0.5 = high ping?

Well...

Seeing as how no dev has responded to this, I guess it's safe to assume that they don't know what's wrong or don't how to fix it.

Not a good thing... increased bandwidth usage creates a problem for both the players and server owners alike. Is the question 'why does 0.5 consume more bandwidth' that difficult to answer, or is everyone really that clueless? :?

Because of the security improvements in 0.5 the client now needs more CPU usage and bandwidth.

The bad pings could be caused by a internet connection which is simply too slow (56k) or too less CPU power. Make sure you're not running any CPU intensive applications (except for GTA3 or GTA:VC and the MTA client).

So basically the system (and bandwidth) requirements for MTA are higher in 0.5.

ahh, i see.

so basically you see it as an improvement, and it happens to be unfortunate for those without broadband or a not good enough CPU.

Is this likely to be improved? i have just come out of our server where i was attempting to train, frequent time-outs, mta client random closes, crashes, packet loss and lag made the once-enjoyable game unbearable.

if it isnt going to be fixed my mta boots may be hung up. :(:cry::(

You just wiped several people off the playing field, then. I strongly disagree that implementing ANY new feature at the cost of stability is a good idea. A higher demand for bandwidth and processing power will only severely limit the amount of people that can play this game.

And I unfortunately fall into that category... well, it was fun while it lasted.

You just wiped several people off the playing field, then. I strongly disagree that implementing ANY new feature at the cost of stability is a good idea. A higher demand for bandwidth and processing power will only severely limit the amount of people that can play this game.

Security always comes at a cost unfortunately.

Security always comes at a cost unfortunately.
But giving up stability for something less important (the 'security improvements,' which have yet to be explained in detail, so I'm assuming they're very minor) is too costly.

The MTA team took their focus off gameplay long ago...

But giving up stability for something less important (the 'security improvements,' which have yet to be explained in detail, so I'm assuming they're very minor) is too costly.

I'm not sure that they will ever tell us. If people know too much about it, it's easier to find ways around it.

The MTA team took their focus off gameplay long ago...

You have to remember that it's not as easy as modding something like Half-Life. This has a lot of technical barriers that need to be overcome.

But I do have a question for IJs: how come GTA3 pings are generally lower than VC pings?

I'm not on a low-end system either, so that's not my problem (though I'm sure it would be for some). I'm just using 56k... that however did not render the game unplayable until now.

The system and bandwidth requirements (or recommendations, really) for previous versions were already high enough. Performance should not get worse per new release. More and 'better' features isn't any excuse...

You've bogged the game down with so many new additions that only a limited amount of people can play now, and those that actually can can't fully enjoy it because you also took your eyes off gameplay in the process.

Edited by Guest
sorry to rebump and all but I just want to appeal to the MTA team that they try to fix this ping problem because im really considering leaving it if the latencys arent fixed because i can get 40 ping on Wolf ET and in MTA i keep getting kicked from MTA:MA.

lmao pwned