Download Speed

Ma5ter

I'm out of ideas and I have a server with a 2.3 GB download with mods that took a very long time to add in. Is there anyway I can make the downloads for clients faster? Without removing scripts/mods? I also have already tried nginx and it would just timeout players or the webserver itself would timeout.

A webserver shouldn't timeout just like that, are you sure that the configuration is correct and that you copied all the client cache files to the webserver properly? An external server should be faster than the internal one but 2.3GB will take time to download anyway.

If it helps knowing, I was using Nginx and the host was using localhost, since I dont have money for a webhost service. Would that be causing the timeouts clients were having? Also, If I got one of these MTA hosting services would the download (the 2.3 GBs) be any faster than it already it is? (took me around an hour and a half).

If it helps knowing, I was using Nginx and the host was using localhost, since I dont have money for a webhost service. Would that be causing the timeouts clients were having? Also, If I got one of these MTA hosting services would the download (the 2.3 GBs) be any faster than it already it is? (took me around an hour and a half).

The built in HTTP server used by MTA really isn't that slow. Sounds more like your download or the servers upload is not performing properly.

Running the HTTP server on the MTA server itself wouldn't cause timeouts if it was configured properly.

I can't vouch for this unnamed hosting provider, but they most likely won't provide any better speeds than what you can achieve yourself depending on your hosting solution.

2.3GB in 1.5 hours means 3.4 Mbit/s download speed, that's a very odd number for a home network but also very low for a host. You could try meassuring your own networks bandwidth first: http://www.speedtest.net/ to see if it's higher than 3.4Mbit/s, if it is then you may get a better speed from switching to a better host, if not then it's your local network that is the bottleneck.

When using the builtin http server you can increase the amount of connections per client from default: 5 up to 8 to speed up the download a little bit since more files can be downloaded parallel. You could also pack resources into zip archives to reduce the amount of files and thus get less delay times from requesting files. If none of this works when you may need a better host, although some of them may find 2.3GB download quiet controversial and put restrictions on your server.

• 2 weeks later...