Custom Map & Model Render

Mrki_Drakula

Hello forum,

So recently I've assembled a small group of people to work on a new project I've been thinking about for a long time. I've been a really long user of SA-MP but i realised how lame it is compared to the MTA.

To make a long story short, we are working on a new island, so what is the best way to achieve this?

Should we map the whole thing (roads, terrain, building, etc) in MTA? Would that be too laggy? Would it render correctly and in time? I'm trying to avoid vehicles falling thro the terrain while driving really fast. Can i put higher field of view? Would making a custom model and letting players download it work better? If yes, should I do like one custom model for all the roads so it doesn't have to constantly load it or what? What is the objects limit of MTA?

I'm really not familiar with MTA and I'd really appreciate any info you could lend me. Thanks in advanced people!

David.

Hi. I'll try to answer some of your questions.

Should we map the whole thing (roads, terrain, building, etc) in MTA? Would that be too laggy? Would it render correctly and in time? I'm trying to avoid vehicles falling thro the terrain while driving really fast.

If you are going to use default (native, non-custom) objects, then In-built map editor is your option. Run it on your server, let your friends join and map your stuff together. No, it won't be laggy (unless your crappy PC that can't run 10 year old game properly) and it will render correctly, but there is one thing: only 300 objects (or so) can be rendered at one time; means that if there are more than 300 objects in the point you are standing on, then some of the objects will start to dissapear from your screen (thats how the streamer works) while others will appear and so on. You can be sure that you won't fall through the map while driving fast, MTA streamer perfectly handles such situations.

Would making a custom model and letting players download it work better?

Well ofcourse you can put custom models on your server but don't expect it to work fine with lots and lots of custom objects. I experienced some difficulties when I was trying to move custom city to MTA (it was Myriad Islands mod afair) and I reached the point where some of the models started to loose their collisions, not sure may be I did something wrong, just keep in your mind that it's really unstable thing.

What is the objects limit of MTA?

There is a limit for all elements on the server (including objects, vehicles, players, peds etc.) which is 65535 or so and I doubt you will ever reach this limit, so just forget about it and put as many objects/stuff on your server as you need.

Hope it helps you a bit. Cheers.

I really really really wanna thank you on your answer! I really appreciate your help!

Thanks man, I'd like to buy you a beer somehow :)

I assume my best chance is to go with the original models. I was thinking about putting just custom roads but as far as i understood you, I might get pretty serious collision problems with them. Not worth a try.

Thanks again and best regards,

David.

• 2 weeks later...

Well there is a way to do it, but it is really complicated and it requires some serious scripting and modelling knowledge but here are the solution in general:

- You'll have to make a dynamic model loader

It is complicated because you have to make it in a way that the script only loads the model to a certian object whenever it gets loaded (getElementsByType or something), so it loads like 50 object to 1 ID depending on that the object is loaded or not.

- You'll have to make the island in 3ds max

You have to cut the model into multiple pieces, it is not the most complicated thing.

- You'll have to build roads to the model which has been cut to multiple pieces

This is the part what takes serious terrain-making skills in 3D.

Good luck :D