map off

the best form of radar would be where the blips show up on the edge of the map, but not inside. that way you can other peoples general area, but once you get close you have to keep you eyes peeled (btw, the fact that the directx health bars can be blocked by buildings and such, beutiful!!!

anyone care to elaborate on how this game mode would work? it sounds pretty cool.. lurking around in the fog, no radar, but what will the gameplay be like?

also, i think the best solution for a 'radar' would be some sort of meter that changes as you get closer to someone.

it would be awesome if someone could turn this into Hitman online :lol: (only i dont see how silent, stealthy kills would be possible).

question for the devs; if it is possible to reduce the area of the map to a small district (the size of several blocks), would it be possible to totally block off the rest of the map and stop it from rendering/loading in order to greatly reduce lag and increase smoothness? this would be useful not only for this game mode, but others, perhaps such as turfwars where all of the action takes place in one concentrated area of the map.

question for the devs; if it is possible to reduce the area of the map to a small district (the size of several blocks)
Yes, we could add this option, I'll put it in now. There are issues with zooming out the map the other way (i.e. seeing a larger area), as the game only loads the map on demand (in pieces).
would it be possible to totally block off the rest of the map and stop it from rendering/loading in order to greatly reduce lag and increase smoothness? this would be useful not only for this game mode, but others, perhaps such as turfwars where all of the action takes place in one concentrated area of the map.
Lag isn't affected by the ammount of map loaded, or not in any significant way. I supose it'd be possible for a mod to change the gta_vc.dat so that only certain sections are loaded. We will probably allow the world limits to be changed on-the-fly which should provide some interesting game modes.

eAi

that effect could be reached by making an invisable wall item with a col file and strategically placing them around a given area. gta3 mta already has a nifty way of enforcing boundaries, maybe that would be enough

/me dreams of a rocket arena style mod for mta

question for the devs; if it is possible to reduce the area of the map to a small district (the size of several blocks)
Yes, we could add this option, I'll put it in now. There are issues with zooming out the map the other way (i.e. seeing a larger area), as the game only loads the map on demand (in pieces).
great. will it be up to the host which section it is that is open or does the mod that is used control it?
would it be possible to totally block off the rest of the map and stop it from rendering/loading in order to greatly reduce lag and increase smoothness? this would be useful not only for this game mode, but others, perhaps such as turfwars where all of the action takes place in one concentrated area of the map.
Lag isn't affected by the ammount of map loaded, or not in any significant way. I supose it'd be possible for a mod to change the gta_vc.dat so that only certain sections are loaded. We will probably allow the world limits to be changed on-the-fly which should provide some interesting game modes.

oh, i always thought that the map had a huge effect on bandwith, but i guess i was wrong (after all, the server doesnt care whether it updates the positions of players on opposite sides of the map, or the positions of players concentrated in a smaller area).

the "world limits changing on-the-fly" would be an awesome feature :D. it can make for some VERY dynamic game modes (ie, one section of the map is opened during the game due to event A, another is closed due to event B).

great. will it be up to the host which section it is that is open or does the mod that is used control it?

oh, i always thought that the map had a huge effect on bandwith, but i guess i was wrong (after all, the server doesnt care whether it updates the positions of players on opposite sides of the map, or the positions of players concentrated in a smaller area).

not on the bw but a real poor cpu could lag if a mod had very detailed models and big, detailed textures

in the end you could also place some kind of barrier model where you want it to cut the map off

not on the bw but a real poor cpu could lag if a mod had very detailed models and big, detailed textures
yes but the amount of map space that is "open" in the game would not cause anyones PC to slow down if its too large, or speed up if its small, since only the immidiate surrounding area of the map around the player is rendered (at least thats how i understand it). btw, if what i just said is true, whats the problem with having all 3 maps open at the same time in GTA3?
in the end you could also place some kind of barrier model where you want it to cut the map off
i wonder how they will do it... put a barrier or just have the unused areas not render at all.

the problem with GTA3 wasn't the map size... it was the loading between map changes.., it caused issues when changing islands in a car.. we found a method to get it to work (which we used for the dodos), but on teh whole its not a very sound system, and not necessary for the type of gameplay people expect from the GTA3 version of MTA

the problem with GTA3 wasn't the map size... it was the loading between map changes.., it caused issues when changing islands in a car.. we found a method to get it to work (which we used for the dodos), but on teh whole its not a very sound system, and not necessary for the type of gameplay people expect from the GTA3 version of MTA
thanks for the clarification.

hopefully it will work correctly in BLUE :?:

• 3 weeks later...

couldnt you just make a program like....

if a user has his radar on, right?

and then then program edits a mem addy to turn it off.

and if it is on, turns it off again...

though, it would be kind of a trainer...i guess.