Computer gets BSOD after 10 min. of playing MTA

Guest aaron619

this is kind of getting annoying... if i play MTA, it runs fine after 10 min. then a BSOD pops up... i really want to play this game without that hassle... my OS is xp home SP2

video card is 64 mb geforce4 mx 440

i also tried installing MTA again with different instalers from different mirrors.. help plz!

this is something to do with your sound card probably, i had that with sp2 (aka the devil).

sp2 forces you to install some kind of a new cmedia driver which messes up mta and some other games after about 5-10 minutes of play, on certain events..

try reinstalling your original sound drivers, and if not, try to reinstall your video drivers as well(though thats a shot in the dark).

Is it true that WinXP SP2 causes all kinds of problems and errors? I installed 0.5 on several non-SP2 computers and it worked fine, but I tried on one SP2 machine and there it gives all kinds of errors. The program even fails to start.

Could be sound drivers as people have said but it could also be to do with DEP which SP2 installs. (Data execution prevention)

To turn it off:

2. Click Start, click Run, type cmd in the Open box, and then click OK.

3. Change to the root directory of the hard disk where Windows is installed. Typically, this is drive C. To do this, type c:, press ENTER, type cd\, and then press ENTER.

4. Type attrib -s -h boot.ini, and then press ENTER to remove the hidden attribute and the system attribute from the Boot.ini file.

5. Click Start, click Run, type notepad c:\boot.ini, and then click OK. The Boot.ini file opens in Notepad.

6. Under [operating systems], copy the operating system path of your Windows installation, and then paste it under [operating systems].

7. In the newly-pasted operating system path, remove the following switch:

/noexecute=optin

8. Save your changes to the Boot.ini file, and then quit Notepad.

9. Restart the computer.

Sorry copied from some Microsoft help thing.

It got rid of the BSODs i had. If it doesnt work just reverse the steps.

• MTA Team

Could be sound drivers as people have said but it could also be to do with DEP which SP2 installs. (Data execution prevention)

To turn it off:

2. Click Start, click Run, type cmd in the Open box, and then click OK.

3. Change to the root directory of the hard disk where Windows is installed. Typically, this is drive C. To do this, type c:, press ENTER, type cd\, and then press ENTER.

4. Type attrib -s -h boot.ini, and then press ENTER to remove the hidden attribute and the system attribute from the Boot.ini file.

5. Click Start, click Run, type notepad c:\boot.ini, and then click OK. The Boot.ini file opens in Notepad.

6. Under [operating systems], copy the operating system path of your Windows installation, and then paste it under [operating systems].

7. In the newly-pasted operating system path, remove the following switch:

/noexecute=optin

8. Save your changes to the Boot.ini file, and then quit Notepad.

9. Restart the computer.

Sorry copied from some Microsoft help thing.

It got rid of the BSODs i had. If it doesnt work just reverse the steps.lol, you even know what DEP is and when it is active?

You can disable DEP in System properties which is a hell of a lot easier than the method Twig suggested. I wouldn't really advise this though, as it's used to prevent viruses injecting code into memory space being used by other applications (or something like that). By default, it is only enabled for Windows components so it should not affect MTA. If you did choose to enable it for all programs, you can specify MTA as an exception within System Properties (click on the Advanced tab and then Settings under Performance).

DEP only works if you got an AMD64 or a intel proc with NX (only recent ones have it with the new numbering, you can find it out with a CPU identifier tool or by searching for the letter J on the package.

I'm pretty sure that SP2 has a software "equivalent" that doesn't require a NX chip.

Software-enforced DEP

An additional set of data execution prevention security checks have been added to Windows XP SP2. These checks, known as software-enforced DEP, are designed to mitigate exploits of exception handling mechanisms in Windows. Software-enforced DEP runs on any processor which is capable of running Windows XP SP2. By default, software-enforced DEP only protects limited system binaries, regardless of the hardware-enforced DEP capabilities of the processor.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodte ... mempr.mspx

But yeah, hardware's much better, it seems.

lol, you even know what DEP is and when it is active?

Whats does that matter? i was offering a solution to a problem which occurs on many PC's with SP2 and (presuming he has one) a AMD64 processor.

If you'd actually read up on it then you'd realise this fixes many BSOD problems with SP2. I myself had the problem and following those exact steps i disabled it.

Maybe there is an easier way but why would microsoft say to do it this way?

Sorry i didn't realise that trying to solve someones problems would lead to an attempt at patronising me Blokker.

My error says ....Driver_equal_or_less_than (forgot what the driver was but it was 4 charcters with a Q in it :shock: )

I had that error when my graphics card drivers were messed up (or it might have been a physical problem with the card - I can't remember).

My suggestion:

1. Reseat your graphics card and sound card (if applicable) - i.e. take them out and put them back in. Sometimes problems occur because you've put another card in which flexed the motherboard slightly and caused another card to come out of its slot.

2. Install the latest drivers for your graphics and sound cards.