Make it easier for yourself...

Gareth

I can't reach every site I try. When I try to ping http://www.gmail.com, I get an IP. If I go to that IP using internet explorer, I get Google. (So, Gmail and Google are on the same server, and Google is the main page.)

Is it nevertheless possible to make a quicklink to Gmail, using the host file?

(The same goes for Travian: s1.travian.nl gives an IP that leads the the german version of the game.)

not with the host file afaik

host file is only and just only

host file exist from a age when there was no dns server !! (so that was made so people didnt have to fill in a IP adres in their browser)

there were no dns servers then let alone different ports, subsites etcetcetc

maybe a proxy can do that for you .. but now im just guessing

Well, ok. I will google a bit for proxy. But for most sites the host file is a good solution, so thanks for that tip anyway.

do i put the ports in?
no .. put that in the mtasa client in the port box in the quick connect :roll:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Host_file

so it doesn't replace all numebrs then, that sucks i got the MTA official server woking under mta but i guess i stil have to remeber the port numbers as two of my usual server have same IP. I had fun entering a server under the IP and asking which server im in lol

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

lol... how to re-invent the wheel... :) Just run a DNS server and make it point to an upstream DNS for all servers it doesn't know about itself, hosts files cause more issues than they solve. :) Next you'll be inventing BOOTP or something :)

lol... how to re-invent the wheel... :) Just run a DNS server and make it point to an upstream DNS for all servers it doesn't know about itself, hosts files cause more issues than they solve. :) Next you'll be inventing BOOTP or something :)