MultiTheftAuto 0.5.1 Preview

eAi

"Stability" goes beyond just the amount of crashes.

Unless I missed something on the preview page, the new VC DM mainly focuses on new additions, not gameplay.

I'm seeing a pattern of new additions only bringing forth more problems, therefore lowering the overall stability and quality of gameplay.

A good example is the "security improvements" introduced in 0.5. ;)

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still skeptical.

0.2.2, 0.3r2, and 0.4.1 quickly addressed major bugs that affected gameplay, but that's apparently not the case with 0.5.1. It seems to be only focusing on new additions, as I said earlier, which would explain why it has taken so long already (not that I have any problem with the wait).

That is, unless someone could elaborate which positive changes to the gameplay 0.5.1 will introduce.

I understand bug fixes, but which bugs have you fixed?

You say that you've made a general increase in stability, but how have you done that?

Are there any other real improvements worth mentioning at this time?

Well theres no reason not to try and advance MTA.. I mean if it was really THAT bad everybody would be playing 0.2.2 ... the files are still up for grabs.

If you are waiting for a great MTA version... you will probably remain disappointed for some reason until you see BLUE. Thats what most of the team is working on. I think a new game system would be quite nice, we'll just have to see what happens.

How can you say that a new spawn system wouldn't affect gameplay? I get the impression that you haven't played GTA3:MTA 0.5 yet, as you would understand that this is a VC conversion of Shoreside Vale's successful spawn system.
Unfortunately, the current spawn system isn't the only problem with VC DM in this version, and in the bigger picture, would have little impact on gameplay if it were the only thing that was changed in 0.5.1.
Well theres no reason not to try and advance MTA..
I agree.
I'm still skeptical.

0.2.2, 0.3r2, and 0.4.1 quickly addressed major bugs that affected gameplay, but that's apparently not the case with 0.5.1. It seems to be only focusing on new additions, as I said earlier, which would explain why it has taken so long already (not that I have any problem with the wait).

That is, unless someone could elaborate which positive changes to the gameplay 0.5.1 will introduce.

I understand bug fixes, but which bugs have you fixed?

You say that you've made a general increase in stability, but how have you done that?

Are there any other real improvements worth mentioning at this time?

If you had the slightest clue on how memory hacking works and the consequences that come with Read/WriteProcessMemory, maybe you'd think before posting things like this. You have no idea what goes on behind the scene, how changing one method requires you to change ten others, how many things happen that we don't see. Have you simply forgotten that GTA was not designed multiplayer, or is your head so far up your ass you've been brainwashed by this third party multiplayer concept, somehow conceived into thinking its 'natural'?

And whats up with your definition of gameplay? Do you not agree that new additions alter gameplay? Do you not think that the SWIMMING addition to San Andreas affected gameplay? If not, I suggest you return to second grade where you belong; it is obvious you severely lack something we like to call common sense.

The security improvements mainly were directed towards the netcode. Tell me, have you seen ONE BOT since this new version has been released? Have you?

If you're having problems on your 700mhz 64mb PC, then don't bother complaining about the sacrafice concerning decrease in quality for the increase in security, unless you actually enjoyed people ruining others' games.

You can put all of the random insults aside... they're not needed. I'm not here to flame anybody, and you shouldn't be, either.

I don't need programming knowledge to see "what goes on behind the scene." You're the one that's lacking in common sense if for some reason you think that all new additions must come at a cost. Stability and playability shouldn't be sacrificed for anything. It's also no excuse to lose focus on gameplay in process.

"New additions" is a broad term, and few have positively affected gameplay over the last few releases...

How would you know exactly what the security improvements were? The MTA team didn't even mention it on the 0.5 preview page. Safegards against exploits (such as BLooD's weapon) are possible, you're right, but was the cheating protection improved? My guess is that it wasn't, considering the fact that the client was cracked within minutes of the official release... and looking at your "MTAClient.exe string reference" sig (hmm).

This is of course just an assumption, but if cheating can't be stopped, can exploits not be stopped either, either? Were the security improvements really necessary, especially at such a cost?

Oh, and I'm doing just fine on my P4 2.4 GHz with 1 GB of RAM machine, but not doing so great on my 56k connection (which was just fine in previous versions, but can't seem to handle the nearly doubled bandwidth requirements for 0.5)... thanks for your concern, though.

You can put all of the random insults aside... they're not needed. I'm not here to flame anybody, and you shouldn't be, either.

I don't need programming knowledge to see "what goes on behind the scene." You're the one that's lacking in common sense if for some reason you think that all new additions must come at a cost. Stability and playability shouldn't be sacrificed for anything. It's also no excuse to lose focus on gameplay in process.

"New additions" is a broad term, and few have positively affected gameplay over the last few releases...

How would you know exactly what the security improvements were? The MTA team didn't even mention it on the 0.5 preview page. Safegards against exploits (such as BLooD's weapon) are possible, you're right, but was the cheating protection improved? My guess is that it wasn't, considering the fact that the client was cracked within minutes of the official release... and looking at your "MTAClient.exe string reference" sig (hmm).

This is of course just an assumption, but if cheating can't be stopped, can exploits not be stopped either, either? Were the security improvements really necessary, especially at such a cost?

Oh, and I'm doing just fine on my P4 2.4 GHz with 1 GB of RAM machine, but not doing so great on my 56k connection (which was just fine in previous versions, but can't seem to handle the nearly doubled bandwidth requirements for 0.5)... thanks for your concern, though.

Well I appreciate you maturely handling the situation, I was in a bad mood..

Nonetheless, they did in fact improve the security a lot. The packets seem to be randomly encrypted with Rijandael (AES) encryption, wich is in some cases even used by the government. The client seems to be packed, thats why the released crack requires a 3rd party ASM hook instead of just simply re-compiling the MTA client. The CRC protection as also been slightly revamped, with 1 single error message (You are running a modified mta client) instead of it telling us exactly what we're missing, etc. As for trainer detection, it seems the client is now constantly scanning particular areas in the memory, making sure they arent 'changed' by a different process - if they are, you're disconnected (such as the drive on water cheat).

Nonetheless, they did in fact improve the security a lot. The packets seem to be randomly encrypted with Rijandael (AES) encryption, wich is in some cases even used by the government. The client seems to be packed, thats why the released crack requires a 3rd party ASM hook instead of just simply re-compiling the MTA client. The CRC protection as also been slightly revamped, with 1 single error message (You are running a modified mta client) instead of it telling us exactly what we're missing, etc. As for trainer detection, it seems the client is now constantly scanning particular areas in the memory, making sure they arent 'changed' by a different process - if they are, you're disconnected (such as the drive on water cheat).

Plus there's the bug where spawning as the Crusader twice kicks you because you have too much armour.

Unfortunately, Zircon, the sad factor of life is that people will always try to cheat and we must pay the price for it. If you buy a nice sports car, your insurance premium will be extortionate because it's attractive to thieves. It's not your fault that people steal, but you'd still have to pay the price for it. I recently applied for a passport and had to go through all sorts of checks so that they could verify who I was (which was inconvenient) because other people had tried to exploit the system in the past.

You get the idea.

But you have to ask yourself... is it worth the cost?

Better coverage for car insurance or more preventative measures for illegally obtaining a passport is.

The security improvements in 0.5 aren't.

There's also better methods to stop cheaters in real life. In-game we can only ban them from servers.

Why bother trying to improve clientside cheat protection when it will be reversed eventually, anyway? Why not improve server administration instead, the only real way to keep cheaters out of the game?

The situation wouldn't be as bad if something of more importance had to be sacrificed.

i have to disagree - i think the amount of cheaters has greatly reduced. i think that people arent realising how it was back in earlier versions. im not saying that it was all because of mta's cheat protection. the introduction of client admins has greatly reduced cheating. ive very rarely found cheats in mta0.5, and when i do, im playing in the right servers so they get banned immediately.

yes the ammount of cheaters has been decreased. but the anti cheat system hasn't been improved much, otherwise ppl couldn't crack it so easily. and don't forget that the amount of players has been decreased as well(in compare to the amount of players when mta 0.3r2 and earlier were the newest versions), some of them are waiting for a patch for mta 0.5, some are waiting for mta blue, some are waiting for other online mods for gta (vc), and some still play mta 0.5(or even older versions).

/me wonders if any of this new info will come through to admin?

/me wonders also

/me lyks getnick command for admins (JUST 10 BYTES WORK!!)

/me also lyks submode packet

/me also lyks spawn packet

/me also lyks skin packet

/me also lyks more info :P