Help..Slowdowns!

Hey all. :)

Recently I've been noticing huge slowdowns on MTA and I'm really starting to get quite annoyed with it. The problem is every time the server becomes quite packed, say 13 or more people in game playing, my game just runs so slow. FPS drops dramatically, and it's just so damn slow. I know it can't be lag, because I'm on a 512K connection over here in Australia, playing on the Aussie server, with a ping of around 45. I have been thinking it could be my video card, which is only a GeForce 4 MX 420, (yes i know it's a terrible card), but after asking people in the server I play with, some have worse cards than mine and their game runs fine even if the server is full. I've also tried older Nvidia drivers (40's, 50's), but nothing seems to work. I've tried mucking around with the frame limiter, but it still slows down if it's on or off. But the thing is it seems more like it's having trouble with all of the people on the server or something, but the thing is, nobody I've asked on the server has the same problem. I've tried the search option for the forums, (downloaded coolbits while I was at it ;) ) but no solutions that worked. Can somebody please help me out? Oh and I've also tried running it in single player, and it runs as smooth as ever. I don't know what is causing the slowdowns!

I have a Intel Pentium 4 2.2Ghz

768mb DDR RAM

Geforce 4 MX 420

SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio

Thanks in advance.

I've noticed huge sudden slowdowns in GTA III recently, drops down to about 5 fps for 10-20 secs.

My gfx card is a nVidia FX 5600, 256 mb RAM. Putting forth the menu removes the lag instantly, maybe there's something with nVidia's new beta driver that I'm using, never had this problem before.

I'm also getting this 'error reading GTA III DVD' < let there be said, I use a no-cd :P

anyway can't be bothered to reinstall MTA and GTA right now but that will probably sort out some of the issues.

Thanks for the reply guys. Quiky, I'm running the game in 1024 by 768, 32 bit colour. I've tried lowering it down to 16 bit, but still no difference. Funny you mention the anti-aliasing settings too, because I was going through the Nvidia control panel a while ago, and noticed it is set to "Application controlled". It's just when there's about more than say 12 or 13 people in the server/game, it runs quite choppy, and it shouldn't. Oh and also I forgot to mention that I did try to reinstall MTA and Vice City, still no go..In fact, I only formatted about a month or two ago so I'm just confused as to why it runs like this.

Ok Mike I even tried your suggestion, and it is a little faster, but it still is quite choppy. It's fine on both resolutions if there's only a few people in the server, but once about 12 or more have entered, the framerate drops quite a bit. Still can't figure it out. Maybe my video card has had it, because even though it is an older card, it should be able to run mta fine, even if there's quite a few people in a server.