How do i run a PUBLIC server when using a ROUTER?

Well the server will have a part of the settings for Port Forwarding. In my router it was very hard to find.

Once you find the section, you'll have to specify the port numbers you want to be forwarded (this will be the ports used by the MTA server like 2003 for client, 4000 for admin etc) and the internal ip to send packets to (something like 192.168.1.2).

Okay, heres what ive done, and the problems i've had.

I opened up port 2003 for both TCP and UDP connection. The packets are supposed to be forwarded to my PC on the LAN, (internal IP 192.168.1.16).

In MTASERVER.CONF, my gameIP address is the external IP, as is the AdminIP.

When trying to connect to my Internet IP, i keep getting the error :

"Disconnected: Connection timed out. (Delay = 5 sec)". The server displays "QUIT: 'TEST', PlayerID = 0 . . . quit due to timeout."

However, when i connect through LAN, i can connect straight away.

:( I'm stumped :(

my bad. if i were you, id plug the modem and the router directly into the server computer, then bridge the 2 connections and enable ICS. this way you dont have to worry about port forwarding on the server computer and you can still get broadband on the other computers. only downside is you have to leave the server computer always on or you wont get broadband on the other PCs

that shouldnt be neccesary jani.

vinny, comment out the gameip llines, those are not neccesary unless you have 2 network cards. (just like blokker said)

also, aside from the router, check to see if you have other firewalls (windows firewall, norton security) and when trying to connect to your own server, type "localhost" in the ip bar, not either ip addresses.

If others still cant connect to you, call your isp and ask them if they are blocking the traffic on port 2003, or you can try another port.

FANTASTIC! ! ! ! W0o0o0otage i got the server working, thanks to everyone!

Sadly, however, thats only problem 1 solved.

Problem 2 is getting it onto ASE. Im kinda getting the flow of things, so heres this ; the MTASERVER.CONF says ASE will use port +123, so should i open up port 2126 for a UDP/TCP connection?

Well its odd, the server doesn't register on my ASE, but others can stoll see it O_o

Anyways, that's problem 2 out of the way. Next --> Problem 3 : enabling mIRC.

How do i use the MTAMA addon? How do i get the mIRC scripts workin with the server? I have the latest version of mIRC, fully registered and everything.

Once again, thanks for all help, its greatly appreciated :D

go download mtama, it has a well written manual that comes with it. also run a forum search, there are lots of existing mtama help threads in the forum that covers almost all problems that may arise. overall its not complicated if you just do some reading before asking for help.