High CPU Usage on Conhost.exe

CapY

Edit: I'll leave the solution for the sake of anyone encountering the same problem. The issue was with the "hiberfil.sys" file. It's a file you may not be able to see with standard folder settings.(Check: Show Hidden Files and Folders in Windows 7, 8.x, 10, or Vista). Usually it is located in the root of C:\ partition.

The file contains a list of services & drivers and is used by the fast startup feature which reads them when the system boots up in order to boot the Windows faster. There were some corrupted services which were causing such high CPU usage. I managed to resolve the issue by disabling the fast boot. (Right-click on the Start > Power Options > Choose what the power buttons do > Change settings that are currently unavailable > Uncheck 'Turn on Fast Startup')

Hello,

Whenever I turn on my PC, I get multiple instances of conhost.exe running, resulting in skyrocketing my CPU usage up to 100%. Although, it disappears if I restart the system but appears again if I boot the system while it is completely shut down.

I'm running Windows 10(build 11082) and I am unable to update it to the next build, which is 11099 due to "The installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during PRE_OOBE operation 0xC1900101 - 0x4001E" error.

Probably updating my OS to the newest build would resolve the problem but that is not what I am interested in resolving but the amount of usage in conhost.exe instance.

I would appreciate any kind of help regarding this issue.

Thanks,

-Luka

Edited by Guest