Name register system to defeat dynamic IPs (Ban immunity)

Ransom

If there was some sort of system where you had to regsiter, which would be simply selecting a username and a password, but it took a week to activate, it would greatly reduce the dynamic IP cheaters. Especially if they know the risk of getting banned from their favorite server.

Of course if they were banned they could still go to other servers, but they couldn't play the "haha I'm invincible cause I'm back" joke on a server because they couldn't use that banned name. If they want back in they will have to wait at least a week.

The servers would have to have some kind of a connection to a master server or have an update every now and then so the server has a log of usable nicknames, and the people would have a way so that they can only login to the names they made (perhaps the mta client connected to that master server). Then of course when the server bans them that name would be erased from the list or something (making it easy to take bans off too).

It would also be nice if there was a reasonable way to know if someone has registered a name before, that at least a majority of people couldn't cheat. Then they would have to wait longer periods of time to get a new name.

I dunno, just an idea I had after an annoying dynamic IP cheater kept coming back into the Party server.

Edited by Guest

Well if we had a vote right now, I think everyone would agree less cheaters is worth a week.

Perhaps it could be simply 24 hours at first, that would keep a dynamic IP cheater away at least for the day, then it could be increased as I said by somehow tracking if they have made an account before. If they cheat around it, they still have to deal with a 24 hour ban.

It could even be an optional thing. So some people that wanna play NOW will get to play. But they wont be able to get in the registered name requiring servers.

then again, you could bypass the whole feckin system by making MTA read something that NEVER changes, other than a static IP, such as the OS licence key, because if that was banned, the person would need to do a different install of the OS which would greatly put them off cheating.

There is a great deal of "cheaters" that are just trying to make their game funner. Blue will allow these "cheaters" to do what they've always wanted without violating the EULA, thus giving them a more mature title.

But the n00b cheaters will pile in and try their trainers with MTA, no doubt about it. Wich is why I agree with this idea. :lol:

But one question: How will the client validate the user? Through the http://www.mtavc.com server? What if the server is down? That makes the whole game unplayable. No server has 100% uptime, its always a 99.9999.

I suppose they could have the user database hosted on more than one server incase one fails.

There is a great deal of "cheaters" that are just trying to make their game funner. Blue will allow these "cheaters" to do what they've always wanted without violating the EULA, thus giving them a more mature title.

But the n00b cheaters will pile in and try their trainers with MTA, no doubt about it. Wich is why I agree with this idea. :lol:

But one question: How will the client validate the user? Through the http://www.mtavc.com server? What if the server is down? That makes the whole game unplayable. No server has 100% uptime, its always a 99.9999.

I suppose they could have the user database hosted on more than one server incase one fails.

Cheaters do tend to say "we just want to use X mod, we only do it on our own servers!", so I would supose that blue would prevent this to an extent, though I expect some of them are lying about this, or will find they prefered the "thrill" of pissing people off.

You're right about the last point too. We've always tried to make MTA so that it can still be played "when we've gone" or when we stop supporting it. This has been quite hard, but its somthing that is quite important I think...

Surely the name registry system could be developed as an extension of the existing script systems that exist for registering names?

When someone joins it either says "unregistered name" (and kicks them) or asks for a password (and gives them 10 seconds to enter it, or whatever). Passwords could be given out as suggested, by delaying. Time is money, and as we're not charging money, time will have to do. I supose the system could be over-ridden manually by some admins who could check if users were "valid" (email address perhaps?) and activate it straight away for them. As MTA is currently quite "nucleated" this probably wouldn't be too much of an issue if a few (good) servers implemented a system like this, as all the regular (and good) players would register and they'd get a good game there... Worth an experiment I reckon. :)

eAi

In my experience about 90% of the people with illegal versions of windows xp (and theres a lot of them) have the same key, so that won't work...

eAi

GUID? or a serial key for MTA itself would probably work better...

but, you would be able to monitor accounts....for instance:

Account name: OpiuM

Serial#: 17384929-3454323-2345

IPs used by this account:

xxx.xxx.xxx.xx

xxx.xxx.xxx.xx

xxx.xxx.xxx.xx

Windows Key: (dont know the format of letters + numbers, just here is were a windows key would go lol)

and finally

GUID: (blah blah)

so that you can run a full check on the account if it is being a nucence.

full cheat protection.

(also a client side screenshot > send to admin like pb isnt a bad idea, but then...addon)

Well I'm surprised to see so many agrees... I thought the idea would get shot down by everybody (esepcially like eAi or another team member... maybe not yet).

you could also try banning the MAC address of the modem or router???

would that work isnt that a permanent address!! (maybe even MIRC could find that out so aeron could use a new identifier ;) )

I forgot, but yes, I think a combination of banning things would help. For instance, MAC address & name & ip & registered name. That would be quite a pain for a cheater to figure out how to change or just to change all that stuff.

If MTA Team couldn't deal with taking care of a master server, I'm sure this idea could be transformed so that each server keeps the login info, the big downside would be registering for every server that uses the system. Also server owners would have losta passwords unless you mix them and encrypt them or whatever, I'm not educated about that stuff so I dunno.

MAC address & name & ip & registered name

Are you talking about banned from all MTA Servers, or just banned from one? To be banned from all would require a repetitive tendancy to break the rules, you would think. But yes, to change all that could be switching computers and ISP's. Wich I don't think any of us here are rich enough to do.

MAC address & name & ip & registered name

Are you talking about banned from all MTA Servers, or just banned from one? To be banned from all would require a repetitive tendancy to break the rules, you would think. But yes, to change all that could be switching computers and ISP's. Wich I don't think any of us here are rich enough to do.

Well people could still do it but its the hassle of doing all that just to get back in I'm counting on. It would be banning only from a server you are on, not master ban list. That would not be fair because some servers have bad or unjust admins.

But as eAi said, this perhaps still could be used if a good enough script was created. Maybe someone should try to get Aeron to make something of the sort. Else another great scripter. If it works out it would make one hell of a download for server owners, as long as it can work beside the scripts they currently use.

u mean every1 has their won unique serial for every user? i dont like the idea,,, and besides, i dont think we need to go into the master cd key n stuff ur talking about, unless ppl find a way around blue's cheat protection, sounds more of a last resort. there isnt much point in developing all this registereing just to stop cheating if you see where im coming from.

it is apparently gonna be v difficult to cheat in blue, so i say if ppl do find a way, then this IS an option, otherwise a waste of time. im worryed about this turning into steam...

Universial Nick-system

User registers with unused nickname + unused email-adress

Ppl get the passwords thout there email

Creating new account with same email adres is prohipited

Nick-system gets in the mta-server and client (Securing password stealing & co)

good idea y/n?

(BTW: f*ck spelling)

Universial Nick-system

User registers with unused nickname + unused email-adress

Ppl get the passwords thout there email

Creating new account with same email adres is prohipited

Nick-system gets in the mta-server and client (Securing password stealing & co)

good idea y/n?

(BTW: f*ck spelling)

i have 3 gmail accounts, 5 hotmail, 2 sbcglobal, and 1 independant email adress, thats a horrible protection system.

try this:

for server bans, use the XP key, for absolute global bands, use a computer's GUID, based on the video card, for irony, of course.

EDIT: store banned users in a SQL database.

backed up every day, that seems the most secure.