How'd you do it?

Well GTA3 started with a moderation of the "admin console" thing someone made. GTAVC, they started making it themselves. I don't know what other tools were used besides a tool to view the SCM obviously. Just a team with a broad range of knowledge of coding and networking to make a great game :)

Like with most good software, if you know how to code.. and you're willing to offer time.. and you have a cool group of people.. you'll have cool software.

As for the tools, we use some general debugging/programming software.

Visual studio.....hrm.

Yea, I teahcing myself through online toutorials. Worken good. I prefer a book instead.

A good one is Sams Teach Yourself Visual C++ in 21 Days. It has about 600 - 700 pages and is very detailed.

That's what I used to get myself started about 3 years ago, (mine was just C, not C++) but for starters, there isn't much difference until classes. Great book tho, and I actually got good a C coding when I used TIGCC to make TI-89 games.. anyway yeah I recomend that book too.

Btw, on the subject of modding, you can get tools from the web that allow you to scan the ram a game runs in, and perform tests. For example, you can seach for a value or a word and if it finds it in the games ram, it will give you a pointer... as long as your own c++ program can nab the same pointer, your code can move the player, by changing his x,y,z variables thru pointers... get it? If you don't know what a pointer is, get to learning c. Basically GTA3 has a whole bunch of varaibles (cars rotation positions, players rotatations, cars x-y-z locations, players locations, players weapons, etc...) mta just changes those variables by changing them in the games ram, and syncs them with their own net code. That sounds super-simple, but considering gta3 wasnt meant to be modded several problems can arise, including unstability. (Which I'm sure we've all... enjoyed; yay for mta4!)

Anyway I hope thats a more in-depth description of what you wanted to know as far as mod coding. AFTER you are profeccient at C++, try making your own games with OpenGL, learn here at: nehe.gamedev.net. But it would be pretty difficult for you, until you master C/C++.

)>-GTAtari-<(

Btw, on the subject of modding, you can get tools from the web that allow you to scan the ram a game runs in, and perform tests. For example, you can seach for a value or a word and if it finds it in the games ram, it will give you a pointer... as long as your own c++ program can nab the same pointer, your code can move the player, by changing his x,y,z variables thru pointers... get it? If you don't know what a pointer is, get to learning c. Basically GTA3 has a whole bunch of varaibles (cars rotation positions, players rotatations, cars x-y-z locations, players locations, players weapons, etc...) mta just changes those variables by changing them in the games ram, and syncs them with their own net code. That sounds super-simple, but considering gta3 wasnt meant to be modded several problems can arise, including unstability. (Which I'm sure we've all... enjoyed; yay for mta4!)

Don't forget code injection and assembly stuff. Not for beginners. :P

A good one is Sams Teach Yourself Visual C++ in 21 Days. It has about 600 - 700 pages and is very detailed.

would you be able to use it with DevC++?

The tutorials are geared at MS Visual C++ but there's a fairly large C++ appendix in the back which teaches you general C++.

Visual studio.....hrm.

Yea, I teahcing myself through online toutorials. Worken good. I prefer a book instead.

Yea.....My dad is a computer security analyst for Boeing, and he brough home the CD for that. But he didn't know an 400+ page instruction book was to accomany it. I need to buy that book.

Cause I'd love to work on the MTA team. But hell, i need to know a sh!t load of coding!

Like with most good software, if you know how to code.. and you're willing to offer time.. and you have a cool group of people.. you'll have cool software.

As for the tools, we use some general debugging/programming software.

hey mta team is there a dude named terminator on ur team he comes to servers and says he is on mta team and is from autralia is there a dude on mta team from australia and uses terminator name?

Where did you guys learn how do do the extensive and complicated coding for MTA? What kind of tools did you use aswell?

It's amazing of how you guys did this!

So very extensive and complicated...

Can't be too extensive and complicated... So many MP mods come out of left field and have synced shit after 2 months of development.

I'm sure I could do it by myself...

errr...

Yeah, I could... :roll::roll::roll: