Multiple trailer support for trucks

alberto2345

Hi everyone,

I was thinking today that it would be cool to have a truck with more than 1 trailer. There is a truck in the game called a Road Train, and like I've seen in Australia, these kinds of trucks usually have more than 1 trailer.

I created a simple script that allows this!

Download link: https://community.multitheftauto.com/index.php?p= ... s&id=12529

Screenshot:

45e087f12a.jpg

How it works:

It basically created an invisible truck at the trailer, so when you back the trailer up into another trailer, they connect!

Hope you enjoy and maybe someone will find it useful.

Nice work, but just for curiosity, have you disabled collisions for the invisible truck? and did you managed to solve the desynchronize issue that occurs during stream in and out. You know the one where trailers upon stream in spawn at random locations around the truck. It get's even worse with multiple trailers if you know what I mean :)

The sync with the trucks is an MTA sync issue, so I'd say it still would appear with this as well which is a shame. But once it gets fixed, this script should be alot better and more useful.

And ye, the collisions with the invisible trucks are disabled, along with them being damage proof and locked.

I've made something like this a while back, allowing any amount of trailers, but there would always be a heavy desync after 5th/6th trailer even for local player. Not sure if anything has changed but it was pretty bad back then; it's probably why we don't see them in use on servers. All in all good job!

there is always a big problem in syncing the trailers. you can see it attached well in your truck and other players can see it flying and out of truck far away.

did anyone solve that problem till now?

The only solution I know is this:

addEventHandler("onClientElementStreamIn", getRootElement( ), 
    function ( ) 
        if not getElementData(source, "GTWvehicles.isTrailerTowingVehile") then return end 
        local trailer = getElementData(source, "GTWvehicles.attachedTrailer") 
        attachTrailerToVehicle(source, trailer) 
    end 
); 
addEventHandler( "onClientElementStreamOut", getRootElement( ), 
    function ( ) 
            if getElementData(source, "GTWvehicles.isTrailerTowingVehile") then 
                    local trailer = getElementData(source, "GTWvehicles.attachedTrailer") 
                    if isElementStreamedIn(source) and isElementStreamedIn(trailer) then 
                            detachTrailerFromVehicle(source, trailer) 
                    end 
            elseif getElementData(source, "GTWvehicles.isTrailer") then 
                    local tower = getElementData(source, "GTWvehicles.towingVehicle") 
                    if isElementStreamedIn(tower) and isElementStreamedIn(source) then 
                            detachTrailerFromVehicle(tower, source) 
                    end 
            end 
    end 
); 

From GTW-RPG, the truck knows it's trailer and the trailer knows it's truck. That's what's stored as element data but the whole resource is a big mess and this is the important part. So the problem appears to be when the vehicles is streaming out as it doesn't happen the same time, not even when attached and that's why some players sees it as attached and others don't. In theory if you detach them client side when streaming out and attach them when streaming in it should provide perfect sync. Not sure if it works tho.

• 2 weeks later...

Something that worked for when I was working on a train script, is to set it so when someone enters the truck it sets the elements streamer to the driver of the truck and only the driver of the truck. This prevents the trailers from destreaming and breaking, keeps all the trailers on the same streamer. Forgot the exact function but you can find it on the wiki easily. Shouldn't cause any extra lag unless you have 50+ simis, which you probably wont.

Something that worked for when I was working on a train script, is to set it so when someone enters the truck it sets the elements streamer to the driver of the truck and only the driver of the truck. This prevents the trailers from destreaming and breaking, keeps all the trailers on the same streamer. Forgot the exact function but you can find it on the wiki easily. Shouldn't cause any extra lag unless you have 50+ simis, which you probably wont.

You mean setElementSyncer?