LAN Party

for a LAN party, you dont actually need internet access if all the shits installed do u, cos your playing it across your rotuer?

no Jani you don't need internet connection (still fun to be able to invite friends from the MTA community :)) Only possible problem is that your server could use a bit time to get on ASE

NOTE: don't connect until the server is ready on ASE, or u'll get join flood banned from your own server :P This is caused by the server trying to get the scanner working, it doesn't cause it can't connect to the internet.

I recommend you have MTA:mA connected, so you can have manhunts (if you are that many :P)

NOTE: don't connect until the server is ready on ASE, or u'll get join flood banned from your own server :P This is caused by the server trying to get the scanner working, it doesn't cause it can't connect to the internet.

Er... what? I always disable ASE reporting when playing over a LAN.

Er... what? I always disable ASE reporting when playing over a LAN.

yes but its on by default, just wanted to help prevent him from getting himself banned. (sometimes people have problems getting unbanned, even when they erase the ip in the banlist.)

edit: also you'll find it much more convient to connect through ASE on LAN (Special/LAN servers in ASE.) Saves you the trouble of giving them the ip... yeah I know im lazy 8)

well we got quite a nice 6 computer setup, all flatscreens (execpt for 1), 1.8ghz, geforce 4 etc, but so far we have only 4 players. my mate (the network admin) also has 1.5mbps broadband across the LAN, but were probably gonna keep it limited to our 6 computers for the first few hours before we play it online. btw, would u get any lag across the network? he has some like US robotics wireless router and turbo access point thingy, 100mbps or something.

well we got quite a nice 6 computer setup, all flatscreens (execpt for 1), 1.8ghz, geforce 4 etc, but so far we have only 4 players. my mate (the network admin) also has 1.5mbps broadband across the LAN, but were probably gonna keep it limited to our 6 computers for the first few hours before we play it online. btw, would u get any lag across the network? he has some like US robotics wireless router and turbo access point thingy, 100mbps or something.

hehe that sounds fun :) when we were at our most on LAN we had 12 players, wired network, my house was stuffed :P

There have been issues before on wireless internet players, appearently they "teleport" cause your computer searches for a better network every min or sumthin like that, there was a thread about that somewhere on the forum. I myself often play MTA on WLAN to my friend, and he doesn't teleport. But if people complain then this could be the reason just so you know.

As to the lag, umm ping should stay at 5-15 and you will still notice that the netcode isn't perfect, but its runs very smooth.

Have fun with it!

edit: here's the relevant topic if you have Wireless Internet and are experiencing teleporting.

http://forum.mtavc.com/viewtopic.php?t=7017

hehe that sounds fun :) when we were at our most on LAN we had 12 players, wired network, my house was stuffed :P

There have been issues before on wireless internet players, appearently they "teleport" cause your computer searches for a better network every min or sumthin like that, there was a thread about that somewhere on the forum. I myself often play MTA on WLAN to my friend, and he doesn't teleport. But if people complain then this could be the reason just so you know.

As to the lag, umm ping should stay at 5-15 and you will still notice that the netcode isn't perfect, but its runs very smooth.

Have fun with it!

edit: here's the relevant topic if you have Wireless Internet and are experiencing teleporting.

http://forum.mtavc.com/viewtopic.php?t=7017

you have 12 computers? holy fuck, i have 2.

I normally get an 8ms ping on each machine when playing over a 100 Base-T network. I sometimes connect my laptop up wirelessly - it only goes up to 12Mbps but the ping's about the same.

:twisted:

How do you start a LAN game without the internet :twisted:

Also what other programs do i need to get a server started and how do i start a server

Edited by Guest

in 3 weeks we (my friends and I) are seting up a lan party - 8 pc's

at home we have 2 pc's with LAN (can't play mta becouse my dad doesn't want vice city on his pc)

so I've allreade created the server for the lan party (saves time when the pc's are all connected) and I tested it (since we have lan, I have an IP adress)

but the ingame chat (T) and status (F11) don't work,

wat can be wrong?

is there something wrong with my config.cfg?

read only is enabled, and the file is in archive

(I posted this allso in support forum, but I didn't get answer)

go to config.cfg(in your gta3/vc directory) properties and check if 'read only' is on. if not, turn it on.

I'm not sure. I would think that it should be turned off, how can you save the bind keys when its on?

checked mine, I don't have it on :P

Changing its attributes to read only was an old preventative measure when colour coding was discovered by some players, the use of which would often overwrite the contents of other players configs entirely.

There should be no need to do so now.

• 1 month later...
:twisted: i need some step by step instrictions on how to start and run a server and the programs that go with it so i can play at home with out internet access with only three computers