MTA:mA:GRS Global Statistics

Oli

I have recently found a way of creating a global database of stats for all servers running MTA:mA:GRS. This will work by GRS connecting to a "GRS Server" and sending it packets of kills when they occur in real time.

This system will also allow GRS to call global stats of users and return them to any server, ie in the !stats script.

It will also allow a global stats website, with all players stats from all servers running GRS.

I have started work on this, working with [FMJ]DomSpy, and we have already obtained hosting for the server system and the website. Thanks to Simon from http://www.fr4g.co.uk for providing this hosting free of charge.

So, basically im asking whether anyone has a problem with this idea before i go ahead and make it. I will of course make it optional in GRS, but i do think that it will get a very nice overall way of players finding their stats easily while not in game, aswell as finding stats from other servers while in a server.

Anyone who has a problem with this then please post here stating your reasons. If not, ill continue work on this and it should be in the next release of GRS.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont understand why anyone would object. this script only gathers data if the player is logged into the script right?

I would hate for nick stealers to screw someones overall score. and if someone doesnt want their scores tallied, they could just not log in or log out after logging in.

yes all it would do it gather data on ppls kills (who killed who and weapon)

We are adding protection for ppl who try to abuse it. If ppl dont want their stats ruined.. they can simply register their name on the existing nickserv ;)

It would log all kills/deaths, not just those from people logged in... so i guess this would encourage more ppl to register their names

but are you going to add th eability to turn of stats logging per idividual? my concern is if someone is just messing around and dies on purpose for whatever reasons their score gets skewed.

wouldnt having it only record people who log in be more encouragement? :P

Currently the only other similar offering for MTA is CSports.net, but you have to pay for that. I think this is a great idea though. Csports' algorithm slowly moves each player further down the list if they haven't played for a long time. Will your algorithm do something similar?

I plan to have the site for this being quite interactive. You should be able to search for many things (player, server, weapon etc). IE you could search for a server and see who has the top kills. Or you could search for the most commonly used weapon.

In not sure how the front site will look like atm, but it should be fairly live, showing whos on each server using grs and the latest kills

yeah, he's got a dual p4 box all to himself (nearly) to play around on =)

It will esentially be a global statistics database for all the servers that run GRS, It wont be like game-monitor or csports.net , both those sites get their information from a simple query, and can only get at information such as kills, ping, players on each server.. this global db will be much more deep reaching, ideally having quite in depth detail about a players choice of weapon, kill statistics, choice of skin and so on...

Best of Luck, and once I Move, I'd be more then Happy to help Test out the Stats.

If the Tracking is similar to the Dusty MTA Stats, I could see that Database Eating alot of HD Space, @ a Fairly Rapid Rate. (Depending on the Update Intervals, Amount of Servers Tracked, Info Logged, Ect.)

at this point we are unsure of these kind of details. We are concentrating more on how we can protect peoples names and keep the netcode from being cracked easily. Once we have this all worked out we will move onto how the database is structured

At present we are thinking that the server will log all stats of unregistered players, then if a player registers with the stats system (/msg stats register) then they will have a fresh sheet to start from and no one will able to alter their stats without logging in without their pass, which will be stored on the grs database. This will allow people to search for both registered players and unregistered ones.. and will allow players to register on site.

I've always missed the option of some uber master server with stats.

will there be like overall stats for everyone to view? overall best ratio maybe :)

what if the server admins alter their stats? (lame) that would be registred too won't it? O_o

anyway I hope you pull it off Oli, good thing the hosting ain't no problem.

release dates? xD

I was thinking if it is possible to do a "mini network" for that stats.

I mean... giving an exemple.

There's a server named X. And there's 3 admins for that server that runs mtama grs in turns; sometimes admin Y is running mtamaGRS, then admin Z and then admin W.

Is it possible that those 3 admins send stats to a server gathering informations for each player?

Sorry if it is not well explained..

nah I get what you mean, there was this other guy that requested a possiblity to have a shared nickserv for all the admins, so that they wouldn't need to send it over msn or something. Anyway that would mean quite a lot of traffic/bandwith but apparently there were some ways around that.

edit: found the thread: http://forum.mtavc.com/viewtopic.php?t=9941

apparently it didn't get added :P

and that traffic is like ouch!

basically we arnt going to let more than 1 grs send stats from the same server at one time. They will be in communication with each other via the server, so this is easy.

Basically, you load ure GRS. It connects to the grs server and the grs server says "ok name, you have connected" and pings start going back and forth. Then the person connects to an MTA server. GRS says to the grs server "im connecting to this mta server" and the grs server will check if anyone using grs is already connected to it. If they arnt then itll say "ok u can send me stats for this mta server now", and stats will be accepted. If someone is already using grs on that mta server, then the grs server will say "sorry someone is using grs on this server, your stats will not be logged". Then when the person already connected disconnects from the mta server, the grs server will say "this person has disconnected, you can now send me stats" and the second grs (1st in the waiting list) will be able to send stats.

Hope that helps clear this up for u

will there be a verification or summin like u have to register your server? what if u get ppl with grs hosting they're own server and organising kills?

afaik they havent really decided on how to organise it, they could perhaps ban mtama client ip's who abuse the system.

well... as i said.. there will be registered players and unregistered players with stats. If you want your name protected then register it. If people abuse the system ill ban their use of GRS (I can already do this)

yeah, he's got a dual p4 box all to himself (nearly) to play around on =)

bitch.

well... as i said.. there will be registered players and unregistered players with stats. If you want your name protected then register it. If people abuse the system ill ban their use of GRS (I can already do this)

i know ;)

Ok, i gotta it.

And can anyone create his grs server?

So he can make stats just for his server and not "mta global".

Unix server will be great.

GRS makes local stats any way. I think you'll have to use a separate command to see your global stats - something like !globalstats. So you'll still have the stats available for your server.

As Oli said, the server will not be released. It's programmed in Java so it would run on any computer with a fairly recent Java Virtual Machine, including Unix. In fact, I think it will be running on a Linux system. The fact that it's Java would also make it fairly easy to reverse engineer, which is another reason not to release it.