GEFORCE 6800 GT 256mb, good buy?

gamebro

I have a geforce TI 4200 128mb ddr video card.

Would it be a smart buy, to get a geforce 6800 GT 256mb for $330? I will not even consider ATI cards, and NVIDIA cards don't really have a sweat spot in the price range right now. Price vs. power, this is about the best from what I can see from the NVIDIA side.

My card is great for GTA VC, but lagging bad in newer games. What do you guys recommend?

my pc stats--

2100xp AMD chip

1 gig ddr 400 ram

I'd say get it if the price is right, but you're only going to notice the difference if you upgrade your CPU as well. The Ti4200 isn't that bad, so you may be able to improve in game performance by keeping the old card and upgrading your CPU.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah come on mr bump! I waz just having a lil fun is all. My little pc actually has 2 voodoo 2 12mb cards in SLI mode, plus a diamond viper 16mb tnt card to handle the 2d graphics. :D

Really? A faster CPU would be better? Hmmm... I could get a 3200 XP amd chip (400 ddr) for only 125 bucks. With this I would see a good performance gain in games? The 3200 xp really only runs about 500 mhz faster then what I have now (2100 xp). Then again, it is cheap....

So basically, it would be a poor choice to get a 6800 GT, without getting a new chip slapped in first? I do like my 4200 TI, but I have had it for 2 years now :oops:

I agree with you mad boy. I had a ATI card when my pc was new (radeon 7200 I think) and it freaking sucked. Nearly every game had some type of graphic glitch or another, so it seamed incompatible with some games. I am sure the newer cards are fine, but I am a NVIDIA junkie now. 8)

i would buy a new processor as well as motherboard. i dont think its a good idea to waste money on a CPU right now for a motherboard that you will have to replace soon anyway.

i would go for a Skt 939 nForce4 mobo and a cheap 3200+ or 3000+ CPU. it should last you for a while as it will support the future dual core processors. this way you will buy a futureproof PCI-E video card as well. if you dont want to spend all that money now though, i recommend getting a cheaper card like a 6600 and saving up for your next upgrade.

if you buy that 6800GT with your current setup, the CPU will be a huge bottleneck, and again i dont think its wise to pour money into a new CPU for that aging system. also keep in mind that your next motherboard will most likely be PCI-E, and you wont be able to use your nice, new $300 video card in it.

WELL AH CRAP! :P

I guess I am screwed untill I build a new pc then..... :cry: Once ya change mobos, you might as well replace it all. :D

Later this year I wanted to get a amd 64 chip (fx maybe). Some of the upcomming games are gona be real power hogs.

And I suppose that by christmas there will be GeForce 7800 GT's out. :o

THX for the advice though people. I have decided to save my money ( I am a cheap bastard ) and wait for more worthy, decently priced hardware to exist.

that isnt gonna happen. as soon as the 6800GT 256mb drops to a decent price, sapphire and nvidia would have already released the first 512mb cards anyway. my barton athlon xp 2800+ seemed like a good cheap buy at the time but actually it wasnt, i can now get an amd 64-bit 3200+ for the same price.

that isnt gonna happen. as soon as the 6800GT 256mb drops to a decent price, sapphire and nvidia would have already released the first 512mb cards anyway. my barton athlon xp 2800+ seemed like a good cheap buy at the time but actually it wasnt, i can now get an amd 64-bit 3200+ for the same price.

Yeah, but hardware normally comes before game support, so there are unlikely to be many games that will make full use of 512MB cards as soon as they come out (Doom 3 being the only exception I can think of).

• 4 weeks later...

The size of the card doesnt mean shit in most cases, the interface and speed of the memory does.

6800 Ultra runs on a 256bit interface, around 1ghz GDDR3 and is 256mb.

It beats the x800xt, it has SM3 (shader model 3) and is just a very sexy card, i own one myself.

Im not dissing ATI so u ATI fanboys out there, please dont piss ur pants.

If u want the "fastest card out" get the X850XT PE. - the fastest card for "now" although 2 6800 ultra's would murder it but we can all afford to go SLI now can we.

A 6800 will more than likely overwhelm you and ur pockets so maybe a 6600GT would be more suited for MTA.

Similar to a 6800, it has 1ghz mem speed BUT runs on a 128 bit interface which is the bottleneck. You will play most games on the highest settings with it and it costs half the price of a 6800 ultra.#

Also, u have a gig of pc3200 which runs at 200mhz BUT its only doing 133mhz cos ur CPU isnt capable of a 400 bus speed so a CPU would be needed m8y.

Damo

If I were you, I would rather go with an X800. I saw it on the screen savers, and they tested it with far cry. The graphics were just amazingly realistic, and the picture was so clear and perfect.

*Glances at last post*, never heard of the X850. I rekon its good.