The whole pause situation..

When a player pauses, could you somehow let the other players know he is paused? Like.. say I'm paused... other people see my name as red instead of white. Or maybe small italicized PAUSED may be above my name. Plus you could temporary un-sync the paused people, why continue to send all that packet blog if he's not even at the computer. Saves bandwith and complainers, 2 birds in one stone.. lol however it goes. :lol:

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.multitheftauto.com/img/blue_micro_pause_large.jpg

:roll:

i would like if nobody was able to pause the game, just keep gameplay running like in any other online game

what was the point in that pause screen you showed me? ive only seen it a billion times.

they may have created a custom pause screen, but this still doesnt exactly answer my post.. will OTHER PEOPLE be able to somehow notice that you are paused..

or that pause screen could possibly not be a pause screen at all. maybe the game is still active, kinda like how useless pausing is in Halo :)

i personally wouldnt like the pause system to make gameplay still active. if your afk for 5 minutes you notice that youve been killed 20 times.. its just not fair, there is a pause option for a reason.

if things get too drastic.. you could even disconnect them from the server if they are paused for more then 10 minutes?

thats what that screen shows you!!!

in blue, according to that pic, when you pause the game stays running and you can still get attacked. this means that pausing is not a way of avoiding being attacked. no other online games give you the ability to pause in the middle of the game. if you dont want to be attacked and you have to go to the bathroom, dont respawn.

we don't know yet if there is a pause indicator in blue, but they did say that the directx features can be customized for a mod.

It won't be possible to directly pause the game in blue. We can prevent people from alt+tabbing, or enable the game to run in the background. The first is unpopular, and the 2nd makes the game run quite slowly 70% speed maybe, and really slows your computer down... We're not sure what we'll do...

eAi

not being to alt-tab could be a headache, but if it insures a fair game I wouldnt mind. perhaps i could suggest a "minimize" button in the blue menu screen, and disable the alt tab altogether? that way you maintain some control and still offer a way to access other running apps.(minimize button could = a /kill at the same time)

i think that the best solution would be to make it like in Americas Army:

you pause or minimize, and the game doesnt render for you. you see the menu screen, or whatever else when you're minimized. the game doesnt take up any extra resources because nothing is loading/rendering/updating.

other players, on the other hand, see you in your last known position, and have the ability to kill you.

so to sum it up it should be the exact same way as it is now, only players can kill you while you're paused just as if you were standing there doing nothing while unpaused.

is this possible or not? i would really hate the idea of not being able to minimize.

so if u pause u die :D

I like it : :P

nah, I don't like it,

I only use pause as I have to go to the toilet or something,

if you die it won't be fun. (and you'll get soaking wet)

Why don't you some kind of sign when the player is paused, just like star wars jedi Acadamy.

like some sort of glow or anything other as a sign,

or maybe (if it is possible) the surrender animation.

so if u pause u die :D

I like it : :P

nah, I don't like it,

I only use pause as I have to go to the toilet or something,

if you die it won't be fun.

is it more fun for you when you hunt someone thru the whole city and when hes down to 5 hm he pauses?

when I get blue and set up my server, this is how im going to do it (that is, if the devs dont come up with a better solution :lol: )

when you press PAUSE, it saves your current coordinates. it teleports you on top of the SpawnScreen building so no one sees you and no one can kill you.

then it takes you to a black screen that says "Press {ENTER} to return to your game"..

you press enter, it immediatly teleports you back to your saved coordinates.

flawless

omg why didnt i think of that.

someone is inches near death, they pause and teleport away.

hmmm... i guess there are a few solutions to that issue

1) Deduct 10 health for pausing (wich would get annoying)

2) Have a time limit in the pause menu before you are killed

3) Freeze the player for 5 seconds and then pause him, making him vulnerable long enough to be killed if he is in the middle of a fight near death.

I'd say option 3 with my pause mod idea is now flawless

:D

Or option four, make 'pausing' no different to standing still in the midle of the map with the vulnerability that comes with it.

You want to pause, dont play a multiplayer game. You want to urinate wait till you die or take the chance. Just like in every other multiplayer game.

client side deaths, so no thats not possible (unless blue changes that)

so in a client-side game, the only way the server can know what is happening to a player (his position, if he gets killed, etc), is for that player to send the server that information, which he cannot do if he's paused and doesnt get that data?

if that is the case, why cant other players see that he is dead, and give the information to the server?

im confused about how this works :?.

Or option four, make 'pausing' no different to standing still in the midle of the map with the vulnerability that comes with it.

You want to pause, dont play a multiplayer game. You want to urinate wait till you die or take the chance. Just like in every other multiplayer game.

yes... option 4 is what i suggested on page one, but sloth says its not possible?

if you are paused, the players see you in your last known position, and you are vulnerable to getting killed, just as if you were standing there unpaused. it is like this in other games.

hahahahaha

funny story, but actually no, that doesnt relate to my idea at all..

when the player pauses, he is teleported to the spawn roof (after freezing for 5 seconds VULNERABLE) i hope you know where that is, its basically where a crap load of actors are and where the sabre turbo is and where you get to choose your character. everything is unsynched up there.

when he unpauses, he is teleported back to his original location.

Edited by Guest

lol i made a huge typo

VULNERABLE is what i meant, sorry bout that..

the pausing for 5 seconds vulnerable simply gives people time to kill them, that is, if they are near death.

its not to avoid dangerous situations. and if some retard thinks it is, then let them watch theirselves die and being able to do nothing about it.

in fact, i could even make an addion to the script. in the 5 second wait that you are frozen in, if you die > crash your game

that'll teach you to escape death.. jk :)

Yep I would like to have pausing handled that way by default.

Why make it advanced with teleporting and such? If I'm going an errand or something I would either wait in the career select screen or type /quit.

It will finally be time for the pausers to get their punishment, no more pausers in MTA :P