GET FIREFOX

• MTA Team

Some of you may have noticed the litle img on top of our site

blue_1.gif

I think most of you know firefox by now for those who don't:

Firefox is a lightweigt, fast webbrowser and can be compared to IE. But FF is more secure then IE. Where there is a new security problem with IE every week, only one small problem has been detected in FF so far and it was fixed before it was known to the public.

FF is free and fast. It's open source and available on all popular platforms (Windows, Linux, Mac, ... ). Join 4 million other ppl and download FF today by clicking here

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what cheap advertising blokker lol

how much do they pay you? :P

well, before my last reformat i had FF installed but i had no reason to switch my wb

Well, when you visit some websites, they don't even ask you if you want to install certain programs that have spyware. You end up getting browser hijackers (Which I've had to reformat a couple of times before because of) and other malicious programs. Firefox doesn't allows this to happen. I've battled with browser hijackers by modifying the registary, using ADaware and Spybot S-D (two of the most well-know anti spyware products) and other methods to get rid of broswer hijackers, but most you cannot get rid of. Play it Safe. Get Firefox. And enjoy tabbed browsing!

i've used IE since... oh WIN95 and browser hijacks happen true, but they really dont bother me any. SP2 pop up blocker really helps IE be more useful. You can still get by places that have the installer windows and popups that come up when you click through a site. Adaware always logs the hijacks but I dont think much of it, my computer still runs 100% today no adware or programs installed without my permission.

i've used IE since... oh WIN95 and browser hijacks happen true, but they really dont bother me any. SP2 pop up blocker really helps IE be more useful. You can still get by places that have the installer windows and popups that come up when you click through a site. Adaware always logs the hijacks but I dont think much of it, my computer still runs 100% today no adware or programs installed without my permission.

In that case you dont surf like most people.

Anyways lets see if you people will stick with ie (especially people runnign older OS) starting from now as any future IE releases will only be on win xp sp2 and newer, everyone that has win 98 ( for word) or any other windows operating system other then xp, for you the be able to get newer/better IE you will have to pay $100~$200 for xp.

Yes but firefoz is secure. Wait until you have a browser hijack, maybe you'll think differently then.

I had a brower hijack, it forced my browser into some adware search site, overwrote google, etc all the typical hijack stuff.. but I removed it by hand, it was a bitch, but do-able none the less, you just need alot of techincal pc skills \ resources, or you could do more damage than was done

however I still use IE or my own web browser that I programmed, but its more of an IE wrapper than a full fleged browser, because it uses IE's core, that isnt affted by hijacks, yet still can trigger them. Whatever, I like my combo, and should a hijacker come a knocking, it'll get its ass kicked by me.

In that case you dont surf like most people.

Anyways lets see if you people will stick with ie (especially people runnign older OS) starting from now as any future IE releases will only be on win xp sp2 and newer, everyone that has win 98 ( for word) or any other windows operating system other then xp, for you the be able to get newer/better IE you will have to pay $100~$200 for xp.

if your pc can run windows XP

I use IE, but I thought I'd try out Firefox to see what the fuss was about. I still haven't found out.

I found it slower than IE, I never used tabbed browsing and using my scroll wheel caused it to "jump" down the page rather than smoothly scrolling (a minor point, I know, but it's what I'm used to). Feature-wise, it was very similar to IE, with the exception of "revolutionary" tabbed browsing which I never used.

I don't know where you guys get spyware and browser hijacks from, as I've only ever got tracking cookies. I've also never had a virus. It all depends on what kind of sites you visit, hence IE is secure for my usage.

• MTA Team

ransom, i hope you got a good virus scanner :P

IE is unsafe and is a clone from Netscape. It runs behind on features and is large and you need to update almost every week.

Also if you use the IE ocx or whatever in ur own created software you are still vulnerable. The same as when you use MyIE2

And every modern PC can run XP. You need about 500 to 700MHz and a minimum of 128MB ram.

• MTA Team
I use IE, but I thought I'd try out Firefox to see what the fuss was about. I still haven't found out.

I found it slower than IE, I never used tabbed browsing and using my scroll wheel caused it to "jump" down the page rather than smoothly scrolling (a minor point, I know, but it's what I'm used to). Feature-wise, it was very similar to IE, with the exception of "revolutionary" tabbed browsing which I never used.

I don't know where you guys get spyware and browser hijacks from, as I've only ever got tracking cookies. I've also never had a virus. It all depends on what kind of sites you visit, hence IE is secure for my usage.

There's more. IE is taking over it's features like a popup blocker and a download manager. FF also has a search box in the top right and a you can add a lot more plugins. Since you never used tabbed browsing you need to learn to work with it. I find it more convinient then IE that fills ur task bar.

Also it's not only browser hi-jacks and spyware. IE is also responsible for a lot of viri and other malware.

In my eyes IE isn't any good. it has always been a clone from Netscape-Mozilla-Firefox to me. It's insecure and an excuse for MS. There is only one kind of ppl that can safely use IE on the net. Ppl that know what they are doing and don't visit many websites. I don't trust my dad with IE and i myself prefer tabbed browsing, cross platform usage and a decent popup blocker.

• MTA Team
And every modern PC can run XP. You need about 500 to 700MHz and a minimum of 128MB ram.

well, it CAN run xp, but xp and OTHER things, it cant. believe me. i know.

I've used XP on a 7000 with 128 on multiple machines now and it is do-able. As long as you don't install to much.
There's more. IE is taking over it's features like a popup blocker and a download manager. FF also has a search box in the top right and a you can add a lot more plugins. Since you never used tabbed browsing you need to learn to work with it. I find it more convinient then IE that fills ur task bar.

I usually only have 2 or 3 IE windows open at a time anyway. When IE screwed up on my other machine, I ran Netscape and couldn't find a use for tabbed browsing then either.

Also, I have the Google toolbar installed so I can easily type a search query into the box, but I always choose to go specifically to the site (which happens to conveniently be my homepage). That's the way I choose to work.

In my eyes IE isn't any good. it has always been a clone from Netscape-Mozilla-Firefox to me. It's insecure and an excuse for MS. There is only one kind of ppl that can safely use IE on the net. Ppl that know what they are doing and don't visit many websites. I don't trust my dad with IE and i myself prefer tabbed browsing, cross platform usage and a decent popup blocker.

Speaking of clones, I can't really tell the difference between Firefox, Opera and Netscape. However, I do agree that MS seem to be putting less effort into IE now that they have such a high market share.

I don't think it's a matter of how many sites you visit, but more what kind of sites you visit. I mainly visit forums and news sites, all of which are completely trustworthy.

Well, Netscape is basically dead (one new version in two years I think) and Opera charges you (and I found it cluttered to use). I was sceptical about switching browser, but once I started using firefox for a few days I was "hooked". Tabbed browsing is really useful, as are the extensions such as AdBlock (very good at blocking ads) and the developer bar (really good for web developers).

eAi