MTA:DayZ 0.9.6a [OUT NOW] [OPEN SOURCE]

Lawliet

MTA DayZ 0.9.8a is now available for download! Check this link to download the gamemode: https://github.com/ciber96/mtadayz/releases

NEW REPOSITORY: https://github.com/ciber96/mtadayz

Hello, everyone.

Some of you might recognize me by my name here, but for those who don't: I used to be one of the administrators of VaveGames, L, and along with that, a developer of Marwin's gamemode, MTA DayZ.

FORUM: mta-dayz.org/forum

MTA DayZ 0.9.8a is available for download!

UPDATE ON THE WHOLE SITUATION:

I decided to continue development until October 2015. Until then, the gamemode will hopefully be as polished as I envision it. If not, others can and will "carry the torch".

Everything has been set up by me and I am basically ready to go at any time. Before that, though, I am going to "recruit" developers to work alongside me. The repository is located on BitBucket and is, for now, private. Once version 1.0.0 hits (we are at 0.8 right now, that's where we will start), the gamemode will be open source and everyone can help, create their own forks and branches and blahblahblah (I have no idea what I'm talking about, actually).

Anyway, developers. You want to be part of it? It's not as simple as you might think. There are a few restrictions and requirements to become one, which I will now list.

Forum Posts: >50

English: at least C1, can be B2 if last two points are convincing (refer to http://www.londonschool.com/level-scale/ to check your level)

Knowledge of Lua: Above Beginner (will be tested during application process)

Proof of Work: Required, must show a script you produced yourself (can be one you created from scratch)

Why I should be a developer: At least 2 paragraphs of why I should choose you

The reasons I've chosen such requirements are because I expect a certain maturity "emanating" from the applying developer. Age kind of speaks for itself. Forum posts signifies the sincerity with MTA (50 may seem a bit low, but I don't put that much weight into it anyway, it's just a general guideline). Your English must at least be Level 7 (C1 in CEF terms), however, it can be B2 (Level 6) if you have extensive knowledge of Lua, MTA and your proof of work is more than convincing. Refer to http://www.londonschool.com/level-scale/ to check what level your english is.

Knowledge of Lua does not only encompass Lua itself, it also includes knowledge of MTA's functions and event system and how to properly use them, while proof of work has you show your actual understanding of Lua and MTA. It doesn't have to be your best script, it can be something you made from scratch and has some actual use.

Send me a private message with your application. I'll try to answer as quickly as I can. If you have any questions, post them here.

OLD TEXT:

After Marwin left the MTA scene, I decided to pick up on where he left and continue development of the gamemode, up until a certain point. Since then, I kind of lost interest and motivation in pursuing further development, but that has changed (for now, at least). I am currently working on the last official MTA DayZ version that has been released prior to VaveGames' shutdown, and I'm quite confident you'd all like what I have added in so far. You can take a look at this topic of a server I was working on (which has sadly become defunct): viewtopic.php?f=115&t=74160

And for those who do not have the time to look, here's a short list:

- Overhauled Inventory System

- 13 new weapons (on top of the current ones, for a total of 32)

- Overhauled ammunitions system

- Ambience Music which changes according to time and location

Another feature I recently implemented is Crafting, which basically amounts to players being able to find blueprints of weapons and items, plus their respective components, and craft weapons for themselves instead of having to search for already available ones. I'm also working on expanding the group system, which is quite lacking in terms of content. Features will include ranks, permissions, a group vault where you can store items and the chance to build up a camp from scratch (means you can create buildings and place them on a piece of land you bought which, for instance, will produce various goods once you researched them).

I'm going to be honest here: I don't really like or trust the MTA community. It's not exactly a hostile environment, but it's rather difficult to reason with people here (that's actually the case in every community, but it's a tad bit more obvious here. Perhaps due to the language barrier one sometimes faces?) There is also the problem with decompiling scripts which have been - you figured it - compiled to prevent access to them. I can understand that you wish to see the code for yourself and make adjustments to them to make your server "more" unique (if you happen to be a server owner, that is), but this does by no means excuse decompiling a script without consent. Now one might wonder, "why do you even mention this?", and I'm happy to provide you with an answer: I would like to compile the script, at least for now. Yes, calm down first, and listen to what I have to say. This script will eventually be released uncompiled. But until that happens, I'd like to keep development within a small circle.

Obviously, this raises the question of whether or not you can be trusted. As mentioned above, I have a hard time trusting the community here, so there is no telling if someone would use that to his or her advantage and try gaining the script with the intent of releasing it to the public. All I can say is that I'm willing to take the risk...if you can convince me. Naturally, this leads to the main reason I am making such a post. Are people still interested in seeing the gamemode being developed further? Or would that all be in vain?

I'm interested in all opinions (as long as they are productive and contribute to the question at hand), whether it be from a server owner, a developer or your average player. Depending on the feedback I receive, I will make a decision.

Oh, and don't bother with telling me you'd like to help me. I appreciate the notion, but until I have been fully convinced to continue development of MTA DayZ, such statements are not going to help. All I want to know is whether there is any interest and why you'd like to see me carrying the torch (oh, and please be coherent. "Because it would be cool" will only serve to hurt your case).

Edited by Lawliet
  • Like 2

Well, as I have stated here viewtopic.php?f=108&t=87902 I'm looking forward to see MTA:SA DayZ port continue as it's a wonderful gamemode. Seen that there are more than one person that wants to help out, I think it would be nice to at least try to continue the gamemode development.

As always, I'm here waiting for someone to take the reins of the project and help out.

Well, as I have stated here viewtopic.php?f=108&t=87902 I'm looking forward to see MTA:SA DayZ port continue as it's a wonderful gamemode. Seen that there are more than one person that wants to help out, I think it would be nice to at least try to continue the gamemode development.

As always, I'm here waiting for someone to take the reins of the project and help out.

Yeah, I read that. I'd like to continue development, to be honest, but before I do that, I just need to know whether or not people are still interested (I'm not talking about development, I mean actual playing).

Before I forget it: There will be, of course, "official" servers too, meaning you can apply for your server to become officially affiliated with MTA DayZ development. In the beginning, this will only serve to show others that your server can be trusted and is worth playing on, but later, official servers will be the ones who receive updates 24 hours before they are released.

Well running a keyword search on "DayZ" in MTAs server explorer shows a lot a people playing DayZ, so I do think it is worth continuing development.

I see. Thanks for your opinion. So far, it's more or less a 2:0 score in terms of continuing development or not.

I would opt you to continue development as a lot of servers still run on DayZ :D

But would the server owners actually be interested in using a compiled version? I know that a lot of servers are running on a decompiled one, with their own settings and customizations. Using a compiled version would be like going a step back...that's the feeling I get. Not to mention that I don't see that many responses (mainly people reading it, without actually voicing their opinion). Still, thanks for stating what you think.

I would opt you to continue development as a lot of servers still run on DayZ :D

But would the server owners actually be interested in using a compiled version? I know that a lot of servers are running on a decompiled one, with their own settings and customizations. Using a compiled version would be like going a step back...that's the feeling I get. Not to mention that I don't see that many responses (mainly people reading it, without actually voicing their opinion). Still, thanks for stating what you think.

The problem is that exactly the people running on compiled version are having some very awful bugs . The uncompiled one's can though run smoothly so i opt you to continue development as it will help the guys using the compiled ones and you can do it on GitHib so that people can also help you in collaboration.

The problem is that exactly the people running on compiled version are having some very awful bugs . The uncompiled one's can though run smoothly so i opt you to continue development as it will help the guys using the compiled ones and you can do it on GitHib so that people can also help you in collaboration.

Yeah, I see what you mean. I'm not going to do that on GitHub yet,though (I have no idea how to set that up anyway).

So that means it's a 3:0 score.

Just for those who are interested, here's a few screenshots. I'll probably make and upload a video in the near future to showcase everything (like First Person Mode) that will with the new version if more people show interest.

The new inventory

Resolution: 1366x768

kucx94mo.png

Crafting in action

Item is being crafted...

ain2t2z6.png

Item has been crafted!

wethpqdr.png

Yeah, I see what you mean. I'm not going to do that on GitHub yet,though (I have no idea how to set that up anyway).

So that means it's a 3:0 score.

Just for those who are interested, here's a few screenshots. I'll probably make and upload a video in the near future to showcase everything (like First Person Mode) that will with the new version if more people show interest.

The new inventory

Resolution: 1366x768

kucx94mo.png

Crafting in action

Item is being crafted...

ain2t2z6.png

Item has been crafted!

wethpqdr.png

Cool work dude the gui's simply fantastic!

Cool work dude the gui's simply fantastic!

Thanks a lot. It has one particularly jarring bug (still don't know how to fix it because I can't pinpoint the source of said bug), but it shouldn't be much of a problem if people play it the right way.

By the way, I am close to changing my mind about the whole compiled issue. Maybe I'll really do it open source, via GitHub...I just have to figure out how to actually set it up.

Basically, if the score reaches at least 5 in favor of continuing development, I'll do it. If the score reaches 15:0, I'll make it open source (not immediately, of course, but it will happen sooner).

Github would be fantastic, but if you are planing on making in closed source at first, you have to pay. Maybe this is not a problem, but then again, you could use Bitbucket as it offers free private repos. If you need any help with setting it up, let me know.

Isn't the age limit too much. 50% of players in mta are below 18 (like me)

It's only to ensure mature players actually apply. If I lift the restriction, I'd probably get spammed with messages. Besides, if someone is, like, 17, and will turn 18 before October, and is proficient in the ways of Lua or MTA, I don't see a reason to not apply.

Isn't the age limit too much. 50% of players in mta are below 18 (like me)

It's only to ensure mature players actually apply. If I lift the restriction, I'd probably get spammed with messages. Besides, if someone is, like, 17, and will turn 18 before October, and is proficient in the ways of Lua or MTA, I don't see a reason to not apply.

I am 15 :P

Just a few notes about the upcoming update, version 0.8a.

Update 0.8 will mainly focus on releasing what I have scripted myself so far, but a few things .:CiBeR:. suggested will be added too. This includes

* Fixing item duping

* Adding a "backwards" compatibility script. With this, server owners hopefully won't have to replace the internal.db whenever a new version (or hotfix) gets released.

* Adding silenced weapons

* Crafting

* Part I of the group system overhaul

Notes:

"Adding silenced weapons" simply means that you can find silencers for various weapons, attach them a weapon of your choice, and - you guessed right - shoot without making noise. Should make things more interesting!

Crafting is, as the name might imply, simply the process of creating an useful object out of useless ones. It's a tiny bit buggy at the moment, but that should be fixed soon. Blueprints and parts can be found all over the world, with industrial locations offering a higher chance of finding something. Over time, more parts will be added, and will eventually see use in the next point, namely...

...the group system overhaul. Since the current one is rather lacking, I decided to almost rewrite it from scratch and add some more functions. Part I includes giving ranks to the members of your group, such as Officer, Soldier, Bandit, ... this doesn't serve any real purpose other than giving your group some order and incentive to work, but I've already implemented a permissions system of sorts. For instance, a Bandit has all permissions set to false, meaning he cannot do anything (all freshly joined members of your group start with Bandit). A Survivor has access to the group vault (where you can store and retrieve items for everyone), while a General can queue research projects etc.

In any case, we'll probably set up a web server and forum over the next days (weeks?), where we will offer the gamemode for download. Stay tuned, and check this topic often. Send me a private message if you have any questions...and yes, we are still "recruiting". If you want to be a developer, check the requirements in the original post, and if you qualify, send me your application! I'll reply fast, don't worry.

go ahead with your plan..

if i'm lucky enough to get some free time i'll probably give a hand... well, at least i fulfil minimum requirements :D

go for it

Thanks for your support, Renkon, I appreciate it. Just shoot me a private message once you are free.

In other - unrelated - news, I managed to fix the crafting issue, meaning players can now craft items. Only things that are left to do, in terms of crafting, is to add the blueprints and parts to the loot table and set up proper descriptions.

And yet another update I'd like to announce: a new group_system has been integrated, which allows you to...

...create your own ranks

...edit permissions for each rank

...warn members of your group if they have done anything wrong

...create and edit a "Message of the Day"

Features such as the group vault and managing your own piece of land will be implemented in a later version (possibly around version 1.0.0b). A release date is not in sight, unfortunantly, as we'd like to fix a few things first. This includes

* driving over zombies

* a backwards compatibility script so server owners don't have to replace the internal.db everytime a new update is released

Don't worry, 0.8a is well on its way, and it's going to be awesome!

Great news: Version 0.8a is basically done and we expect release to be slated for 06/20/15 (20th of June)! If all goes as we expect, we'll have a web server + forum up and running, and will offer the gamemode for download there. This also means you can report bugs and make suggestions there. That's also where the uncompiled version will be released.

The URL will be given out once everything is ready. Again, 0.8a will be released on the 20th of June!