[HELP]Top Speed

tomaker

Hello guys.How to get the vehicle top speed ? I want to ask , i know about handling and how to set it,get it , but i try maxVelocity and it says that maxVelocity is 160 but car goes over 130 km/h .Do you have any good math formula or something how to get real max speed.I read about that GTA:SA Engine is bad and because i can't get the max speed of the vehicle yeah i know that in the hightway the car goes over 140 and near some gang streets same car max Speed is 110 .But is there any way to get it ? :idea:

*edited by mod because this topic became a sort of knownledge-base*

The max volatility out puts in km/h. In your case, it's set to 160 is what it's limited to. In certain conditions yes you can get it up to 160 so 160 is it's max speed. There's however a difference between technical and theoretical limits/end results, due to several handling parameters and factors interacting with eachother.

If the vehicles actually reaches the theoretical topspeed (in your case 160km/h) depends on several other factors, like bad tires would affect a real car that was designed to be fast. If your handling grip ('traction' and 'traction loss') is low, you may not achieve the maxvelocity topspeed.

Explanation of other parameters that interact:

- Drag multiplier is the biggest bottleneck. If it's zero, a car could theoretically reach 2000 kph or more, if other factors allow for it. Try putting it to 0 and edit other parameters accordingly if the performance becomes overkill instantly.

- Acceleration affects topspeed, eventhough it realisticly shouldn't, you can thank GTA's engine for this. If topspeed is bad, you could raise acceleration to more extreme values, and then limit the end result (which is too fast) with Engine inertia and others like lower traction, so the acceleration curve (absolute accel speed) is fixed while its value will allow for higher topspeeds.

- Similarly to the above, "Steering lock" also caps topspeed. A lower steering lock will allow for higher topspeeds reachable, but too low or high and you can barely steer the vehicle or the visual wheel angles may glitch out.

- If inertia is too high, at a point it won't even properly limit the acceleration curve, but also the maximum top speed. A negative inertia is also a bad idea. It's value should ideally be between 1 and 10. (1 for high performance vehicles, where other parameters are also tuned for speed)

Conclusion: if you edit just a bunch of random values that to the eye look like they should raise vehicle speed, you will probably not achieve speeds matching to what the values look like, because of bottlenecks that you will also need to edit before unleashing the true power of what you initially (mainly) changed.

Practical example: you spawn a vehicle, and edit only Max velocity (topspeed) and nothing really changes. Or, you edit Max velocity and also Acceleration, your vehicle will just slip out easier and/or nothing changes to it's speeds or topspeed.

Now, if you also (besides max velocity/topspeed and acceleration) change: Drag multiplier, to 0, and Traction to 0.9, and Traction Loss to 1.1, while Max velocity is 2000 and Acceleration is 40, then you will probably reach about 1100 mp/h, depending on the vehicle you're changing default handling of (its predefined other values). This shows GTA SA is capable of driving with such speeds. You can then proceed to edit several other factors to cap the too extreme end result down to something more realistic, or just use this example as your test case to learn how handling values interact with eachother.

Hello guys.How to get the vehicle top speed ? I want to ask , i know about handling and how to set it,get it , but i try maxVelocity and it says that maxVelocity is 160 but car goes over 130 km/h .Do you have any good math formula or something how to get real max speed.I read about that GTA:SA Engine is bad and because i can't get the max speed of the vehicle yeah i know that in the hightway the car goes over 140 and near some gang streets same car max Speed is 110 .But is there any way to get it ? :idea:

use

getVehicleHandling() 

The max speed is also depending on the road

• Moderators

When you set the maxVelocity it doesn't mean it will actually reach it.

That has to do with the acceleration, wheel grip and probably the amount of weight too.

The property maxVelocity is for downgrading your vehicle speed. A kind of limiter.