Sign in to follow this  
jingzhi

Please help me with this table problem

if getElementSpeed(for id, vehicle in ipairs(getElementsByType("vehicle"))) > 120 

I want to make this script to determine if a vehicle has speed above 120 kmh, but getElementByType(vehicle) give me a table, so how should i write this? I am noob and didn't know all these commands and arguments for table yet, so please please explain me in detail, thank you very very much :)

function getElementSpeed(theElement, unit) 
    -- Check arguments for errors 
    assert(isElement(theElement), "Bad argument 1 @ getElementSpeed (element expected, got " .. type(theElement) .. ")") 
    assert(getElementType(theElement) == "player" or getElementType(theElement) == "ped" or getElementType(theElement) == "object" or getElementType(theElement) == "vehicle", "Invalid element type @ getElementSpeed (player/ped/object/vehicle expected, got " .. getElementType(theElement) .. ")") 
    assert((unit == nil or type(unit) == "string" or type(unit) == "number") and (unit == nil or (tonumber(unit) and (tonumber(unit) == 0 or tonumber(unit) == 1 or tonumber(unit) == 2)) or unit == "m/s" or unit == "km/h" or unit == "mph"), "Bad argument 2 @ getElementSpeed (invalid speed unit)") 
    -- Default to m/s if no unit specified and 'ignore' argument type if the string contains a number 
    unit = unit == nil and 0 or ((not tonumber(unit)) and unit or tonumber(unit)) 
    -- Setup our multiplier to convert the velocity to the specified unit 
    local mult = (unit == 0 or unit == "m/s") and 50 or ((unit == 1 or unit == "km/h") and 180 or 111.84681456) 
    -- Return the speed by calculating the length of the velocity vector, after converting the velocity to the specified unit 
    return (Vector3(getElementVelocity(theElement)) * mult).length 
end 

for id, vehicle in ipairs(getElementsByType("vehicle")) do 
    if getElementSpeed(vehicle, 1) > 120 then 
    --[...] 
    end 
end 

There you are:

local vehTable = getElementsByType("vehicle") 

setTimer(function() 
    for k, v in ipairs(vehTable) do 
        if getElementSpeed(v, 1) > 120 then 
            outputChatBox(getVehicleName(v).." is now at speed greater than 120 KM/H!") 
        end 
    end 
end, 3000, 0) 

However you need to grab one "Useful function" from wiki which is:

assert(isElement(theElement), "Bad argument 1 @ getElementSpeed (element expected, got " .. type(theElement) .. ")") 
    assert(getElementType(theElement) == "player" or getElementType(theElement) == "ped" or getElementType(theElement) == "object" or getElementType(theElement) == "vehicle", "Invalid element type @ getElementSpeed (player/ped/object/vehicle expected, got " .. getElementType(theElement) .. ")") 
    assert((unit == nil or type(unit) == "string" or type(unit) == "number") and (unit == nil or (tonumber(unit) and (tonumber(unit) == 0 or tonumber(unit) == 1 or tonumber(unit) == 2)) or unit == "m/s" or unit == "km/h" or unit == "mph"), "Bad argument 2 @ getElementSpeed (invalid speed unit)") 
    local mult = (unit == 0 or unit == "m/s") and 50 or ((unit == 1 or unit == "km/h") and 180 or 111.84681456) 
end 

Add both those codes in your script's client side and start it, the function in first code will check speed of every vehicle in server every 3 seconds and will output a message to player alogwith vehicle name (I made it so that you can get to know the table better :))

There you are:
local vehTable = getElementsByType("vehicle") 

setTimer(function() 
    for k, v in ipairs(vehTable) do 
        if getElementSpeed(v, 1) > 120 then 
            outputChatBox(getVehicleName(v).." is now at speed greater than 120 KM/H!") 
        end 
    end 
end, 3000, 0) 

However you need to grab one "Useful function" from wiki which is:

end 

Add both those codes in your script's client side and start it, the function in first code will check speed of every vehicle in server every 3 seconds and will output a message to player alogwith vehicle name (I made it so that you can get to know the table better :))

Thank you very much Ryan, may I ask one more question : "for k,v in ipairs(vehTable) do" what this code means? What does k,v and ipairs means? :)

The table isn't numeric index therefore you should use pairs instead of ipairs.

about your question

k = iteration number

v = value of the table

it can be also like this

-- i or k it's the same 
for i , v in pairs (getElementsByType("vehicle")) do 
-- i is the index and v  it's value 
-- for pairs instead of "i" I usually use "k" wich means key (of the value). 

The table isn't numeric index therefore you should use pairs instead of ipairs.

about your question

k = iteration number

v = value of the table

it can be also like this

-- i or k it's the same 
for i , v in pairs (getElementsByType("vehicle")) do 
-- i is the index and v  it's value 
-- for pairs instead of "i" I usually use "k" wich means key (of the value). 

thank you very much :)

Actually K and V can be any variable:

for cat , dog in pairs (getElementsByType("vehicle")) do 

for mta , gta in pairs (getElementsByType("vehicle")) do 

for jingzhi , example in pairs (getElementsByType("vehicle")) do 

But people use single words, mostly K and V for keys and values, actually we are assigning a name to key part and values part from a table like we usually do:

local k = key 
local v = value 

... etc

But people use single words, mostly K and V for keys and values, actually we are assigning a name to key part and values part from a table like we usually do:

local k = key 
local v = value 

... etc

is "k" representing the variable of the name of one item in the table, and v showing it's value?

Some sort of this

shit = { "yo", "yo2" }

When it's at yo it will return 1 and when at yo2 it will return 2. Remember ipairs is only for indexed tables.

And v will show the value yo and yo2.

Some sort of this

:~ = { "yo", "yo2" }

When it's at yo it will return 1 and when at yo2 it will return 2. Remember ipairs is only for indexed tables.

And v will show the value yo and yo2.

Thank you very much, getting it now :)

local k = key 
local v = value 

... etc

Thank you :)