Why not Invision power board?

1: overall phpbb is better than invision

2: it's easier to use for people that register (especially for the ones that have never bene on a forum before)

3: about the speed, it probably depends on the country your from, gtaforums isn't that fast for me

These boards may be messed up sometimes and admittingly they are somewhat right now, but slowness is usually just due to the server, but we have had bugs causing huge problems, so one might still be affecting the speed now.

However, for me, its working fast enough.

Admittedly PHPBB is currently behind the competition in terms of features, but that's because their 2.2 release was delayed to a 2005 release.

Sometimes it takes ages to post a topic but that doesn't happen very often. When they modded the forum to add the spam section as a subsection of General (not possible in PHPBB 2.0.x by default but a feature built into 2.2), I did notice a lot of lag in that particular section but this appears to have been fixed now. The General section is still slightly slower than the other sections but not significantly.

• MTA Team

The irradic opening of posts is related to avatars. We used a mod to resize remote avatars. The problem was that a page would only load after the avatars were resized. So when an avatar was on slow hosting or did no longer excist you had to wait a long time for a thread to load.

I Switched a few sites from phpbb to Ibp and never looked back. The Sub-Forum ability and user management won me over. Also, since the whole wave of phpbb exploitation that went down a few weeks ago, that was another reason to stick with what I have as Ipb Boards :)

And Yes, the new Pay to use, does Suck.

I was visiting the forum a few days ago and it was slow because a lot of users were visiting it and there were a lot of new topics made since the last time i visited so it was just loading everything and that takes tame and yes the invsion power board is less user friendly but i like it its fast and easy to install but phpbb is easier to edit i think. But i think the forums get slow by a lot of post a forum loads fast if there are less posts a forum of 400 posts loads slower then a forum with 200 posts i noticed so it just depends on it i think :P

As i said before. It has nothing to do with the board and everything with the server it runs on. You can never make a board go fast on a server that is under heavy load.

Also like that gtaforums example, sometimes it just depends on where you live and if your connection is coming through easily.

• 2 weeks later...
Invisionboard used to be free. Why not vBulletin insted of Invisionboard? :wink:

IPB has had about one security patch to it's core files since 2.0.3 came out. Once vBulletin 3.0.3 came out, there was security hole. That made 3.0.4. Then there was another. And then another. This makes vBulletin 3.0.6, while IPB is at 2.0.3 and still better.

I bought IPB for my website, and I really prefer it over vBulletin. It works, it's faster than anything, and it handles a lot of things.

(Yes, I know this topic is kinda old, but I had to make my point.)

So do I Opium...

I personally like vBulletin's layout more than IPB, vB may need more updates, but I personally think its worth it, (and the $160). IPB is almost as good feature-wise, and it isn't as much price wise, but still Invisionboard has alot of features, sometimes overwhelming if you don't know what you are doing.

I still think that mta should use IPB

because

- it loads faster

- its user friendly (*though phpbb is more*)

maybe there is more but the main thing is that the boards of ipb loads a lot faster and everytime i visit here or at gtaforums.com IPB of gtaforums.com is always faster even if i load them at the sime time

but it will take up a lot to change it after such a long time so just let it this way i think now :roll:

I still think that mta should use IPB

because

- it loads faster

- its user friendly (*though phpbb is more*)

maybe there is more but the main thing is that the boards of ipb loads a lot faster and everytime i visit here or at gtaforums.com IPB of gtaforums.com is always faster even if i load them at the sime time

but it will take up a lot to change it after such a long time so just let it this way i think now :roll:

Speed is also dependant on the server and the country it is located in.

The only problem with PHPBB at the moment is that it's in dire need of an update and PHPBB 3.0 should be released pretty soon.