing more.

Omg, you have touched at the bleeding spot, mate. MTA is WAY better than SAMP.

On 01/12/2016 at 5:15 PM, Gengar said:

MTA has more players then SA-MP, but also a lot more servers, so servers on MTA feel more empty then ones on SA-MP. Also, yeah, what my Balkan neighbor said:

I too didn't know about MTA up until friend of mine showed it to me in 2012, yet I did found SA-MP years earlier, even though, I never even looked for any multiplayer extension. Just googling GTA SA will give you SA-MP among results.

SAMP is full of hackers. I was one of those Skids that played with s0beit to get inside police cars or cheat money. I've also found a bug where you could bypass the s0beit / cleo detector just teleporting 10 fts away. SAMP it's a like test from an 10 years old boy, that he wants to hide from his parents, because he has failed miserably.

On 26/09/2016 at 4:34 AM, Simbad de Zeeman said:

MTA:Race doesn't count as first, i meant the first fully working multiplayer for GTASA ofcourse. Then you could also say that GTA:Rumble or GTA Tournament was the first multiplayer for GTA SA.

Ofcourse San Andreas Multiplayer has the name but i think the main reason is still being first at something. Also MTA had a big reputation already for years.

MTA is the first developing an functional anti-cheat.

Edited by RughCuttle
  • Like 1