The whole pause situation..

How about if the player pauses or alt+tabs the server temporarily "takes over". What this means, is that the server should take control of the paused players health, and if he is shot at or killed, it should lower his health points or kill him respectively. The server should only be temporarly responsible for the players health points and nothing more - the player will remain in his spot. When the paused player returns, his health points should be updated and he should possibly be killed, if someone has killed him while he was away.

Would that work?

I'd also like to know if this would work or not, since IMO this is the best way of doing things mentioned. If VC'd have to be loaded on the server in order for it to work well, it wouldn't matter. I'd be fine with it if there was some obstacle in the way of my bullet and it'd still hit the alt tabbing player. :P

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe my word choice wasn't the best possible, i meant that vc wouldn't have to be loaded. I'd be totally fine if the server just calculated if bullets hit the escing player without noticing any possible obstacle (wall or light pole or something like that) on the way of the bullet.

• 5 weeks later...

It's been a while for me. Great to see the changes, ie. BLUE. I look forward to the release as i've seen great improvements from the MTA team. (I've been watching mta from v1, and usually stop in to see the new versions.(Great work MTA))

I would like to point out that mta is JUST a game! It seems near impossible to allow pausing w/o abuse. Most people are fine with not being able to pause and can live with dying if something comes up( at least my experince in multiplayer games). But i know there are some di-hard MTA fans who would and should be able to find a safe place if they absolutely have to peel themselves away from there pc for a min. Not to mention think about it this way, that one death doesn't mean much if for the fact that you are pwning ppl, then you should actually lose more points via the time you are away from your pc, so pausing isn't helping your score.

hmm, this has already been discussed. Your a little late :lol:

but anyway, you had a few nice points, except the "one death doesn't mean much" part. that all depends entirely on the game mode. what if it was 15 deaths and your team loses, and you have 1 life left?

thats what that screen shows you!!!

in blue, according to that pic, when you pause the game stays running and you can still get attacked. this means that pausing is not a way of avoiding being attacked. no other online games give you the ability to pause in the middle of the game. if you dont want to be attacked and you have to go to the bathroom, dont respawn.

we don't know yet if there is a pause indicator in blue, but they did say that the directx features can be customized for a mod.

Yea, i only believe admins can pause. You know, like if they gotta ban cheaters or something.

i have an idea about the whole pausing situation. in the MTA Blue client when somebody pauses the game it kills the person so they arent on the map so we wont have these people just messing about. Or if that is not possible whenever someone presses the pause button you should just make them leave the game if you cant autokill them on pressing the ESC key,

i have an idea about the whole pausing situation. in the MTA Blue client when somebody pauses the game it kills the person so they arent on the map so we wont have these people just messing about. Or if that is not possible whenever someone presses the pause button you should just make them leave the game if you cant autokill them on pressing the ESC key,
Have you read this thread?

I just said that further above

And it was said about 3 times previously on the other pages.

And it was said about 3 times previously on the other pages.

And on the MTA Blue page it shows a pause screen where the player is still in the game :lol:

this thread is almost lock worthy, about 2 or 3 devs said that pausing shouldnt be allowed (or take damage when paused) and the majority agreed, yet it still gets bumped every now and then ;S

Maybe they're fasinated by the topic of pausing for some reason.

this thread is almost lock worthy, about 2 or 3 devs said that pausing shouldnt be allowed (or take damage when paused) and the majority agreed, yet it still gets bumped every now and then ;S

Maybe they're fasinated by the topic of pausing for some reason.

You might say obsessed.

I think it's because people have experienced the current method and found the pausing to be annoying (of other people that is - I'm sure they find their own pausing much less annoying :lol:).

• 3 months later...

what about delaying the pause...

a typical pauser pauses just before he get's killed or when he's scared of getting killed

(let's say a normall kill takes +-10secs)...

so what if he presses escape and 10secs after he did this the game pauses...

he would get killed anyway, so why pause... not?

and people who just want to pause because they want to go to the bathroom etc...

they can go to another place with no dm'ers around and pause, wait for 10secs and then they can leave the pc...

just sugesting... i think it would help the pausing issue...

(sorry if my english is not so good)

greetz

what about delaying the pause...

a typical pauser pauses just before he get's killed or when he's scared of getting killed

(let's say a normall kill takes +-10secs)...

so what if he presses escape and 10secs after he did this the game pauses...

he would get killed anyway, so why pause... not?

and people who just want to pause because they want to go to the bathroom etc...

they can go to another place with no dm'ers around and pause, wait for 10secs and then they can leave the pc...

just sugesting... i think it would help the pausing issue...

(sorry if my english is not so good)

greetz

ive never heard that before, maybe the mta team could disable the esc button and reenable it after ten seconds of the first push.

good idea

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I read a few pages, i got this idea - 3P detection - Player Proximity Pause detection. Basically when you pause, it checks how close you are to other players, if you are in shooting distance, you get kicked/warned/whatever. If you had a way of detecting pauses through the client, it would already be possible through mIRC scripts - i've seen the proximity scripts (distance between players), and kicking - duh, and detection of whether a player is shooting. Put em together, and, you have an effective anti-pause mechanism.